Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SNES Emulator with PS Controller on Android Tablet

• 28-10-2017 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Ello I've been trying to get a SNES Emulator working on Android Tablet with PS4 Controller....a mate told me can just connect the wireless controller via bluetooth to tablet. (Samsung Galaxy Tab A Android 7.0)

That's very easy but the emulators I've tried don't seem to recognize the controller at all not sure what I'm supposed to be doing?
    (SuperRetro16, Snes9x EX+)

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidGami...ps4controller/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 emeraldeye

This is supposed to work https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.dancingpixelstudios.sixaxiscontroller (haven't tried it myself), and it requires a rooted device.

I use a cheap Gioteck wireless PS3 controller and an OTG (on the go) cable (micro to standard USB), works without any additional apps etc.

You could also use a wired controller or keyboard with the OTG cable; I have a Playstation (original) to USB adapter and that also works fine.

As long as the emulator allows mapping of buttons pretty much any input device should work. Robert Broglia does some of the best Android Emulators and his SNES one is free (no ads etc) https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.explusalpha.Snes9xPlus

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Morshlac

Thanks for Reply. Yes I had downloaded the Snes9x EX+ .

I'd like to get wireless controller's working if possible..
    My Dualshock PS4 controllers are old ones and I have read online that only the newer ones work....so current plan is likely to buy a new one of these and try that with a couple of the Emulators.

will update here on how I go..

Morshlac wrote: »
    Thanks for Reply. Yes I had downloaded the Snes9x EX+ .

I'd like to get wireless controller's working if possible..
    My Dualshock PS4 controllers are old ones and I have read online that only the newer ones work....so current plan is likely to buy a new one of these and try that with a couple of the Emulators.

will update here on how I go..

Good luck :)

I also have a Gametel bluetooth controller which works with Android devices, this is good but battery life is not as good as the Gioteck PS3 controller (which is also wireless; not bluetooth); to use that I plug an OTG cable into my tablet, then the wireless donlge into that.

There are plenty of other wireless Android controllers that should work, I would personally go with one that does not use bluetooth as they are more reliable and use less battery. Some of the Android specific controllers are also supported by certain games.

If you go for the PS4 controller route I'd be interested to know how you get on as I also have some PS4 controllers :D

I bit the bullet bought new PS4 controller from argos  (PS4 DualShock 4 V2 Wireless Controller - Magma Red)

It work great!
    I ended up using SuperRetro16 has a great easy to use interface and settings..
    I turn off wireless to play (some advise in forums to do that) but the bluetooth connection seems seamless so far no lag at all.

The SNES mini seem to be all the rage at the moment...but if you have a tablet with newer version of Android (4.0 or later i think)....for me this is pretty decent/portable option for Snes gaming.
    Plus can handpick all the games you want...pretty happy with my final catalog :)

not sure if could connect a second controller don't think bluetooth supports this, I am looking into..

I bit the bullet bought new PS4 controller from argos  (PS4 DualShock 4 V2 Wireless Controller - Magma Red)

It work great!
    I ended up using SuperRetro16 has a great easy to use interface and settings..
    I turn off wireless to play (some advise in forums to do that) but the bluetooth connection seems seamless so far no lag at all.

The SNES mini seem to be all the rage at the moment...but if you have a tablet with newer version of Android (4.0 or later i think)....for me this is pretty decent/portable option for Snes gaming.
    Plus can handpick all the games you want...pretty happy with my final catalog :)

not sure if could connect a second controller don't think bluetooth supports this, I am looking into..

That's good to hear :D

I'm not sure if you can use two bluetooth controllers at once as they both need to send and receive data, and I think only one device can do that at a time; you could probably have another type of controller connected using an OTG cable in the micro USB port and a wireless dongle.

Great games on the SNES ;)

• Advertisement

Yes I think thats correct re:Bluetooth .
    I've just bought an OTG cable online pretty cheap
    so can hopefully connect an older Dualshock using that at the same via USB...for 2 player option
    Some great games indeed takes you back to the days of the Golden Joystick on Gamemaster :P

Yes I think thats correct re:Bluetooth .
    I've just bought an OTG cable online pretty cheap
    so can hopefully connect an older Dualshock using that at the same via USB...for 2 player option
    Some great games indeed takes you back to the days of the Golden Joystick on Gamemaster :P

excellent biggrin.png I also have SuperRetro16, I haven't tried 2 player yet; curious to see how well that works :)

talking of Gamesmaster https://archive.org/details/gamesmaster?sort=titleSorter ;)

Some more fun and games..

I was up staying with mate in Dublin and luckily the OTB cable arrived before I left.
    After a few beers we attempted Mario Kart, SF2 Turbo and Mortal Kombat in 2 player but the controllers just spamming all over the place :(
    (one Old Wireless Dualshock connected via USB+OTB cable to Tablet  ,one New Wireless Dualshock connecting via bluetooth)
    When looked again next morning realised the controller mapping settings a bit confusing in SuperRetro16 and had actually set it so both controllers controlling both Players!!
    but alas when i fixed it still doesn't work properly, the cabled OTB controller then works fine for player 1....but the 2nd bluetooth connected controller still spams...not quite as bad as it seems to tend to go on in one direction or punch all the time...but still unplayable...
    Tried a few games same for all.

So have emailed SuperRetro16 devs see can they offer a solution, they show 2 controllers in settings but don't see any other way you'd get 2 controllers to connect to the tablet (bluetooth won't support 2 controllers connected.

Btw  Snes9x EX+ doesn't support 2 Controllers apparently from what i've read (did give it a go cudn't really make sense of its menu either)

so all in all bit frustrating.

I did enjoy playing 1 player Super Mario World all the way home on bus though (1 player seems to work fine either connection option)
    Mario was a limited character but still fells like he had a personality love the look up motion he does for instance...and the power ups are still fun :)

Some more fun and games..

I was up staying with mate in Dublin and luckily the OTB cable arrived before I left.
    After a few beers we attempted Mario Kart, SF2 Turbo and Mortal Kombat in 2 player but the controllers just spamming all over the place :(
    (one Old Wireless Dualshock connected via USB+OTB cable to Tablet ,one New Wireless Dualshock connecting via bluetooth)
    When looked again next morning realised the controller mapping settings a bit confusing in SuperRetro16 and had actually set it so both controllers controlling both Players!!
    but alas when i fixed it still doesn't work properly, the cabled OTB controller then works fine for player 1....but the 2nd bluetooth connected controller still spams...not quite as bad as it seems to tend to go on in one direction or punch all the time...but still unplayable...
    Tried a few games same for all.

So have emailed SuperRetro16 devs see can they offer a solution, they show 2 controllers in settings but don't see any other way you'd get 2 controllers to connect to the tablet (bluetooth won't support 2 controllers connected.

Btw Snes9x EX+ doesn't support 2 Controllers apparently from what i've read (did give it a go cudn't really make sense of its menu either)

so all in all bit frustrating.

I did enjoy playing 1 player Super Mario World all the way home on bus though (1 player seems to work fine either connection option)
    Mario was a limited character but still fells like he had a personality love the look up motion he does for instance...and the power ups are still fun :)

Aw, that's a shame, it sounds like both the d-pads are sending navigation (not sat nav) commands, like how old Android phones used to have a sort of ring d-pad. Have you tried mapping up, down, left, right on the pads?

My Gametel pad has some settings and one of those settings has the same issue; if I tell it to act as an Android controller it also uses the d-pad for navigation from within Android, if I tell it to act like a PC controller then the d-pad is mapped differently.

I'm not really sure if that's what's going on, but it could explain why one pad is controlling the other.

I think MAME4droid supports two controllers so you could see if the same issue happens with that? (0.37b5 runs better for most games, although less are supported)

Advertisement