Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving tasks to the last minute

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Aineoil

I thought I was the only person who left things to the last minute. I love the solidarity of this thread.

You sit in front of the laptop with great ideas of doing some work and you end up playing Candycrush or the likes on facebook.

Mind you I have finished my review of work for last December tonight, through gritted teeth, and many failed attempts at getting through Candycrush in the meantime. Gritted teeth at Candycrush too....mad game!

My God, reading this thread makes me feel orgasmic that I've finished with thesis/homework deadlines.

Having said that, that type of sh*t just continues in work life - always something on the horizon to make me feel uneasy (but not uneasy enough that I get it done with time to spare :()

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭danslevent

My God, reading this thread makes me feel orgasmic that I've finished with thesis/homework deadlines.

Having said that, that type of sh*t just continues in work life - always something on the horizon to make me feel uneasy (but not uneasy enough that I get it done with time to spare :()

Oh I know! Every so often over Christmas my mind would wander over to the work I should be doing but instead I left it all up to future-me, which is currently preset-me....past-me is such a dick.

danslevent wrote: »
    Oh I know! Every so often over Christmas my mind would wander over to the work I should be doing but instead I left it all up to future-me, which is currently preset-me....past-me is such a dick.

I can smell a fellow Seinfeld fan a mile away :)

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Dupont

Just make the first and last page look good and copy the rest from anything. That's all they will look at. Sure why even bother, are you going into the type of work were you go into the office Monday morning and the boss says here write 13000 word essay on how great you are,????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

1500 words due on tuesday. Have I started? Have I f*ck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

MadYaker wrote: »
    1500 words due on tuesday. Have I started? Have I f*ck.

Pfft that is 2-3 hours work!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭chrissb8

Try doing a 4000 word essay and input 25 rows and 20 columns of numbers in SPSS. All done within a day and one horrible horrible night. Sense of achievement though was huge. Been pretty on the ball about assignments since then. Just get them done.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭sinead88

chrissb8 wrote: »
    Try doing a 4000 word easy and input 25 rows and 20 columns of numbers in SPSS. All done within a day and one horrible horrible night. Sense of achievement though was huge. Been pretty on the ball about assignments since then. Just get them done.

Fair play. SPSS is the devil!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I've an exam at 3.30 tomorrow. Planning to go to the library at 9am to start studying for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Right now, I'm supposed to have two Android apps made before 5:55AM. I'm f*cked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭JumpShivers

I've had 5 essays and a presentation due this week, only started each the night before.. So much coffee and lack of sleep. And I've known about them since the start of November.

My last essay is due tomorrow, and I'm on Boards.. Having not started yet. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

Thank fuk I didn't know about Boards when I was doing my finals, and Facebook was only in its infancy. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

I very sensibly didn't go to the pub last night because I had a load of work to do, so instead I stayed in, watched Sherlock and did hardly any work, then my friends came back from the pub with a load of beer and so I ended up pulling an all-nighter with one of them, getting langered and waiting for my other friend to get back from the airport at ten am (I think he was touched, he was definitely amused). Then I had a nap. I would've been better off going to the bloody pub.

So I've had 3 hours sleep since 11am Saturday, I still have 750 words and a bibliography to do, I know I have to be up at 8am, and yet here I am doing nothing. It's the darnedest thing.

Thank fuk I didn't know about Boards when I was doing my finals, and Facebook was only in its infancy. :eek:

You can tell when I've got work due because I'm all over this place like a rash!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Eutow

I very sensibly didn't go to the pub last night because I had a load of work to do, so instead I stayed in, watched Sherlock and did hardly any work, then my friends came back from the pub with a load of beer and so I ended up pulling an all-nighter with one of them, getting langered and waiting for my other friend to get back from the airport at ten am (I think he was touched, he was definitely amused). Then I had a nap. I would've been better off going to the bloody pub.

So I've had 3 hours sleep since 11am Saturday, I still have 750 words and a bibliography to do, I know I have to be up at 8am, and yet here I am doing nothing. It's the darnedest thing.

You can tell when I've got work due because I'm all over this place like a rash!

Type "Screw Flanders" 375 times and you're done.

Groening, Matt, "Guess Who's Coming to Criticize Dinner?", The Simpsons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭black_frosch

Due tomorrow? Do tomorrow. In my class we say nothing makes an engineer more productive than the last minute.
    That sounds good!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Just finished an assignment I was given 4 weeks ago that is due in 8 hours time. I'll never change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

I still have 300 words left, as well as bibliography. Never again am I leaving it this late.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Ugh, still 500 words left and the shagging bibliography. And now I've run out of tobacco. Kill me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

I tend to procrastinate and then go mad to catch up. Have missed probably 6 flights. I realize that adrenalin is a drug and I guess I'm an adrenalin junkie.
    But that is me.
    My wife often gets on to me about it but it's in one ear and out the other. She likes to be everywhere early but I make sure that she doesn't break protocol. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

On my odd day off work, the missus leaves me a list of housework longer than her face when I get home pissed on a Saturday night.
    I get up to help her get the kids and herself out the door, then spend most of the day in bed with some DVDs and a box of Kleenex pullin the stomach outta meself.
    Then around an hour before she gets home a mad, frantic dash around the house usually sorts out most of the housework, and if she smells a rat I just say 'oh yea I got called into work at 12'

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Ericaa wrote: »
    Right now, I'm supposed to have two Android apps made before 5:55AM. I'm f*cked.

Ended up only getting one done, oh well :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

There's a reason university library's are open 24hours! *

So you can go in at 6am, crack out your essay and hand it in for 12!

*In N.Ireland anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭B_Rabbit

I'm on the bus on the way to college, trying to think of another 200 words, and put together a bibliography.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I always considered it a great achievement if I had an assignment handed in over an hour before the due time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Doing a presentation now that's due for 9 tomorrow. I've known about it for 3 months. Kicking myself now.

It went fantastically. Leaving stuff to the last minute FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I was the worst for this back in college, me and a mate would leave stuff to the absolute final hour and still get much the same marks as everyone else, if not more. I used to study from 3-4am onwards for an exam the same day, the only study I could ever do.

One chap in the class was legendary for pulling off impossible workloads, it culminated in forth year where he didn't attend a single class for the last 36 hours of the year and completed over 90% of his thesis in that time. He got it bound on the morning it was due in and handed it in with hours to spare. He got very good marks too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

2 assignments consisting of a grand total of 6500 words due for Monday night. In absolute panic mode but after reading this thread I don't feel so bad. Stocked up with Red Bull and coffee so let the games begin.:pac:

Advertisement