Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE No Longer Allowed to Refer to Patients as "Love" or "Dear"

• 03-12-2018 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

As per Newstalk bulletin this morning, all HSE staff have been banned from using these terms. I don't really give a fiddlers myself but wondering what others think? Do you think it promotes a more professional demeanour? Do you think it strips back a bit of the caring approach and makes it more of an impersonal and rigid experience. Tell me your thoughts pet.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭ Gracelynn Panicky Ticker

Politically correct nonsense. A lot of elderly patients in particular would appreciate these terms. A bit of warmth and affection never hurt anybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

Omackeral wrote: »
    As per Newstalk bulletin this morning, all HSE staff have been banned from using these terms. I don't really give a fiddlers myself but wondering what others think? Do you think it promotes a more professional demeanour? Do you think it strips back a bit of the caring approach and makes it more of an impersonal and rigid experience. Tell me your thoughts pet.

My partner has been in hospital for the last month , very ill. She finds being being referred to as "dear" as condescending and patronising.
    Good to see action being taken on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

A lot of elderly patients in particular would appreciate these terms. A bit of warmth and affection never hurt anybody.
    She finds being being referred to as "dear" as condescending and patronising.

That's that cleared up so!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,395 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not a bad idea when you think about it. Definitely helps with the depersonalisation,as it says in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

She finds being being referred to as "dear" as condescending and patronising.
    Is that when used by the hospital staff or by you?

(And sorry to hear she is ill.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

You ok hun ? XOXO!

Serious part - I'm middle aged and don't find it offensive. Helps with the interpersonal connection between patients and nursing staff. Still professional in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

More evidence of the excessive amount of useless mandarins in the HSE, haven't they got more important things to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

This should be patient-driven. If any signficant proportion of patients find it demeaning, disempowering or disrespectful to be address as "love" or "dear", then it's a bad practice and should be discouraged. Whether you or I think they are right to find it demeaning, etc, is beside the point.

I take the point about trying to tackle the perception that the HSE is rigid or inhuman, but there are other ways to do that. Like using people's actual names, for instance. Or like just being helpful, supportive and sympathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

In Yorkshire it is "petal" or "flower"

fuss about nothing

Peregrinus wrote: »
    This should be patient-driven. If any signficant proportion of patients find it demeaning, disempowering or disrespectful to be address as "love" or "dear", then it's a bad practice and should be discouraged. Whether you or I think they are right to find it demeaning, etc, is beside the point.

I take the point about trying to tackle the perception that the HSE is rigid or inhuman, but there are other ways to do that. Like using people's actual names, for instance. Or like just being helpful, supportive and sympathetic.

They've been instructed to use people's names.

Remembering everyone's given the turn over of patients might be a pain though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Gotta love the HSE with upper management making those hard every day decisions that save lives and reinforcing why our health care system is the best in the world!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

Huns running HSE ban use of ‘love’ or ‘dear’!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,907 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

kneemos wrote: »
    They've been instructed to use people's names.

Remembering everyone's given the turn over of patients might be a pain though.
    Precisely. If the system is organised so that the staff can give the patients so little time and attention that they cannot remember their names, that would explain why the service comes across as rigid and inhuman. Trying to mask that with diminutives like "love" and "dear" is just papering over the cracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,971 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Huns running HSE ban use of ‘love’ or ‘dear’!!

U OK, hun?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

FFS. Because the HSE has no more pressing issues to be concerning themselves with....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Good to see the HSE focusing on the really important issues...

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Precisely. If the system is organised so that the staff can give the patients so little time and attention that they cannot remember their names, that would explain why the service comes across as rigid and inhuman. Trying to mask that with diminutives like "love" and "dear" is just papering over the cracks.

Surely you look to the root of the problem as to whythey don't get to spend enough time with them, e.g an over stretched system due to misallocation of resources..Fix that maybe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

My partner has been in hospital for the last month , very ill. She finds being being referred to as "dear" as condescending and patronising.

Are you ****ing kidding me ?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Samuel Vimes

nthclare wrote: »
    Are you ****ing kidding me ?

No.
    She finds the expression patronising and dismissive.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭k99_64

Graces7 wrote: »
    In Yorkshire it is "petal" or "flower"

fuss about nothing

In Nottingham its 'duck'

• Advertisement

No.

Well I hope she recovers soon, a month is a long time to be in hospital.

If I was being looked after properly and they called me a grumpy aul fecker I wouldn't mind.

Isn't it amazing how people differ as myself I'm old school and can accept people mean well.....

nthclare wrote: »
    Well I hope she recovers soon, a month is a long time to be in hospital.

If I was being looked after properly and they called me a grumpy aul fecker I wouldn't mind.

Isn't it amazing how people differ as myself I'm old school and can accept people mean well.....

More for the staff's benefit regarding attitude than the patients I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,876 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

So "sugar tits" is still okay then?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,594 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

No.

#MeToo

If you cannot be arsed remembering my name (which is usually on the chart in front of you), then I don't trust you to remember relevant medical details.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Nothing says personal care and attention like a doctor or nurse having to get your file to check who you are and use your name. Doesn't sound forced at all.

"hello................ "eh what town are we in tonight? Ah yeah, Springfield?" .............. Springfield, we love you, you're the best crowd on the tour "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

Spent several months in hospital myself with life changing injuries. No one , not even once, was in any way patronising. Everyone, from the cleaning staff to the surgical team were kind and considerate and professional

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Baybay

Another irritant is the use of we. As in, how are we doing today?

Find that & love or hun so patronising, dismissive & depersonalising in hospitals & elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Baybay wrote: »
    Another irritant is the use of we. As in, how are we doing today?

Find that & love or hun so patronising, dismissive & depersonalising in hospitals & elsewhere.

I think they should use patient number. Would be way better and won't upset any of the offended people.

"Patient #P3568299, how are you feeling today?"

namloc1980 wrote: »
    I think they should use patient number. Would be way better and won't upset any of the offended people.

"Patient #P3568299, how are you feeling today?"

• Advertisement

Alright love, how are we doing today dear.....

My opinion of that is, they're here to do a job if I want to feel victimised there's something seriouslllly wrong with me....

As long as I'm getting looked after I don't care.

Advertisement