Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'forced' internships

Options
13»

Comments

Irishcrx wrote: »
    A Degree is a brilliant qualification to have , but it won't allow you too walk into a high paying job I'm afraid. It'll stand to you more when you have experience along side it. I don't know where the message came across wrong but some grads definitely come out of college under the impression that a degree is all they need and that companies should be falling over backwards to hire them.

I've interviewed people before during which it seemed the only thing they could really tell me about themselves or the job was that they had a degree in X.

That's great lad , but have you ever actually worked in the field? How do you deal with people? Have you ever actually handled a contract , managed a project?? No??....well I'd be more inclined to either A - Hire somebody who has more experience or B Take you on and give you a chance if I like you but on low salary until you gain experience.

Well lot of people do go into graduate jobs in their field straight from college so wont have experience (and a lot of these jobs actually pay quite well). In fact everybody has to get their first job without experience unless they can somehow magic up experience.

In my opinion its only right to have positions that pay quite well and don't require much experience as studying 4 years in college (or more if you do postgrads) deserves reward imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Well lot of people do go into graduate jobs in their field straight from college so wont have experience. In fact everybody has to get their first job without experience unless they can somehow magic up experience.

In my opinion its only right to have positions that pay quite well and don't require much experience as working 4 years in college (or more if you do postgrads) deserves reward imo.

There were no shortage of people going straight into well paying jobs from college when I finished.

It all depends on the field your looking to get into, a degree in IT would get you into a decent position fairly quickly where as engineering you need that experience , yes of course you'll get hired as a grad but the money won't be great for the first few years until you build it up.

Companies aren't in the business of handing out 'rewards' for college grads I'm afraid just because they went to college , reality is a lot of lads coming out degree qualified or not do fail when on the field of actual work, we hire a lot of the best grads in my company some are very good and hit the ground running , others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Its better to be doing something than nothing. Gaps in a CV are a negitive. You need to show you were doing something, anything. Even volunteer work. A year 'job hunting' will be viewed as playing videogames and sending your CV out once every few weeks. They will look more kindly on you if you were stacking shelves in Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,334 ✭✭✭✭starlit

mountsky wrote: »
    Seriously contemplating making a complaint to the ombudsman re:fas person contacting me practically forcing internships down my throat,as it is I am actively seeking work,I have my degree.I have had interviews,in fact I have another one this week,I am doing my utmost to find a job,I feel under serious pressure from the person who contacted me when in fact all they want to do is massage the figures.
    When questioned as regards what the internship was I was told the details were "confidential", I mean they expect me to forward CV for something that I don't even know what it is
    I am furious, any useful advice would be much appreciated, thanks!

I know how you feel i've been contacted by people like that and find out months later the company goes bust. Some of those jobs I felt I wasn't suited to. I'd only do interviews for jobs I feel suited too. There are other ways to fill in the gaps in CV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭mountsky

I've found with this particular post that there's a lot of ignorance out there, troll warriors and sure good for them, in reality its nothing short of vulgar and distasteful,post finito,what's more is that insulting people in 'cyber space' as it were is nothing short of pety and childish.
    Luckily for me on this Friday afternoon I am sitting at my desk in my new HR job (paid),and thank you for your nasty remarks, it truly reflects what kind of Dxxkheads we have this on this island!I've dealt with people like you,I know of people like, and at Sunday mass, I PRAY for people like you, chow ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

And to think people said you had a poor attitude... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I've found with this particular post that there's a lot of ignorance out there, troll warriors and sure good for them, in reality its nothing short of vulgar and distasteful,post finito,what's more is that insulting people in 'cyber space' as it were is nothing short of pety and childish.
    Luckily for me on this Friday afternoon I am sitting at my desk in my new HR job (paid),and thank you for your nasty remarks, it truly reflects what kind of Dxxkheads we have this on this island!I've dealt with people like you,I know of people like, and at Sunday mass, I PRAY for people like you, chow ;)

You will fit perfectly into HR with your attitude.

Keep looking down at everyone and everything and you will be right as rain.

Best of luck in your new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

A new job and you are showing great example by spending time on the internet? I don't think you'll have the job for much longer by the way things are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Well lot of people do go into graduate jobs in their field straight from college so wont have experience (and a lot of these jobs actually pay quite well). In fact everybody has to get their first job without experience unless they can somehow magic up experience.

In my opinion its only right to have positions that pay quite well and don't require much experience as studying 4 years in college (or more if you do postgrads) deserves reward imo.

I love that attitude. Four years of university got me a temp job in a post room as it turned out I was qualified to do pretty much nothing. My degree and Masters helped me get where I am today but I didn't expect a job as a right once I finished University. I worked some crap and downright mad jobs since leaving third level until I got where I am today. I put that down to in order of importance, ability and willingness to learn, strong work ethic and elements of skills acquired during 4 years of University.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Yeah on Wednesday I was whinging and moaning about not having a job and being forced into internships now on Friday I'm delighted with my new HR job...Likely story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Yeah on Wednesday I was whinging and moaning about not having a job and being forced into internships now on Friday I'm delighted with my new HR job...Likely story.

If there were any jobs out there I would believe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I find most of these people have done projects whilst in college relevant to the degree, and the job that they have applied to. Although some colleges train you for everything, others have industry links, and train you for the industry better.
    Luckily for me on this Friday afternoon I am sitting at my desk in my new HR job (paid)
    If it was a HRM degree, good for you, but keep an eye on the staff turnover. Whilst getting a job at short notice may seem good, I find companies that offer you a job on the spur of the moment can often have high turnover. Depending on the sector you are managing, not bringing in a constant stream of able new recruits may result in your contract being terminated.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

OP, I know your not getting any details about the internship but why not be pro-active and actually go onto the jobbridge site and see if there is an internship up there that would suit your degree. I can guarantee you that you will find it very hard to get a position straight out of college. There is nothing to stop you from continuing to look for work and attend interviews while on the internship. Not making a dig at you here at all, just my two cents.

the_syco wrote: »
    I find most of these people have done projects whilst in college relevant to the degree, and the job that they have applied to. Although some colleges train you for everything, others have industry links, and train you for the industry better.

If it was a HRM degree, good for you, but keep an eye on the staff turnover. Whilst getting a job at short notice may seem good, I find companies that offer you a job on the spur of the moment can often have high turnover. Depending on the sector you are managing, not bringing in a constant stream of able new recruits may result in your contract being terminated.

Best of luck.

Its the 'temporary contract' that I'll be worrying about in 6 months!

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Is your degree in HR?

I am not surprised it took long to get a job. I can't understand how HR is a focus for a Business degree.

Actually, I don't rate any business degrees.

Is your degree in HR?

I am not surprised it took long to get a job. I can't understand how HR is a focus for a Business degree.

Actually, I don't rate any business degrees.

Your point being?

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

Your point being?

Don't have an important point. Just that you have to be realistic. I would be doing internships if I had a HR degree.

Congrats on the job. Best of luck in it.

Don't have an important point. Just that you have to be realistic. I would be doing internships if I had a HR degree.

Congrats on the job. Best of luck in it.

Wires crossed, apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,214 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Its the 'temporary contract' that I'll be worrying about in 6 months!

Ask around and see if they are hiring permanent people some places will have a few permanent people but will have one or two rolling temps in certain areas where they dont know if they can keep them.

Ask the other HR people about blanks in CV's too.

Advertisement