Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you homophobic / transphobic

• 15-07-2018 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭

Seeing as theres a are you racist thread we can be just as civil in this one right?

Well? 13 votes

I am homopobic
    0% 0 votes
    I am transpobic
    7% 1 vote
    One of the above
    38% 5 votes
    Neither!!
    53% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

No, I've a good few friends both Males and females who are gay.

No big deal to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Fairly sure i spelled the poll options wrong thick that i am :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Fairly sure i spelled the poll options wrong thick that i am :pac:

Lol only copping it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

No I’m not. I believe as long as you are happy healthy and not doing harm to anybody that’s all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I wonder what the next are you thread will be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Depend on who’s asking. Some people would brand you transphobic for not sucking the flute off a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

What do both terms mean? Am I hostile to individual gay/trans people? Of course not. I couldn't care less. Am I slightly perturbed by the LGBT obsession among political/media types/corporations to the point where it is almost a religion? Yes. Do I believe that sex and gender are determined by biology? Yes. I'm not sure if that makes me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,079 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

What do both terms mean? Am I hostile to individual gay/trans people? Of course not. I couldn't care less. Am I slightly perturbed by the LGBT obsession among political/media types/corporations to the point where it is almost a religion? Yes. Do I believe that sex and gender are determined by biology? Yes. I'm not sure if that makes me either.

A rep will be around to inform you soon enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Disagreeing with gay/trans people is not the same as having a phobia of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,696 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Bitchy camp guys and those too quick to play the victim are pretty annoying.

Apart from that, what someone does in the privacy of their own bedroom is their own business.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

According to some people if you refuse to date a transgender person you're a transphobe, so I guess I am :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I'm not homophobic in that I have anything against gays but neither do I worry about gay rights. I didn't care either way about the gay marriage referendum so didn't bother voting. If they can get married it doesn't bother me but if they still weren't allowed to marry it wouldn't keep me awake at night. To be honest five years ago it would never even have entered my head that gay people would even want to get married. That's probably enough for some people to brand me as homophobic.

I'm transphobic in that I don't want to have sex with a man with a missing penis or don't lie awake at night worrying about transsexuals being thrown out of the American army and don't give a shite about their toilet habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

This post has been deleted.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I consider transgenders to have a mental illness. At least homosexuals can accept their own gender. Both are evolutionary failures though, genetic dead ends.

Mod-Perma Banned

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I consider transgenders to have a mental illness. At least homosexuals can accept their own gender. Both are evolutionary failures though, genetic dead ends.

I’d be interested in seeing the science behind this certainty.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

To post or not to post that is the question.

If I post do I offend, if I do not post, do I offend.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I think the link between LGB and T may be a little tenuous as T is not a sexuality. Unless it turns out for example that the vast majority of M to F people turn out to be lesbians or something thus explaining the correlation.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

I don't discriminate against any one group over another, I tend to hate everyone equally. Including you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

I detest when someone wants me to treat them based on their sexuality. Don’t assume I am a pr1ck to you because you’re gay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Poll is wrong the answer should be yes to all , and all funneled off for reeducation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,051 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Brian? wrote: »
    I’d be interested in seeing the science behind this certainty.
    Funny enough some research suggests that while gay men may not reproduce themselves directly(though many do, especially in years gone by where they had to "pass" and suffered through straight marriages), sisters of gay men are for some reason more likely to have slightly more kids. So the familial line gets a boost. Never mind that "evolution" is more complex than that. With social animals like ourselves it's often as much about the group and wider family as it is directly reproducing.

Never really had the anti gay thing TBH. And don't understand it either. I don't care what consenting adults get up to or who they fall in love with. I clearly remember having a thought experiment prompted by my dad when I was in my mid teens imagining a world where being straight was the minority state and not accepted by the society as normal, even to the point of physical threat. How would I survive in such a society? I truly couldn't imagine trying to "pass" for that normal. I'd likely head off to a monastery. I have a lot of sympathy for gay folks, especially back when I was growing up in the 80's, it's much better these days.

Transexuals? I knew one guy who became a gal many moons ago. The last time we met they seemed content in themselves, though they seemed content in themselves when they were a guy, so who knows folk's inner world. I do have serious misgivings on the matter of hormonal treatment for children, but otherwise and again like above whatever consenting adults want to do then fire away.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

What about blatant stupidity? Do you think it should be punished?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

I'm not 100% sure on the genetic dead end for gay people. I think I read that gay men would tend to have more sisters. Could be an evolutionary advantage by looking after their nephews/nieces who would have a greater chance of passing on their genes.

I think transgenderism probably is a mental illness but it doesn't bother me either way. Each to their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod-Locked for all the reasons

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement