Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Monster Hunter World

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

**** you Tobi-Kadachi. Just **** you.

3 attempts. And soooo close all 3 times but no cigar.

Probably easy to most so don’t laugh at the newb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Ugh, bit mad

Started fighting the dragon, rava something, fight went on for ages, i had him dead to rights so many times, ****er just kept flying off. I'm pretty sure i had him at his nest, and i got camera ****ed so many times and he feinted me a few times, i was kicking the **** out of him and then he got another lucky kill due to **** camera angles (the lock on mechanism is terrible, atleast make it smooth like bloodborne/souls) and then im running back to him again.. and hes just gone? WTF?? How annoying is that??? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

**** you Tobi-Kadachi. Just **** you.

3 attempts. And soooo close all 3 times but no cigar.

Probably easy to most so don’t laugh at the newb.

He was also the first monster to give me a hard time. Feinted twice on my first attempt. Failed my first quest today against a vicious little red bastatd in the rotten valley. Feels like some monsters enter like an enraged state where they strong combos together more. Feels like it's best to stow my gun and run for it in these instances. Or subdue the enemy with para or sleep or something

You using a ranged weapon? Ya tried many of them?

Been thinking of trying one out but not sure which to go with

I'm currently running the dual daggers, while nice, they just seem kinda boring, just mashing buttons..

I'm hoping the ranged weapons a more oomph, less mash mash mash :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

the targeting is a pain in the hole

• Advertisement

Yeah just tried the heavy bowgun there, while seeming OP when you're using the gatlin mode, the weapon swapping and slow as **** reloading/moving is tedious and i can see myself dying easily with tougher monsters... I dont know, maybe i just need to craft the right ammo?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You can change the target camera in the options to fixed, its alot better but not perfect.

nix wrote: »
    You using a ranged weapon? Ya tried many of them?

Been thinking of trying one out but not sure which to go with

I'm currently running the dual daggers, while nice, they just seem kinda boring, just mashing buttons..

I'm hoping the ranged weapons a more oomph, less mash mash mash :pac:

Yeah, i started with the dual blades but swapped to the Heavy Bowgun because, as you said the blades are way to mashy. With the blades it felt like in every situation where i can attack i just use the same combo. But with ammo from the gun it feels like they all have a place and time to use them. Tried all the ranged weapons and i only like the Heavy. Love the feel of it and cluster ammo + Wyvern Snipe/Ammo for some big numbers. The lightgun feels less fun, but could be good in a party as a support weapon. The bow feels to bland to use but it does looks really flashy

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Way more fun playing with other people IMO.

He was also the first monster to give me a hard time. Feinted twice on my first attempt.

Haha I’ve fainted 9 times in total considering failed the quest 3 times. Oops.

I’ll get there. I’m just getting used to things. Might send out an sos if I can’t get it on my own the next time.

• Advertisement

Haha I’ve fainted 9 times in total considering failed the quest 3 times. Oops.

I’ll get there. I’m just getting used to things. Might send out an sos if I can’t get it on my own the next time.

Gotta make sure to eat before all hunts, something with elemental resist is a good meal. Theres also tonnes of item in the crafting menu that can help you. Mega Nutrients and Welldone Steak are two i use on all hunts. Fighting it outside of its nest is also a good idea so it doesn't jump on the trees. But you can hit it while its on the trees to get a knockdown. Not sure if it works with the slinger, but it works with the Heavygun

i am really loving the chain gun its really great, so far i prefer it to the other ranged weapons, but i can see the other ones being better group play. Also i was on a hunt for two of those big lizzard lads at the start and a giant T rex came crashing through the map killed the one i was fighting then chased me around for like 10 minuets :D i lost him eventually. phew.

Lone Stone wrote: »
    i am really loving the chain gun its really great, so far i prefer it to the other ranged weapons, but i can see the other ones being better group play. Also i was on a hunt for two of those big lizzard lads at the start and a giant T rex came crashing through the map killed the one i was fighting then chased me around for like 10 minuets :D i lost him eventually. phew.

Man i havent got any **** like that happen at all, when another monster showed, it just ended up in both of them going for me :mad:

Anyway, one shotted the Tobi-Kadachi, pain in the hoop but once ya learn the move set its doable. was trying out the switch axe to for the first ime (its pretty good)

He can chase you about but he can also be useful during quests if he decides to start “playing” with the monster you’re chasing.

In other news I must say I’m completely sucked into this.
    11 hours already. Finally beat Tobi Kadachi.
    Time to start trying to get my head around the upgrading etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Giant trex? Was it green and looked like a giant pickle with its own music that makes you sh*t your pants? Goes super-saiyan after a couple of minutes, glowing red and breaths black hellfire? Yeah that's Picklejho :D Some people may call it Deviljho... but it's Picklejho :D:D:D

If said giant trex wasn't green and pickle-looking... then it wasn't Picklejho :D

jaxxx wrote: »
    Giant trex? Was it green and looked like a giant pickle with its own music that makes you sh*t your pants? Goes super-saiyan after a couple of minutes, glowing red and breaths black hellfire? Yeah that's Picklejho :D Some people may call it Deviljho... but it's Picklejho :D:D:D

If said giant trex wasn't green and pickle-looking... then it wasn't Picklejho :D

If hes just started its likely Anjanath, just had a mighty battle to kill him there.. loving the switch axe, its got a nice spread and good damage, and it has an ultimate thats pretty badass.. Though i will say this, how the monsters hp works in this is weird.

I got the Anjanath back to his lair, and id say 3 times i had him on the ground crying in pain whilst i unloaded combos into him, tearing him up, then with the switch axe, in the sword form when its charged you can impale the monster and surge electricity into him constantly tapping triangle and then it explodes.. badass looking.. SAVAGE to say the least, i done that to him 3 times and still the fecker gets up and i kill him just by swinging a random axe shot into his shin.... Id rather he dies when i impale his head and make it explode with a chain reaction :(

If hes just started its likely Anjanath, just had a mighty battle to kill him there.. loving the switch axe, its got a nice spread and good damage, and it has an ultimate thats pretty badass.. Though i will say this, how the monsters hp works in this is weird.

I got the Anjanath back to his lair, and id say 3 times i had him on the ground crying in pain whilst i unloaded combos into him, tearing him up, then with the switch axe, in the sword form when its charged you can impale the monster and surge electricity into him constantly tapping triangle and then it explodes.. badass looking.. SAVAGE to say the least, i done that to him 3 times and still the fecker gets up and i kill him just by swinging a random axe shot into his shin.... Id rather he dies when i impale his head and make it explode with a chain reaction :(

Aww... I need to hunt me some Picklejhos!

Tip for finishing off monsters, or just in general even. Now I'm assuming this works in World, it's been in the game for... pretty much forever so I assume it's still the same. When monsters are sleeping they take 2x as much damage from the very first hit they take. So if you're a GS (great sword) user, you can max charge and hit its head (or other body part of choice).

If you're not a GS user you can use bombs, again I'm assuming items from previous games are still in World, in this case Small Barrel Bombs, Barrel Bombs and Barrel Bombs +. Note Small Barrel Bombs (and Small Barrel Bomb +) are separate from the Barrel Bomb and Barrel Bomb+. Small Barrel Bombs detonate after a second or two, Barrel Bombs need to be detonated (either by hitting it, small bomb, etc). Note as well that monster attacks (breaths/spits/etc) can also detonate Barrel Bombs (and BB +).

Place down 2 Barrel Bomb +'s next to the monster's head. Then use a Small Barrel Bomb to detonate them. Be careful when setting off the small bomb, you do not want the small bomb to hit the monster, you want it to ONLY detonate the larger ones. As I said above, the first hit the monster takes is doubled, so if the small bomb hits it first, only its damage will be doubled and not the larger ones. So use the small one a short distance away from the monster.

You can put monsters to sleep yourself. If you're a gunner, some light and heavy bowguns have sleep shots. Bows can apply sleep coatings. You can craft drugged meat that you can place down in the world and there's a chance the monster will eat it. Not all carnivorous monsters eat the special meat though (there's also poison meat and paralysis meat). They only need to eat one meat for the status to take effect. But after they've eaten that meat, another one of the same type (sleep, paralysis, poison) won't work, or at least it would take a more than one so it's not worth it.

Speaking of carnivores, when you guys reach Diablos, that big butted dual horned desert flying demon with the biggest pain in the ars* tail you ever did see... don't use the meat cos it's a herbivore :D Speaking of that bart*rd... sonic bombs come in handy. Wait until it digs underground and throw it. You'll trap it for a couple of seconds, giving you free rein to attack. They don't work when it's in rage mode though. The only way you can tell if a monster is in rage mode is usually by the speed of its attacks, it gets a lot more violent for a short time. Some other monsters, like good old Picklejho, have a visual change. You'll learn as you go on.

Now all of the above is assuming that the mechanics/items/etc is the same as previous games, which I have no reason to suspect it's not. Now if you'll pardon me, I have to find my old PS3 and games cos I'm trading it in tomorrow for this sucker and a PS4 cos all this talk has given me an unquenchable thirst for monster blood! Rathalos... my oldest adversary... I'm coming for you!

Anyone know if Gamestop take WiiU consoles for trade in? I know they take the games but not sure if they take in the console. I'm buying the PS4 just for this, I need as much store credit as I can get!

Nice tips jaxxx! Sadly Deviljho isn't in the game yet, but will be added as free DLC later.

It seems i completed all the level 1 and level 2 optional quests, but the level 3 quests have a silver "Complete" next to them instead of the Gold sign the other two have. I have unlocked right up to level 5 optional but still level 3 is silver with no available quests in sight. Anyone who has golded the level 3 quests can give me a list? Its bugging the hell out of me

Nice tips jaxxx! Sadly Deviljho isn't in the game yet, but will be added as free DLC later.

It seems i completed all the level 1 and level 2 optional quests, but the level 3 quests have a silver "Complete" next to them instead of the Gold sign the other two have. I have unlocked right up to level 5 optional but still level 3 is silver with no available quests in sight. Anyone who has golded the level 3 quests can give me a list? Its bugging the hell out of me

PICKLEJHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!

http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Monster_Hunter:_World

That'll be your bread and butter for playing through the game. Gives you literally everything, from quests lists, monster weaknesses, etc. Now I don't know how complete it is at this moment but it'll be done in time.

As regards unlocking quests, you'll see on the 'glossary' of items just down from the basic details of the game, the bottom right option says 'Quests'. That'll give you a full list of quests, including the prerequisites for unlocking quests. Well I'm assuming it does, it did in the past games so don't shoot the messenger! I don't know about the expedition quests though as that's new in world. Hopefully you'll find an answer on the wiki.

Glad to be of help, anything else you guys would like help with just let me know and I'll help as best as I can :) Until tomorrow evening that is when I have a PS4 controller in my hand and flying through early game until my date with... Rathalos... Then farm the big fat red b*st*rd for his armour! Rathalos is male btw, his female equivalent is Rathian. Beware their tales cos they'll poison you if it makes contact which is a pain in the butt... literally!

Oh god... now just as I said 'farming him for his armour' I just realised what that means... farming plates.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Certain monsters have special very rare items that their repsective armours/weapons may need. In Rathalos' and Rathian's case, it's plates (in low rank, high rank it's rubies). To get them, you need to chop off their tail and there's a very small chance of getting them when you carve the tail... it's about 5% chance if I remember right. They can also be gotten from quest rewards as well, though the chance is still very low.

Another tip guys (geez things keep coming back into my head!) is killing and capturing. Most quests are kill quests, in which case you can EITHER kill or capture. The difference is, kills allow you to carve the monster at the end (most large monsters you get 3 carves, elder dragons you get... 6 carves I think and elder dragons cannot be caught btw). When you capture however, you get a greater number of rewards. So the trade off is carves vs rewards. Some items have better chance of getting from capture, others from carving.

Capture quests however is CAPTURE ONLY. If you accidentally kill the monster, you fail the quest. You can tell a monster is ready to capture when it starts to limp away. There was in the past armour skills that would alert you when a monster is ready to be captured, don't know if those skills have returned.

To capture btw, you need to put down a pitfall or a shock trap, wait for the monster to be caught in the trap and then throw tranquiliser bombs at them, it's usually 2 bombs that does it.

Again, all the above is assuming the mechanics/etc in World is the same as the old games.

• Advertisement

Another useful resource:

https://mhworld.kiranico.com

Has even more info than the wiki. If you're struggling to find a specific part of the monster, you can look the monster up here and it'll show you where/how you get the part, plus a ton more info with regards to pretty much everything.

Another tip, look up 'GaijinHunter' on Youtube. He is THE best Youtuber for Monster Hunter. Videos on how to use weapons properly, unlocking stuff, etc. He'll be uploading more and more about World as the weeks go on.

Aye i just killed Anjanath for the 2nd time (i done about 1/4 of the damage to him this time to take him down) farming his armour. Got his nosebone which is rare apparently and you can only get it be breaking his neck? :confused:

Cant recommend the switch axe enough, if yer looking for something thats hard hitting and fast, its a nice balance :)

Aye i just killed Anjanath for the 2nd time (i done about 1/4 of the damage to him this time to take him down) farming his armour. Got his nosebone which is rare apparently and you can only get it be breaking his neck? :confused:

Cant recommend the switch axe enough, if yer looking for something thats hard hitting and fast, its a nice balance

Yup, many parts are only gotten from breaking specific parts. Horns/wings/etc. As above, the website I posted (Kiranico) shows all parts and how they're gotten. If you're ever stuck, just look it up.

Yeah that Switch Axe was introduced on MH Tri on the Wii (also introduced the rather controversial aspect of underwater hunting... it was quite a pain). Before that I was a complete noob at the game, was only then that I actually got good at it.

WTF is this leaving locale ****? I was beating the living **** out of another Anjanath and had him right next to his lair, then he decides to run the other way. I chase after he and he just vanished and i get a message saying he left the locale??? WTF is this ****? i spend 15mins beating him to a pulp and what? he just decides to log out for the night? wtf? lol why? Sake capcom!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is this worth getting? I have Nioh left to play on my Ps4 but this looks like a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I don't need it...
    I don't need it...

dxQZXYF.gif

I want to be at home playin this.

God damn work

Ugh it just happened again, trust me to read up on it after it happening twice. Dont hunt monsters in expedition, they just bugger off on ya leaving ya a potion bill and a big FU as they limp off into the sunset.

Hunt during quests only :pac:

I just bought another switch axe to upgrade up another tree, i have one thats a bone smasher I, 490 attack, 0% affinity, element none, power phial. and then the other i just made is the Flammenbeil: 455 attack, -20% affinity, element fire 180 and power element phial.

Can some hunt master explain what the affinity does? and does the flammenbeils total damage = 635 attack? provided they're not resistant to fire? Also wtf are the phials?

Ugh it just happened again, trust me to read up on it after it happening twice. Dont hunt monsters in expedition, they just bugger off on ya leaving ya a potion bill and a big FU as they limp off into the sunset.

Hunt during quests only :pac:

I just bought another switch axe to upgrade up another tree, i have one thats a bone smasher I, 490 attack, 0% affinity, element none, power phial. and then the other i just made is the Flammenbeil: 455 attack, -20% affinity, element fire 180 and power element phial.

Can some hunt master explain what the affinity does? and does the flammenbeils total damage = 635 attack? provided they're not resistant to fire? Also wtf are the phials?

Affinity is like crit chance. One of my rifles has a 10% Affinity and when i shoot with a pierce round some of the hits on the way through will crit for extra damage. But i think i does something else more than crits, because the Anja rifle has -20% Affinity which doesn't make sense, right?

I've read abit on the forums and it seems raw damage is always better than elemental. I assume its because some monsters have resist to certain elements but raw damage doesn't reduced by anything? But then you have a case of certain monsters being weak to an element which in that case i assume it would be better than simply raw.

Aren't phials related to the Charge Blade? Not to sure on that one

Also you know you can refund materials on weapons? So you don't have to make one of each upgrade type, you can just refund and re-upgrade down a different path. More hassle that way i suppose, or unless you'r the kind of player that likes to build abit of a collection

• Advertisement

Any boards guild for this on ps4 ?

Advertisement