Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do Very Good Looking people have it easier in life

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Nah, nail them while they're vulnerable, that's my motto.

...and they say romance is dead, eh? :P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I'm in the same position as yourself, I even get approached by women in public.

Sometimes it's flattering other times it's annoying.
    Women of 45 plus are very confident in themselves,they will initiate a chat or a nod with a smile.
    I prefer mature women they're more classy I wouldn't date a woman under 40 I'm 41.
    I also don't go for looks in a partner, I prefer someone who's intelligent, funny and physically fit looking.

I don't go for pretty type's,more plain maybe that school teacher or librarian look.

It's handy in shops and restaurants,I find it's easy to get attention, women like guy's love a bit of flirting...

I'm reserved like yourself and can be picky.

There's also time's when I wonder what it's like to be unattractive,would I have settled down younger and be married now,have the old Michelin tyre instead of the swimmer physical look.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Joaquin223

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

They tend to have boring personalities though as they have never had to develop one, relying soley on looks to land a partner, a good job and they often flirt their way through life. Yeah good looking but dull and boring to boot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,071 ✭✭✭Mech1

I work in the service industry in a very affluent Dublin area, its amazing how the really nice + good looking girls turn into real bitches when their looks don't help them skip the q.
    They don't like walking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

It can definitely be an advantage while it lasts, but being good looking doesn't guarantee a happy life. Marilyn Monroe and Sharon Tate are examples. Both were insanely beautiful women but struggled to be seen as anything more than a pretty face. Both were insecure, craved approval from others, didn't really know how to stand up for themselves in personal relationships and died tragically. Marilyn's death was more directly connected to her personal issues. Sharon's was just ... horrific, really.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes and no. Good looks can work to your advantage in certain jobs/professions but not others. My late cousin was a stunning looking woman but as a writer she opined that she wasn't taken seriously enough by the (nearly all men) people who could have advanced her career. She said they really just wanted to bed her.

I think average looks with great ability trumps good looks with average/poor ability. I've heard that interviewers are more likely to choose a good looking job candidate over a less attractive one but that keeping that job is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Apparently they do have it easier at work. Studies consistently reveal that they are the beneficiaries of bias more often than their ordinary looking workmates and more likely to do well in interviews than similarly qualified, less genetically gifted in the looks dept interviewees.

Depressing, huh?

I would say charming people would have it much easier over just good looks. Charm is more personality then looks.

• JupiterKid wrote: »
    Yes and no. Good looks can work to your advantage in certain jobs/professions but not others. My late cousin was a stunning looking woman but as a writer she opined that she wasn't taken seriously enough by the (nearly all men) people who could have advanced her career. She said they really just wanted to bed her.

I think average looks with great ability trumps good looks with average/poor ability. I've heard that interviewers are more likely to choose a good looking job candidate over a less attractive one but that keeping that job is another matter.

Ah here leave the Donald out of this.........:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Having said that; anyone who has lifted weights/lost a lot of weight after being noticeably fat/done both of these things in a quickish space of time can relate to this; even though people in your social circle might snipe at you for crab in a bucket reasons, people who don't know you will act nicer towards you.

Considering how little people put into it these days, someone whose not the best looking can launch themselves into the above average+ range imo. Just keep at it and the results will come. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Having said that; anyone who has lifted weights/lost a lot of weight after being noticeably fat/done both of these things in a quickish space of time can relate to this; even though people in your social circle might snipe at you for crab in a bucket reasons, people who don't know you will act nicer towards you.

Considering how little people put into it these days, someone whose not the best looking can launch themselves into the above average+ range imo. Just keep at it and the results will come. :D

No they cant, getting fit doesn't mean youll be above average looking especially not men

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

wakka12 wrote: »
    No they cant, getting fit doesn't mean youll be above average looking especially not men

Definitely agree. I've seen lads with bodies like an Olympian, but they still have that mutton head on them. Some of them get huge bodies, and they still have this tiny little jawless, featureless face. No amount of weights can fix that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Three pages in and I must commend the posters for giving nice, short answers. Even the longer posts are well paragraphed and easy to read.

How many threads are filled with mindless walls of text after each multiquote within a single post? Nobody has time to read that sh1t. Just state your point and move on.

I'm in the same position as yourself, I even get approached by women in public.

Sometimes it's flattering other times it's annoying.
    Women of 45 plus are very confident in themselves,they will initiate a chat or a nod with a smile.
    I prefer mature women they're more classy I wouldn't date a woman under 40 I'm 41.
    I also don't go for looks in a partner, I prefer someone who's intelligent, funny and physically fit looking.

I don't go for pretty type's,more plain maybe that school teacher or librarian look.

It's handy in shops and restaurants,I find it's easy to get attention, women like guy's love a bit of flirting...

I'm reserved like yourself and can be picky.

There's also time's when I wonder what it's like to be unattractive,would I have settled down younger and be married now,have the old Michelin tyre instead of the swimmer physical look.

Yeah, I'm not picky over looks either. I've been with beautiful looking women, I've been with women who were far from models. But if you're sound and can make me laugh, I'll definitely be up for a snog.

People who insist on only dating "hot" people tend to have issues, I find. I see them as weak people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

In almost every sense good looking people have it both ways. If they're just really nice people they get jealousy and a lot of bitter **** thrown their way. If they're arseholes they tend to ignore it and somehow get everything they want by somehow effortlessly demanding it. Arseholes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

I know a few really good looking girls who don't think they are good looking... of course they lap up the attention they recieve from guys, but when it comes to the crunch there is so much self doubt that it becomes an all-consuming life-debilitating thing.

Their entire life is based around potential partners who may or may not be interested in them. Career and everything else becomes secondary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I know a few really good looking girls who don't think they are good looking... of course they lap up the attention they recieve from guys, but when it comes to the crunch there is so much self doubt that it becomes an all-consuming life-debilitating thing.

Their entire life is based around potential partners who may or may not be interested in them. Career and everything else becomes secondary.

That's an in a nutshell whats wrong with the way everything is wrong sorta post.

It's girls fault for being pretty and not knowing what they want and how dare they want and they only care about money yards yadda

Sort that out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Saipanne wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm not picky over looks either. I've been with beautiful looking women, I've been with women who were far from models. But if you're sound and can make me laugh, I'll definitely be up for a snog.

People who insist on only dating "hot" people tend to have issues, I find. I see them as weak people.

How many chicks you defiled, more than 100?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Alpha_zero

Girls with low self esteem are the way to go.

Alpha_zero wrote: »
    How many chicks you defiled, more than 100?

Ah no, around 70 I'd say. I'm not really sure what the number is. I haven't been keeping count.

I'm not big into ONS anymore, so most of that number was reached in my 20s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

It would have its advantages in particular parts of your life, finding a partner being the main one, possibly job interviews etc. But being intelligent would also have its advantages in parts of life, or being super confident/totally self assured would have huge advantages.

In fact I would say being naturally exteremely confident/self assured would probably be the most advantageous trait to have, even over good looks. With that, not only would you probably have little issues finding a partner (in spite of average looks), but you'd probably get further career wise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

It's definitely an advantage, being good looking gives extra opportunities it depends what u do with those chances but it's there.
    I can see how being a good looking woman has downsides (withasdive upsides though)but if your a very handsome lad is there any negatives?All of the negative reaction I ever see to good looking guys is when they are overly well groomed/peacocking/flexing gym goers rather than at ease in themselves people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

It's definitely an advantage, being good looking gives extra opportunities it depends what u do with those chances but it's there.
    I can see how being a good looking woman has downsides (withasdive upsides though)but if your a very handsome lad is there any negatives?All of the negative reaction I ever see to good looking guys is when they are overly well groomed/peacocking/flexing gym goers rather than at ease in themselves people

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I happen to know the most beautiful girl in the world.
    Hey, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

wil wrote: »
    Hey, do you?

Please don't! It's a setup.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

There's no question about it as far as I'm concerned. Being good looking is the ultimate privilege. Beautiful people won't realise it but virtually every interaction they have with another person is affected by their looks, overwhelmingly in a positive way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 roysh1

Very good looking people have the monopoly when it comes to dating. I've a friend who is very good looking and women approach him all the time, on the street in the middle of the day etc. I'm sure it feels pretty good to have gorgeous women trying to chat you up all the time. I doubt he'll ever have to worry about the possibility of ending up alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I'm not sure about having an easy life.

But I will say one thing we're not well liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

roysh1 wrote: »
    Very good looking people have the monopoly when it comes to dating. I've a friend who is very good looking and women approach him all the time, on the street in the middle of the day etc. I'm sure it feels pretty good to have gorgeous women trying to chat you up all the time. I doubt he'll ever have to worry about the possibility of ending up alone.

Not many people have to worry about that regardless of how they look really, you probably know as many ugly people in relationships as you do good looking couples. And when you go into town youll see hundreds of couples and theres as many ugly couples as hot couples there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭JellieBabie

They tend to have boring personalities though as they have never had to develop one, relying soley on looks to land a partner, a good job and they often flirt their way through life. Yeah good looking but dull and boring to boot.

That is just not true, it's a total stereotype.

Advertisement