Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian Dennehy-the greatest actor of our time?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,616 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

The range of emotion this man could convey just by simply raising an eyebrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

yabadabado wrote: »
    Shame on you.

You forgot F/X2 :The Deadly Art of Illusion.

Didn't forget it, it came under the F/X blanket ...........

ZeroThreat wrote: »
    Gladiator? I'm pretty sure the character your're thinking of was played by the late Oliver Reid.
    Tigger wrote: »

Thanks Tigger! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Archeron

I always thought he had the look of a man who would smell like an old wet rug. I've never smelled him of course , he just gave me that impression.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

More of a supporting actor than anything. I saw him in First Blood recently but the eighties and early ninety's were his best roles.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

Never heard off him tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Never heard off him tbh

Download Cocoon and watch it this afternoon. Bonus points if it's raining outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,430 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Reads thread title -> Checks news and movie sites to see if he passed during the night -> Comes back relieved -> Goes on existing regardless of Brian Dennehy being alive or dead.

FWIW.....he was a popular mainstay in many an 80s/early 90s film and always has a presence on screen. Think the last thing I saw him in was an episode of The Blacklist a while back. Looking old.....as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

He was a frequent visitor to Mallow a good friend of his bought Mallow castle in the late 80's and lived tere until he died.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭Heckler

Great character actor. He never pretended to be otherwise. If I see a movie with a crap review but then see Dennehys in it I'll probably give it a go. Really like him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Sam Kade wrote: »
    He was a frequent visitor to Mallow a good friend of his bought Mallow castle in the late 80's and lived tere until he died.

That sounds like the plot to one of his films

• Registered Users Posts: 16,511 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

MadDog76 wrote: »
    Didn't forget it, it came under the F/X blanket ...........

It deserved it's full title:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

He was in 'Public Morals' recently, a fantastic TV show about corrupt cops in NY the 50's that was cancelled....I was gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Whoa there! I had to look this up.

Glad to report that Brian is still with us. 78 years young.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Mr. FoggPatches

What a legend!
    Always struck me as the kind of guy that would bang Stephanie Powers in the morning then head out to watch the little league team he coached in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

I always thought he looked like Ted Kennedys illegitimate half brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I remember we got our granny a microwave for Christmas one year and she spent the whole afternoon watching it thinking it was a Brian Dennehy movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

I remember we got our granny a microwave for Christmas one year and she spent the whole afternoon watching it thinking it was a Brian Dennehy movie.

She was obviously a Tennents fan I'm guessing...did she settle in and watch a second film when ye took it out of the box?

Sam was referring to Brian's friend, not Brian himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There was an accidental clause put in legislation that he was required to play every state senator and irish priest role in made for tv movies

• Advertisement

Bambi wrote: »
    There was an accidental clause put in legislation that he was required to play every state senator and irish priest role in made for tv movies

He was Senator Riegle in Thanks To A Grateful Nation and Senator Rafe Framingham in an episode of The West Wing as well as Father Dominic Spagnolia (an Italian priest) in Our Fathers but I think that's it?

Wouldn't he have been a great Hannibal Lector? In saying that I love Antony Hopkins as well...maybe twin Lectors?ðŸ˜

Colser wrote: »
    Wouldn't he have been a great Hannibal Lector? In saying that I love Antony Hopkins as well...maybe twin Lectors?ðŸ˜

He was actually considered for the Hannibal Lecter role in Michael Mann's Manhunter ..........

He was actually considered for the Hannibal Lecter role in Michael Mann's Manhunter ..........

Really..I didn't know that,that was an excellent film imo,must watch it again. I was just imagining him with the mask on in SOTL..I play Clarice in my version😛

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

Colser wrote: »
    Really..I didn't know that,that was an excellent film imo,must watch it again. I was just imagining him with the mask on in SOTL..I play Clarice in my version😛

Can't believe you haven't posted in the 'Someone unusual you fancy' thread :pac:

maudgonner wrote: »
    Can't believe you haven't posted in the 'Someone unusual you fancy' thread :pac:

I know but I thought no one would know him..the shame.Anyway I got slated for Idris Elba so I'm still traumatised about that.ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

His friend that bought the castle died not Dennehy, try reading it again slowly ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

His friend that bought the castle died not Dennehy, try reading it again slowly ;)

Aye. Reading it again makes it clear alright.

My bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

He was Senator Riegle in Thanks To A Grateful Nation and Senator Rafe Framingham in an episode of The West Wing as well as Father Dominic Spagnolia (an Italian priest) in Our Fathers but I think that's it?

Don't forget he played senator buzzkill in the hit film "I look stuff up on IMDB"

He also played father dry ****e in the less well known "What a sap"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 475 ✭✭jimmy blevins

He's the USA's answer to Otm Shank.

Advertisement