Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

A life hack that works!

Options
  • 21-11-2014 8:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭

I've had an issue with my satellite receiver. The remote didn't work at all and instead of looking for an advice online I went out and paid €5 for 4 AA batteries that I will never use:mad:

I came across a forum where a member advised me to put the batteries wrong way (-/+ +/- - you know what I mean) for a while and put them back in order after that. It didn't make sense at all, but I did it and it worked.

According to the poster this was a "remote reset" and, believe it or not, it worked.

There are things in this world that I will never, ever understand.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Your new iphone can be charged in the microwave.

Instead of chocolate I just eat Special K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

If your batteries are too small for the remote etc. Pack tinfoil into the gaps between the contacts and the battery itself and they'll work, trust me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Put a lemon in to the microwave for 10seconds, make it easier to pour over fish n stuff.

Wooden spoon over a boiling pot will stop it spilling over.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

If your batteries are too small for the remote etc. Pack tinfoil into the gaps between the contacts and the battery itself and they'll work, trust me.

If I knew this one before I wouldn't have to spend a fiver on the new batteries:D

I have checked the remote using my phone camera but all you can see is the ir light coming through - I knew the remote is working but you never know if it is working as it should and if the receiver itself works.

It worked and I have no explanation. Any of you, AH's, have an explanation ready?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'd be wary taking advice from AH. You think you're getting a life hack but what you're really doing is burning your house down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Yes. You basically turned it off and turned it on again...sure that always works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

If you tie your shoe laces together you only need to tie once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

A good cure for depression is to retune your radio from RTE Radio One to a different station between 13.45 and 3.00.

NB - only works on weekdays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

My 86 year old great uncle emailed this list of 101 household tips,and some of them are genius.

http://www.glamumous.co.uk/2013/03/101-household-tips-for-every-room-in.html?m=1#sthash.sfDGzdNK.gbpl

I kid you not. He's a genuine silver surfer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Hold your car's central locking remote beside your jaw whilst opening your mouth really wide to extend its range by at least three times. Really works.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Wet a bit of kitchen paper and wrap it around your bottle of beer/wine/whatever and put it into the freezer - ice cold in 5 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

If a car breaks down or stalls in front of you, beep your horn and wave your arms frantically. This should help the car start and send them on their way.

Can't say I'd ever suggest to someone to connect batteries backwards. Has the potential to do damage.
    A good cure for depression is to retune your radio from RTE Radio One to a different station between 13.45 and 3.00.

NB - only works on weekdays.
    Don't forget between 07:00 and 09:00 too. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

You can jump start you car by connecting the jump leads to your nipples!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 soundcrowd

A jug of boiling water poured down your throat will help if you're choking on ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭silverwood

Don't waste your money on binoculars. Just stand closer to what you want to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

People who talk about "Life Hacks" are incorrigible ****. You were lucky reversing the polarity of the batteries didn't destroy the equipment, what you actually did there was a hard restart. And trust me on the sunscreen. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Holding down the lock button on your car key will let up the windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

If there is no salt on your table in a restaurant simply stick your tongue out and pretend to shake some salt on to it, you'll be able to taste it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

No mouse trap or poison..?
    Simple...

Put down fine white pepper...

When the rodent sniffs it they will sneeze and bash their head off the ground. Knocks em out stone cold so just pick em and put em in through your neighbour's letter box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

If only there was a life hack for the fatcats running this country into the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

silverwood wrote: »
    Don't waste your money on binoculars. Just stand closer to what you want to see.

Doesn't work on cows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

If there is no salt on your table in a restaurant simply stick your tongue out and pretend to shake some salt on to it, you'll be able to taste it.

I did that to my mam years ago, and my husband just now.

If there's two people you never want to see do that :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Holding Alt + F4 brings up a faster way to organise through the tabs you have currently open.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Fate Amenable To Change

Hold your car's central locking remote beside your jaw whilst opening your mouth really wide to extend its range by at least three times. Really works.

If you hold a remote-key pressed against your head it should extend the range, nothing to do with your jaw as far as I know though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If you stick your thumbs up your bum, you won't need gloves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

If Barry has 6 oranges and 4 apples and I eat one of each, I won't be hungry any longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

Timmyctc wrote: »
    If only there was a life hack for the fatcats running this country into the ground

No matter what the thread topic, some whiner will pop up talking about politics or the economy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Timmyctc wrote: »

If only there was a lifehack to rid the country of tedious dullards who attempt to steer every topic to their misinformed political rants.

Now f*ck off away back to thejournal where such nonsense is not only tolerated, but actively encouraged.

Advertisement