Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What you see in Dublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Culchie is grand, surely? I'd take "bogger" in the spirit it's intended though.

I like the term culchie, to me a bogger is part of the rural population that gives the rest of us a bad name, they're backward, pretty inbred and hostile to anything or anybody that doesn't resemble them. They also tend to be well-off, politically connected and corrupt, which is something a lot of urban people I've met don't seem to realise about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,060 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

A lot of talk about kids there.

Yeh ? So ? Its what I saw this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I saw what a lot of you lot would call “scum” giving re-usable plastic bags to some rural shoppers who’s paper Pennys bags had burst open on Liffey street in the pissing rain on Saturday morning.

I see random acts of kindness every time I’m in Dublin city centre. Probably because I don’t walk around with a superiority complex & my nose stuck up in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭ Anderson Hollow Dipstick

Seanachai wrote: »

I like the term culchie, to me a bogger is part of the rural population that gives the rest of us a bad name, they're backward, pretty inbred and hostile to anything or anybody that doesn't resemble them. They also tend to be well-off, politically connected and corrupt, which is something a lot of urban people I've met don't seem to realise about them.

It'd be like the difference between "Dub" and "Jackeen" to me, both slang terms but one is obviously a lot more deliberately derogatory and provocative than the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

It was not a nice sight to greet you, OP, but that's life for you, and to be honest you could have seen worse by times anywhere in the world. Even here in the local village we once had to rescue a drunk stranger who had pulled down his pants, fallen on the street and crapped himself. You see bad stuff the odd time.

Does anyone remember in the 80s the groups of ragged children who used to be crouched down in front of the shops opposite O'Connell bridge, with plastic bags of glue in their hands, and their heads buried in them. When they lifted their heads, you could see from the shop lighting that their little eyelashes would be glued together and their nostrils were gummed up, some of them looked to be pre-school ages and they were beyond out of their heads. That's what I remember seeing when I first went to Dublin as a 16 year old, there were many such sights of an evening on my wanderings as I got used to the place.

To be honest the city looks a lot better now than then. The walk between Connolly and Heuston through Temple Bar and the Christchurch area and past the old city walls is really lovely. Stephen's Green is still looking good, also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Zorya wrote: »
    It was not a nice sight to greet you, OP, but that's life for you, and to be honest you could have seen worse by times anywhere in the world. Even here in the local village we once had to rescue a drunk stranger who had pulled down his pants, fallen on the street and crapped himself. You see bad stuff the odd time.

Does anyone remember in the 80s the groups of ragged children who used to be crouched down in front of the shops opposite O'Connell bridge, with plastic bags of glue in their hands, and their heads buried in them. When they lifted their heads, you could see from the shop lighting that their little eyelashes would be glued together and their nostrils were gummed up, some of them looked to be pre-school ages and they were beyond out of their heads. That's what I remember seeing when I first went to Dublin as a 16 year old, there were many such sights of an evening on my wanderings as I got used to the place.

To be honest the city looks a lot better now than then. The walk between Connolly and Heuston through Temple Bar and the Christchurch area and past the old city walls is really lovely. Stephen's Green is still looking good, also.

Exactly, my brother witnessed a pretty prominent horsie culchie guy unload into his own pants a few weeks ago in a packed pub, he had an entourage to carry him out though to limit the damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Culchie is grand, surely? I'd take "bogger" in the spirit it's intended though.

Muck savage is problematic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Rylie Spoiled Memoir

I worked on the door of a rock bar on Aston Quay for 7 years and overwhelmingly tourists would mention the amount of addicts, dealers and beggars.

Myself I see this too, shame really because I love my city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Muck savage is problematic.

I'm abroad a fair bit. If it's any consolation to anyone lots think Ireland is mostly rural with limited to no internet etc... oh wait...

I'm abroad a fair bit. If it's any consolation to anyone lots think Ireland is mostly rural with limited to no internet etc... oh wait...

How do you even have those conversations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

223vmax wrote: »
    Must admit I don't go to Dublin often. However on a recent trip there last week I couldn't believe what I saw. Walking from Temple Bar back to Heuston station I came upon a group of 6 or 7 druggies. One of them was sat on his heels with his tracksuit bottoms round his thighs. His hand reached around and he was routing himself out for a baggie of drugs.... Totally honorific! I was only glad I didn't have my young family with me. This got me thinking - others in Dublin on a regular basis must see some awful sights. What have you seen that made you think WTF!!!

Should have got yourself out to Malahide or Howth or Clontarf or Raheny or Glasnevin or the Phoenix Park or Grafton Street or St Stephens Green or Ballsbridge or Blackrock or Rathgar or Ranelagh or Rathmines or Dun Laoghaire or Dalkey or Dundrum or etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

Yeah Dublin is not the only place like that op.. Local town drunk in my town picked Up a shnack box left over after a night out the following morning and ate It. He also pisses on the main street with his pants down in broad daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yeah, was in Dublin for the first time in a long while last month and the moment I exited Heuston station I went straight to the luas only to see 4 junkies standing by the ticket kiosk having a chat. I was so pissed off that the moment I seen them I said forget the Luas and walked into the city instead. What a terrible impression of Dublin this gives when the moment you set foot in Dublin the first thing you see is junkies. I don't know what it is about the Heuston/Luas area but junkies are always hanging around there. There must be radical lefties working in the council who maybe feel the race of junkies have a right to meander around wherever they feel like, for equality sake.

As a dub, this does my head in. Whether it be Hueston or Christchurch, you have this lot out dealing tablets and goofing off and it’s the first thing the culchies and tourists have to see. Guards just leave them be. I think the culchie guards do it on purpose.

As a dub, this does my head in. Whether it be Hueston or Christchurch, you have this lot out dealing tablets and goofing off and it’s the first thing the culchies and tourists have to see. Guards just leave them be. I think the culchie guards do it on purpose.

What about the dub guards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

I worked on the door of a rock bar on Aston Quay for 7 years and overwhelmingly tourists would mention the amount of addicts, dealers and beggars.

Many's a time I'd be at that particular bar having a smoke (chatted to you sometimes too!) outside and scrotes would pile around the smokers begging for money :pac: Was offered coke and pills in there more times than I can count too :pac:

Have to say, I've noticed far higher numbers of drunks/drug users out begging on the streets in the city centre the last month than I saw before that. More aggressive ones too tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Tourists can go to feck, every city has its blackspots. I'd prefer if the emphasis was on quality of life for residents of the city no matter where they are from, as long as they are law abiding themselves.

Dublin City Council has a lot to answer for. They don't seem to venture out of their eyerie in either City Hall or Wood Quay to walk around and see for themselves what it can be like in some spots. Take around Merchant's Quay for example. Prime spot, Four courts on one side and Christ Church on the other, but no, there is a homeless shelter, a
    needle exchange and the area is right dodgy. Now they are putting in a self administering drug centre alongside it.

I am sorry, but I really don't see the logic of placing such centres in the city centre at all. They are after all places where dealing is rampant and there is an air of menace about these areas, and there are many of them dotted around the inner city. But someone might explain it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I am sorry, but I really don't see the logic of placing such centres in the city centre at all. They are after all places where dealing is rampant and there is an air of menace about these areas, and there are many of them dotted around the inner city. But someone might explain it to me.
    I expect it's about the entire public transport network being pointed there. Hard to expect a heroin user to drive to Monasterevin for his methadone.

What about the dub guards?

There are no dub guards in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭cian68

Yeah, was in Dublin for the first time in a long while last month and the moment I exited Heuston station I went straight to the luas only to see 4 junkies standing by the ticket kiosk having a chat. I was so pissed off that the moment I seen them I said forget the Luas and walked into the city instead. What a terrible impression of Dublin this gives when the moment you set foot in Dublin the first thing you see is junkies. I don't know what it is about the Heuston/Luas area but junkies are always hanging around there.

I haven't read the whole thread to see if other people caught this but what's going on here? They were standing? and chatting? The cheek of them.
    There must be radical lefties working in the council who maybe feel the race of junkies have a right to meander around wherever they feel like, for equality sake.

Yes actually. People who are addicted to heroin can take the same public transport you can. Its PC gone mad!

There are no dub guards in Dublin.

Do they all put on the accent then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Vita nova

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Cul an tí, Culchie, I don't use it myself because of oversensitivity and Political Correctiveness overloading. But why do you find it so insulting?

That's just one possible etymology; there are at least 3 others that I've mentioned in the past. The fact is that nobody can be certain of the term's origin.

To me and others, it's a synonym for an "unsophisticated country person", and I don't think one can lump everyone from rural Ireland or any other region into that category. Even when used as a joke or term of endearment I don't think it's particularly funny or endearing.

If that makes me sound like a drag then so be it.
    Google Definition taken from Oxforddictionaries.com
    an unsophisticated country person

cian68 wrote: »
    I haven't read the whole thread to see if other people caught this but what's going on here? They were standing? and chatting? The cheek of them.

Yes actually. People who are addicted to heroin can take the same public transport you can. Its PC gone mad!

Well, yes they can, as long as they pay. Usually don't have to pay coz they get the free travel scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,853 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

mikhail wrote: »
    I expect it's about the entire public transport network being pointed there. Hard to expect a heroin user to drive to Monasterevin for his methadone.

Bring the mountain to mohammed then and keep them out of the city centres :pac:

Sigh, that wasn't meant to be islamaphobic either BTW just a figure of speech, lest some multiculturalist gets into high dudgeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

What I notice when I go down home to my local country town is all the boarded up shops and what I notice in Dublin city centre is people sleeping in doorways and drug addicts. Both are not good looks, both sad scenes and both need more done about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

The thought of a lad fishing a bag of smack out of his hole, fingers covered in ****e to then prepare his fix and inject smack + ****e into his own veins...dreadful TBH. Poor bastard. His buddies around him begging to share the fix.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Raheem Euro

223vmax wrote: »
    The thought of a lad fishing a bag of smack out of his hole, fingers covered in ****e to then prepare his fix and inject smack + ****e into his own veins...dreadful TBH. Poor bastard. His buddies around him begging to share the fix.....

"..them drugs you're taking there, they came out of a black man's arse. Out of a black man's arse!...."

Big Joe Joyce youtube 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

I have seen Gardai walking past dealers handing over drugs on Talbot St. They looked but ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

cian68 wrote: »

Oh don't be so ridiculous. They weren't getting on the luas, they were loitering around there. For gods sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Why would he need to store it his arse?

All his pockets got holes in them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

A seagull viciously attack a German tourist.

A seagull attacked me in Stockholm.
    They clearly don't like outsiders.

They'd fit right in on Boards. :rolleyes:

Advertisement