Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sad Stuff

Options
  • 04-09-2016 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭

I love The Walking Dead and cant wait for the next season but it really is a depressing show. Why do we enjoy watching sad and tragic movies, tv or listening to sad music?

Is it because we empathise or sympathise with the characters? We hope that things turn out alright in the end? We like to see things that are worse than our own situations? Or just because we see a reality in the characters and can reflect or relate to that?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Sure ya can't bate a good cry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

We enjoy others suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Olishi4

Duff wrote: »
    Sure ya can't bate a good cry.

Ye, I suppose you feel a bit of a release. I dont cry watching The Walking Dead, well..maybe when (edit; someone) died :( So technically, sometimes we enjoy being sad or well I mean, we need to be sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Olishi4 wrote: »
    Ye, I suppose you feel a bit of a release. I dont cry watching The Walking Dead, well..maybe when :( So technically, sometimes we enjoy being sad or well I mean, we need to be sometimes.

Fcuking spoliers Olishi!

• Advertisement

Fcuking spoliers Olishi!

Oops! Did the spoiler make you sad though? See..I was doing you a favour :p ah no sorry! :/ I'll edit it!

The Walking Dead isn't a realistic enough scenario to make me cry, but I get upset over well-acted, plausible stuff at times.

I usually don't watch anything too downbeat for that reason, I just don't have the stomach for emotionally challenging themes these days. I can't listen to sad songs most of the time, I react too intensely and they can dampen my mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think its because sad dramatic things are interesting to watch and hear about, like we are interested in tragedies in the news, but with tv I think people especially like tragedies and crimes because its people's suffering but we can watch it without guilt of finding it interesting cause we know that nobody is actually suffering

Ted111 wrote: »

I've only just noticed, he was playing Lemmy in that clip :)

Ye, I suppose you feel a bit of a release. I dont cry watching The Walking Dead, well..maybe when (edit; someone) died :( So technically, sometimes we enjoy being sad or well I mean, we need to be sometimes.

Ah its ok.

Im always sad anyway :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

Candie wrote: »
    The Walking Dead isn't a realistic enough scenario to make me cry, but I get upset over well-acted, plausible stuff at times.

What do you mean not realistic enough? I thought the walking dead was supposed to be based on a true story.

Ah its ok.

Im always sad anyway :(

:(

You better edit your one now or else you'll be the spoiler!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Turn them on, turn them on
    Turn on those sad songs
    When all hope is gone
    Why don't you tune in and turn them on

If someone else is suffering enough to write it down
    When every single word makes sense
    Then it's easier to have those songs around
    The kick inside is in the line that finally gets to you
    And it feels so good to hurt so bad
    And suffer just enough to sing the blues

So turn them on
    Turn on those sad songs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Nothing makes me cry more than Arnie being lowered into the molten metal in Terminator 2 while giving the thumbs up. :(

Duff wrote: »
    Nothing makes me cry more than Arnie being lowered into the molten metal in Terminator 2 while giving the thumbs up. :(

I know, me too? And he's a robot ffs?? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I think one of the best selling singles in Ireland was "only a woman" by Mary Black and someone else - 'tis a bittersweet song. Titanic, and the Dion song that went with it, wouldn't have been as successful if Jack lived...what does that tell you?

I like TWD to see people and zombies get killed, not because it makes me sad. It makes me wonder why violent shows are the most popular but we supposedly reject violence. Kinda hypocritical.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I think one of the best selling singles in Ireland was "only a woman" by Mary Black and someone else - 'tis a bittersweet song. Titanic, and the Dion song that went with it, wouldn't have been as successful if Jack lived...what does that tell you?

I like TWD to see people and zombies get killed, not because it makes me sad. It makes me wonder why violent shows are the most popular but we supposedly reject violence. Kinda hypocritical.

Not really.nobody is getting hurt in the shows.. Why would it mean we should condone violence towards real people just cause we like to see it on tv with actors doing it

wakka12 wrote: »
    Not really.nobody is getting hurt in the shows.. Why would it mean we should condone violence towards real people just cause we like to see it on tv with actors doing it

But the violence obviously appeals to something within people and makes it more interesting but when similar things happen in reality, they are horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

'Where's Wallace String?'

Don't get me started on Dookie.

I know, me too? And he's a robot ffs?? :)

FFS! He's not a robot..."I AM A CYBERNETIC ORGANISM, LIVING TISSUE OVER A METAL ENDOSKELETON".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,496 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Hold the door

*sobs*

Fry's dog.

"If it takes forever...."

FFS! He's not a robot..."I AM A CYBERNETIC ORGANISM, LIVING TISSUE OVER A METAL ENDOSKELETON".

He may as well be human then! Makes me feel better about being emotionally invested in the character but also a bit worried :/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

"I cherish the memories of a question my grandson asked me the other day, when he said "Grandpa, were you a hero in the war?" Grandpa said, "No... but I served in a company of heroes".

Sob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

Its complete pish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Not a fan and Andrew Lincoln will always be Egg to me you bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

Fcuking spoliers Olishi!

Yeah but you quoted it and made it worse, drawing attention to it. Then he went back and changed his post to remove said spoiler, but you quoted his original post so the spoiler remains In your post quoting his...

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Yeah but you quoted it and made it worse, drawing attention to it. Then he went back and changed his post to remove said spoiler, but you quoted his original post so the spoiler remains In your post quoting his...

Damn it Rob!

Why didnt you tell me earlier?! Ya bollox its all yout fault. :)

Robsweezie wrote: »

Hers! See you get things wrong too Rob :)

• Advertisement

Hers! See you get things wrong too Rob :)

You tell him Olishi!

Advertisement