Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Could you go to war if needed

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Do you think friendships we can form in regular life are as close as ones soldiers form with their squads when they spend every moment of the day together for months on end and protect and fight for one another's lives?

Is that really the point you were making? I assumed you were just into shaving in the trench and rough housing with your bros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Yes if I am in the carrier pigeon regiment. That way I got dodge the whole fighting scene and I could develop an interest in pigeons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

anncoates wrote: »
    Is that really the point you were nuking? I assumed you were just into shaving in the trench and rough housing with your bros.

Yeah, all soldiers do during war is hangout and chill in their trenches and have a laugh passing the time shaving with their "bros". It's a holiday really.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Vomit

I've always felt that life is kind of pointless, so I'd gladly die while fighting to protect the precious world of iphones, X-factor and celebrity jungle that others seem to derive so much pleasure and meaning from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

anncoates wrote: »
    Is that really the point you were nuking? I assumed you were just into shaving in the trench and rough housing with your bros.

I think the best answer I ever heard when a soldier who was heading off to Iraq was asked why he was going. His answer was simplicity itself - "I'm going because he's going."

Basically, it's all nonsense the rubbish you hear about defending the homeland, preserving peace, freedom and democracy, standing up to tyrants etc. Soldiers fight for the guy or girl next to them - Armies have known that for millennia that's why training is, at its essence, unchanged since the Marian reforms from era of the Roman Republic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement