Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BATTLEFRONT (by DICE)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Now in fairness there are tons of good Star Wars games.

Battlefront
    Battlefront 2
    Dark Forces
    Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight
    Jedi Knight 2
    X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter
    Rogue Squadron
    Republic Commando
    Knights of the Old Republic
    Knights of the Old Republic 2
    Empire at War
    The Force Unleashed
    The Force Unleashed 2

Now those are just the really good ones that were critically/commerically well received. There are plenty other 'decent' ones that just weren't great, but all of the above were very good Star Wars games.

Jedi Knight 2 & X-Wing Alliance... probably my favourite two games of the last decade!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

yup buying it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭Wossack

presume its going the titanfall route of AI canon fodder - as no way that was just 20v20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Loving that trailer. 100% buying it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Is it me or does everything look really slow moving in that trailer? Not that im against it but just looks very slow

• Advertisement

EoinHef wrote: »
    Is it me or does everything look really slow moving in that trailer? Not that im against it but just looks very slow

That trailer is "acted out". It's not a proper gameplay trailer imo.

As in, if you stick full teams of randomers against each other, the gameplay will be very different.
    Also it's console. Turning always seems slow on consoles compared to the quick whip of a mouse turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭neasyerac

This looks amazing. The sound effects are going to be spectacular, Specially that grenade with the whomp kinda sound.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Looks pretty and all , wonder how **** the netcode wil be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Dcully wrote: »
    Looks pretty and all , wonder how **** the netcode wil be.

Haven't played hardline but 4 has been impeoved a lot.

Also they'll have Disney looking over their shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

Hardline had a perfect launch on all platforms bar one Xbox One DDoS attack for lolz etc.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/3/18/8242477/battlefield-hardline-down-xbox-one-ddos-multiplayer

I'm personally most excited for split screen co-op missions if only to share the experience with my brother. It looks so authentically Star Wars and looks like it plays just as a Battlefield game.

• Advertisement

Star Wars™ Battlefront™

Join the Closed Alpha – Only on Origin for PC

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,121 ✭✭✭game4it70

^^^^
    link to apply

:pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,053 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Alpha preload is open.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Played a bit of it last night and I have to say Im quite impressed.. the sound.. dear god the sound is amazing..

Fun gameplay, amazing visuals of course, nice set of gadgets and battle pickups..

Long ttk tho. and couldnt fly ANYTHING to save my life..

Not a Battlefield beater by any stretch but then its a totally different type of fps.

The Red wrote: »
    Played a bit of it last night and I have to say Im quite impressed.. the sound.. dear god the sound is amazing..

Fun gameplay, amazing visuals of course, nice set of gadgets and battle pickups..

Long ttk tho. and couldnt fly ANYTHING to save my life..

Not a Battlefield beater by any stretch but then its a totally different type of fps.

I keep crashing at the start most of the time :mad:
    I managed to play for about 5 mins in windowed mode but my old lamps make it to hard to see on such a small window. :P
    It was fun albeit brief though.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭The Red

Hmmm, I havent crashed once... I see on the forums there is a lot of crashing issues.

The Red wrote: »
    Hmmm, I havent crashed once... I see on the forums there is a lot of crashing issues.
    Just luck of the draw i think,hopefully there will be a fix before the alpha is finished.

Its quite good, dont like the speed to the recharge you can get someone to 1 health and hes back to 100 fairly quickly.

Only issue really is add more damage to the weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Was curious if they would release a premium version for this but according to their community update yesterday they won't.
    Standard and Deluxe only. Not even a collectors edition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Noxin wrote: »
    Was curious if they would release a premium version for this but according to their community update yesterday they won't.
    Standard and Deluxe only. Not even a collectors edition.

Seems odd, could add an extra 100 to price and just have an early realese of some episode 7 toy in it.

Skerries wrote: »

For a second I thought it was a weird glitch where an online player rag dolled.

Not an out and out Star Wars fan in the normal sense(watched the films a few times but not counting the days to 7 or the like) but my god I'm hyped for this game.... More than FIFA and football games were always my thing.

I guess that's as much to do with Dice than Star Wars.... Have pumped over 700 hours into BF4 and that's as a lone wolf.
    If this can replicate all that's good about BF4 and add some more, this should be my game of the year.. Even above Fallout, and id class 3 as my favourite game of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

It was on my wish list, but now it is a "maybe". With all those silly changes they did to BF4, I do not trust them anymore.
    They have no clue how the game is going to be, and they constantly make changes according to random input from players.
    If SWBW is like that, I might as well go play CoD...

Only one way to find out. For now that's beta. I've not pre-ordered anything yet so next month will decide for me :)

Need something new. BF4 is dying for me. BLOPs3 beta didn't do it for me. Dirty bomb is ok but I tend to only play a few games and log off again.
    Still play planetside 2 a bit though.

Want something shiny :P

http://www.pcgamer.com/ea-details-star-war-battlefronts-drop-zone-mode/
    Drop Zone is similar to a King of the Hill mode, in which teams do battle to capture a control point and then defend it from their enemies.
    But the control points in Drop Zone are pods that fall from the sky, and the trick is that teams won't know where they'll be until they land.
    EA said the mode "is all about action and quick thinking":
    Pods must be defended, but teams who stick to them too tightly risk getting hammered by an Orbital Strike.

Victory will go to whichever team captures five pods, or controls the most when the ten-minute time limit is up.
    The process of claiming them is brief, but if neither team is able to hold one long enough to get the job done, another pod will drop, giving them something else to fight over (and presumably breaking the stalemate).
    Once captured, pods will open up to provide "Power Pickups" to the team that claimed them, but again, there's an element of risk: While you're waiting around for one to open, other pods, possibly containing better stuff, will still be dropping.

Quite a lot of new gameplay videos surfacing tonight from some get together of youtubers in sweden with dice i believe.
    I must say it all looks very underwhelming, game looks to have serious lack of depth and looks far too arcadey for my liking.
    I enjoy me some cod every now and then so im not adverse to some arcade shooting, more than anything though im not liking the 3rd person view in a game such as this.
    Keen to play the beta before forming a proper opinion.

Exactly my thoughts.

Seriously can't make up my mind with what I've seen either. Some looks good, some looks awful.
    Bring on the beta so.

16GB recommended... It gets better and better...

https://www.origin.com/en-ie/store/buy/star-wars-battlefront/pc-download/base-game/standard-edition
    Minimum PC System Requirements
    Processor (Intel): Intel i3 6300T or equivalent
    Memory: 8GB RAM
    Hard Drive: At least 40 GB of free space
    Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB
    Graphics card (ATI): ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB
    DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent
    Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

Recommended PC System Requirements
    Processor (Intel): Intel i5 6600 or equivalent
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Hard Drive: At least 40 GB of free space
    Graphics card (NVIDIA): nVidia GeForce GTX 970 4GB
    Graphics card (AMD): AMD Radeon R9 290 4GB
    DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent
    Online Connection Requirements: 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection

• Advertisement

Plenty of live streams on twitch of early beta access.

http://www.twitch.tv/directory/game/Star%20Wars%20Battlefront

Advertisement