Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What if Derby was the capital of England and the UK?

Options
  • 10-09-2018 6:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭

What if the UK government left London and headed north to the most central city in the UK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Odhinn

What if the UK government left London and headed north to the most central city in the UK?

.....why would they though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

We'd give an equal amount of f***s as we do about London being their current capital

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It would be like asking the Irish Government to move to Athlone. Its not going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭per aspera ad astra

This question needs so much more context...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

What if God were one of us?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Could happen, they could be out of Westminster for 10 years for restoration and refurbishments. And the capital is wherever parliament sits, there is nothing saying it has to be London, it just happens to be there...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,904 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

The people of Coventry would be up in arms asking why they aren't the new capital of England.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The Northern Powerhouse would become an actual fact. The Home Counties would vote to leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Why?

So what?

What if they moved to Sheffield?

When has the geographic centre of a country been a criteria for the seat of government?

Who in this country would give a tuppenny damn where it is?
    What if France moved their government back to the more central Vichy?

The notion is quite bizarre.

Legend has it that Derby has the highest ratio of single women to single men in the UK.

Not sure it’s relevant, but thought I’d throw it out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Aegir wrote: »
    Legend has it that Derby has the highest ratio of single women to single men in the UK.

That’s Nottingham

Just across the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Boris approves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Folkstonian

mikemac2 wrote: »

That’s Nottingham

Just across the way

I think more specifically it was Nottingham University. Probably the university with the highest number of poshos outside oxford and Cambridge too!

That’s Nottingham

Just across the way

Aah, the thing is, all the lads from Derby head over to Nottingham leaving Derby lasses man less.

Apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Derby lasses man less.

There's a name for a band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    It would be like asking the Irish Government to move to Athlone. Its not going to happen.
    We already have the Department of Education and Skills in Athlone. They just need to move the rest of the circus here.

Regarding making Derby the capital of the UK? Nah, clearly Carlisle is where it's at.

Why not just fukc things up completely and move it to Edinburgh? Or Derry? :)

Chester on the border of North Wales / England was suspected as being built as a base for invading Ireland and as a capital for a province covering Britain and Ireland. It never happened as politics meant the empire stopped expanding and the harbour silted up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

We already have the Department of Education and Skills in Athlone. They just need to move the rest of the circus here.

Regarding making Derby the capital of the UK? Nah, clearly Carlisle is where it's at.

Athlone is a dreary rundown kip with little appeal and a big shopping centre plonked in the middle. I can see the similarities....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Ballinasloe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

road_high wrote: »
    Athlone is a dreary rundown kip with little appeal and a big shopping centre plonked in the middle. I can see the similarities....
    Pretty accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Have I been drinking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

What if God were one of us?

What if god smoked cannabis....

Robin Williams thought he does

• Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I think more specifically it was Nottingham University. Probably the university with the highest number of poshos outside oxford and Cambridge too!

St Andrews, Exeter, Durham and Bristol would certainly disagree.

Londonedinburgh hasn't got the same ring to it as Londonderry though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Derby? Why derby?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

oh-my-god-who-the-hell-cares.jpg

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

That’s Nottingham

Just across the way

The odds are good but the goods are odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,871 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Athlone was the location for Ireland's Cold War nuclear bunker, so yeah, if Dublin was gone, it'd be the capital!

The UK equivalent was in Wiltshire, so Derby's not even the backup...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continuity_of_government#Ireland_(Republic_of)

Winchester was the Anglo-Saxon capital, so no idea where this Derby idea came from!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

What if they moved to Sheffield?

Please no. I don't want those inept, corrupt Tory hoof-w@nking bungle-cvnts near me thanks.

Advertisement