Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

EoinHef wrote: »
    Aye i get that,what i mean is they would also need to upgrade their OS for Kaby Lake too so Ryzen not having windows 7 drivers wont be a hinderance against kaby lake anyway.

What does the Kabylake/i7 combo boost tho?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Venom wrote: »
    What does the Kabylake/i7 combo boost tho?

Not sure what ye mean there?

If a company decides to upgrade now,kaby lake and ryzen both dont support windows 7. Just meant in that sense neither has an advantage there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If a company decides to upgrade now,kaby lake and ryzen both dont support windows 7. Just meant in that sense neither has an advantage there.

They work on Windows 7, its just that they won't supply a specific driver or try get specific newer low level chip features working on the OS in future or try fix and weird bugs that come up(which is unlikely). This is normal, Microsoft are dropping all support for Win7 next year. They don't support XP either, or NT, or Win95 but you can still install them and they will probably work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

...Microsoft are dropping all support for Win7 next year. ...

They extended it to 2020 no?

They extended it to 2020 no?

I would guess thats paid support from Enterprise if its the case.

• Advertisement

My bad, I ment the CPU has extra instructions if you pair an i7 kabylake with Windows 10 but it rather vague on what they actually do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Wonder will they all come with coolers.

AMD would never put out a render like that, even internally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

i wonder how the single core performance of the 1800x will stack up to say the i7 7700k, thats what has me interested, if its at skylake ipc with 8 cores 16 threads id be very interested. That and the am4 socket will be around for 3-4years

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

For anyone who doesn't want to read Forbes stupid quote.

https://videocardz.com/65825/first-amd-ryzen-7-1700x-benchmarks-are-here

Single thread performance is a little behind Intel but the pricing is so much lower it makes Ryzen a much better idea if it holds up down to the weaker CPUs.

X versions don't come with a fan apparently, surprised to hear that but I probably shouldn't be

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Single thread performance is a little behind Intel but the pricing is so much lower it makes Ryzen a much better idea if it holds up down to the weaker CPUs.

X versions don't come with a fan apparently, surprised to hear that but I probably shouldn't be

Sure most who would be getting them will want their own I know if I do upgrade I will get a X model and I will get my own cooler.

But then on the other hand my PC is perfectly fine so I am still on the fence if I will upgrade or not.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The X version is the one that can be overclocked so I'd say any one buying that would be after a better cooler anyway.

The X version is the one that can be overclocked so I'd say any one buying that would be after a better cooler anyway.

They can all be overclocked with an unlocked multiplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Ah you've some people who just want the higher clocks and aren't arsed with the whole third party cooler or overclocking lark, we get a bit of that in B&U regards like the 6700 or 6700k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Ah you've some people who just want the higher clocks and aren't arsed with the whole third party cooler or overclocking lark, we get a bit of that in B&U regards like the 6700 or 6700k

The X variants have XFR (eXtended Frequency Range) enabled so can automatically over clock beyond the boost clock if the cooling solution is good enough. In that respect they could be considered enthusiast parts, so it would be reasonable to expect 3rd party cooling in that case.

dazberry wrote: »
    The X variants have XFR (eXtended Frequency Range) enabled so can automatically over clock beyond the boost clock if the cooling solution is good enough. In that respect they could be considered enthusiast parts, so it would be reasonable to expect 3rd party cooling in that case.

I am interested in the reviews, as in theory it could mean that single threaded tasks can ramp up cores to a extreme that you might not normally get with a all round overclock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if thats legit and the pricing leaks are right intel is in for a rough time

One pricing I didn't see was Euro. The leaks have always been US dollar or some asian price.
    It would be nice to know the Euro price.

take the dollar price and go about 1:1 is what I'd be thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

One pricing I didn't see was Euro. The leaks have always been US dollar or some asian price.
    It would be nice to know the Euro price.

A Belgian retailer leaked the prices a couple of days ago - recorded here

D.

dazberry wrote: »
    A Belgian retailer leaked the prices a couple of days ago - recorded here

D.

Damn the chip I had my eye on is a lot more expensive in Euro.

Yeah from all the price leaks I had looked at was expecting the 1800x to be around 500 euro

Damn the chip I had my eye on is a lot more expensive in Euro.

We always get screwed on the price of tech :(

Venom wrote: »
    We always get screwed on the price of tech :(

Intels lowest 8 core is a grand and its lowest 6 core is 440, even if Ryzen is 20% less IPC thats still a really good deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Im wondering how much use all these cores are going to be for games,even ones coming out over the next year or so. Its only performance in that department that interests me,when you see i3's performing exactly the same as i7's im thinking that bar the odd outlier that most games will perform similarly on a ryzen quad core as they will on a ryzen octo core.

Advertisement