Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nvidia RTX Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Wonder will 3dmark bring out a ray trace benchmark?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,416 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

[
    Also the 1080 series was a lot faster in VR than the previous series. At least 3 times I recall and it didn’t make a difference.
    While ray tracing will be the future of gaming there’s no way it will be achieved fully in the 2080 series.
    Will be at least gen2 or gen3 for it to be fully onboard with respectable fps at 4K.

Pre-orders pretty much sold out everywhere on the 2080 and 2080 ti, so likely this is going to be a success for Nvidia. Lot of chatter online about it. Most moderates want to see the benchmarks before making a decision, lot of people getting irate about it because this first gen card is going to be some first gen ****. Everyone agrees its a bit pricey and that games will likely be unoptimised at launch. Every seems to agree these will be the fastest available cards for a while and will offer good 4k single card performance in upcoming games. New SLI link technology too, interesting as I though Nvidia were really phasing this out. Ray tracing seems something that would scale well with SLI.

I actually have a Phsyx accelerator card, that was sooo cool at the time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Interesting discussion here, @ 20:10 sums it up for me in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭keffiyeh

Dcully wrote: »
    Interesting discussion here

You can always trust on Richard and John to be some of the only voices worth listening to on gaming. Extremely experienced and knowledgeable guys.

• Advertisement

keffiyeh wrote: »
    You can always trust on Richard and John to be some of the only voices worth listening to on gaming. Extremely experienced and knowledgeable guys.

The chap with the glasses in particular is always very good and informative.

The chap with the glasses in particular is always very good and informative.

Both of them wear glasses :P Richard has been writing for gaming magazines for donkey's years, not sure what John's deal specifically is but he is also extremely knowledgeable too. I love his DF Retro series. DF is one of the best gaming channels on youtube and it and the Retro series are only possible because of their knowledge and complete impartiality when it comes to platforms. Top lads the both of them and I'd love to talk games over a pint with them sometime :)

Meant the chap on the left with glasses sorry, maybe i should put my glasses on.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Considering that consoles might not even have the option for ray tracing, I believe calling them "peasants" is now accurate. :pac:

Jesus ****ing Christ. Is there ANY moderation on this subforum?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

keffiyeh wrote: »
    Jesus ****ing Christ. Is there ANY moderation on this subforum?

Yup.

keffiyeh and Bloodbath banned for three days.

Ghost and fitzgeme, you are very close to the edge yourselves.

Thread sanitized. Sorry if anything actually relevant got purged, though I doubt it.

As a note to other forumgoers, no, its not acceptable behaviour to retaliate against flamebait because then you've taken it. The amount of personal abuse both obvious and implied was wholly unacceptable, as was the overall thread derailment - one page of the thread was literally 80% sh!tposts. And a final note: the PCMR/mustard racer jokes are only acceptable when they are used as such. When they start being used for real to claim some sort of moral or sh!tpost high ground or insult other users it stops being a joke and starts being personal abuse and incitement with the appropriate consequences. If it gets too much I will end up having to ban all PCMR-related jokes from the forum entirely.

If this thread gets derailed again it will most likely be closed and a three-day timeout on the subject matter put in place.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

...just ...why?

Blazer banned for three days

I appear to have not made myself explicit enough: No more derailing this topic for the sake of exclusion, elitism or personal attack nor will this behaviour be tolerated on any thread here.

We've just had three people banned within three hours for the above in a forum that can go without anyone being banned for three years.

A lot of the worries about poor performance addressed here,3:15. It seems a lot of people are sore about the pricing and the implied obsolescence of the card in their machine and a feeling that Nvidia are forcing an upgrade. I think and its driving some anger with short sighted enthusiasts...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

A lot of the worries about poor performance addressed here,3:15. It seems a lot of people are sore about the pricing and the implied obsolescence of the card in their machine and a feeling that Nvidia are forcing an upgrade. I think and its driving some anger with short sighted enthusiasts...

That was a bit of a fluff piece really!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

The RE2 remake has been announced as another RTX supported title.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

That was a bit of a fluff piece really!

I think that's all we're going to be getting for the next month until the various reviews come out on these cards performance in real-world gaming.

superg wrote: »

Better figures than I was expecting. 1.5x in some titles is better than the 980 to 1080 bump, I am sure the final figures will be more nuanced. DLSS looks super interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

The RE2 remake has been announced as another RTX supported title.

Oh god, and I had trouble starting up REmake as its atmosphere was heavy enough already!

Also I have to give props to Nvidia; that FE card is sexy AF

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Looking forward to TTL's review of these cards,givin how the launch has gone and the pricing of the cards id imagine he will be throughly reviewing whats on offer. Most likely the 2070 would be where my interest lies. Ill have my slippers on,cup of tea and a few biscuits for that one:D

Had a look at the demos that are knocking about this morning,while RT obviously is really nice looking i dont think for me personally its worth the premium the 2080/2080 ti will cost.

Was never a major early adopter anyway so further down the line when its a bit more mainstream would probably be when id be more interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Better figures than I was expecting. 1.5x in some titles is better than the 980 to 1080 bump, I am sure the final figures will be more nuanced. DLSS looks super interesting

It does, really can't wait to see opinions when reviewers get their hands on the various iterations and properly put them through their paces. Hopefully the embargo lifts soon too.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Oh god, and I had trouble starting up REmake as its atmosphere was heavy enough already!

Also I have to give props to Nvidia; that FE card is sexy AF

Yeah, it's a far nicer looking card than most of the AIB boards I've seen so far. The EVGAs in particular are a big step down from their 10 series stuff. If you're into GPU aesthetics of course :o

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭ginger_hammer

Some more demos here
    https://hothardware.com/news/battlefield-5-mechwarrior-5-live-gameplay-nvidia-rtx-real-time-ray-tracing

Looks decent with the v2 bomb going down on the vid at 3:45

Reviews on September 14th, according to VideoCardz.

Gosh its gone quiet on the negative front since the performance figures came out. Jayztwocents had a great video on the backlash there. His take on the pricing is that the fiasco over the previous titan Xp has Nvidia calling the Titan the Ti now, the titan is moved into the professional space. So titans were always 1200 usd. However if that is the case then the benchmarks should show 1080ti versus 2080 not non ti to non ti so I am still a touch dubious.

I ordered a EVGA card the XC2 Ultra and agree that the aesthetics are questionable. I just like Evga cards over the years. No FTW cards available.

Edit I see the IPC shader performance chart is out...again an Nvidia chart, oh mwy gawd da Hype....

NVIDIA-Turing-vs-Pascal-Shader-Performance-1000x512.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

€1300 for the EVGA cards is pretty steep!

Think I'll wait on the sidelines for now and see how the reviews go.

Gosh its gone quiet on the negative front since the performance figures came out

You make it sound like we are disappointed IF those performance figures are true.
    They are best case scenario marketing figures , ill wait for the real figures thanks.

You make it sound like we are disappointed IF those performance figures are true.
    They are best case scenario marketing figures , ill wait for the real figures thanks.

Thats defo the wise decision, but yeah some people are disappointed, The GPU camps are very polarized, and a lot of people really want the early adopters to get stung. People get really offended and salty by people spending that sort of dosh on a card.

Problem is that with a die that size production yield may be an issue, the watch and wait camp may be half way into its life cycle before cards become widely available. Preorders are saturated, so even on release the late- early adopters are going to find it hard get cards, I doubt there will be volume near RRP until Feb/March 2019. Lack of card will drive prices up.

With cars people pre order all the time. Fan of a brand or model often buy a car well before known how it drives, nobody looses their minds about that

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i think its really silly to preorder one of these before having any non biased reviews of performance in rasterization compared to pascal. To me its a massive red flag that nvidias entire conference avoided just that issue.

Also watched the new jay2cents video on pricing and how its a good thing, in essence he is saying nvidia had just renamed the titan to 2080ti to avoid making it confusing and make the whole linup simpler from the start. Does he really think nvidia wont release a 2*** titan for €2000 and then a 2080ti^2 at €1200 if AMD/Intel do nothing over the next year or two.

I am personally excited to see the real world benchmarks on these cards but the prices are nuts, And i would consider myself an enthusiast when it comes to spending on pc hardware, have a lovely 1080ti that broke my previous limit "how much im willing to spend on a single component", no way in hell im spending 1200 or up on a gpu though. The problem is these 2080ti's probably will sell out everywhere and at the crazy prices, which will then lead nvidia to price the next generation way up again and again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

When the 8800gt was released, Nvidia made a huge deal about Shader Model 4.0, how they were the first for this new Directx 10 API and how it was going to revitalise the industry. By the time game engines used Shader model 4.0, most 8800's were sitting in dumps. This stands out in my head because I knew people at the time who chose the Nvidia card simply because of that.

When DX10, DX11 and DX12 were released it was such a big deal to get those cards out to work with the new API. Well(and this happend for dx10 and dx11 as well), lets see that big list of properly implemented DX12 games 3 years on? The 40-50% performance improvements for the same graphics? Where are the Multiadapter supported games for multi-gpu? Where are the riches that DX12 would bring to the market. What I see are benchmarks of a handful of AAA titles, in which you have to turn on DX12, that sometimes have better results and sometimes have worse. Most games still claim the DX12 mode is in beta.

I get it, ray tracing is the "next" big thing and nvida have timed hardware support in tandem with the API's support. Outside of a few paid off publishers doing game reworks to bodge it in, actual proper ray tracing in games will be a generation away. In the meantime, Nvidia will push out a handful of titles done with Crapworks code to make Ray tracing on AMD look bad and market the **** out of it. Meanwhile, its not available on 90% of the actual discrete graphics market, which right now is pretty much the 580 and the 1060 or older cards, or this generation since Nvidia have linked it to the high end. So for the majority of PC gamers, ray tracing means nothing.

In the meantime, for those with money to burn or don't care about what happens when dirty marketing tricks remove the last competitor in the market....

459166.png

459167.jpg

459168.jpg

459169.jpg

459170.png

Advertisement