Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a game for a "post Fortnite" 13 year old

• 11-12-2018 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Shock, horror....

My 13 year old son says he is bored with Fortnite. Never thought I'd hear those words from him. Anyways, with xmas coming, can you recommend a game that might interest a boy who spent hours playing Fortnite online with his mates? He has a PS4 btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Competitive online shooters suitable for a 13 year old?

Overwatch is probably your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

Thanks guys. I haven't played games since the Call of Duty franchise went mad (i.e. after MW3) and so I'm out of the loop.

I'll google your recommendations and decide. BTW, any opinions on "Just Cause"??

D13exile wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I haven't played games since the Call of Duty franchise went mad (i.e. after MW3) and so I'm out of the loop.

I'll google your recommendations and decide. BTW, any opinions on "Just Cause"??
    Still for your kid? Just Cause doesn't have any multiplayer on the PS4 so that may rule it out.

If you're open to single player games then the latest Spider-Man game would be top of my list if I was his age.

gizmo wrote: »
    Still for your kid? Just Cause doesn't have any multiplayer on the PS4 so that may rule it out.

If you're open to single player games then the latest Spider-Man game would be top of my list if I was his age.

Yeah, the game is for him. Has to be an online element as all his mates play online. He wouldn't be into single player only. Guess that rules Just Cause out then.

Yeah, the game is for him. Has to be an online element as all his mates play online. He wouldn't be into single player only. Guess that rules Just Cause out then.
    The only other game I can think of that's strictly suitable is Rocket League then.

Destiny 2 is rated 16+ years but to be honest, I think it'd be ok for a 13 year old. It has a mixture of co-operative and competitive play so he'd be well covered there. There's a particular version out that includes all of the content released so far, so if you wanted to go for it, make sure it's this one.

Destiny 2 - Forsaken Legendary Collection

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭killanena

I would say PUBG, pretty much same type of game as Fortnite, just minus the building and cartoony graphics and plus more "realistic" gameplay and graphics. Bit of an older crowd playing it. 12 year old to adults I've met online but you wouldn't here any worse then you hear in Fortnite. You can only talk to people in your group unless you are within close range of other players.

Also Dayz is another I could recommend. Its an open world online zombie survival game that just recently came to PS4. You can group up with your friends, scavenge supplies and weapons to survive, build bases, fight or make friends with other players. Also a very mixed player base in terms of age.

Overwatch was recommend already. Ticks all your boxes. I'm unsure if its on PS4 though. I play on PC.

Call of duty is full of what us gamers call toxic players. You can hear everyone on your team, including people not in your private group but you have the option of muting them. Just something about that game ticks some people the wrong way.

Smite is a free game on PS4 that you could recommend to him. Its call a multiplayer online battle arena, 2 teams of 5 players fight in whats a tactical and action packed gameplay. You can spend money on different cosmetics you can unlock for characters or unlock those characters faster.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head that's available on PS4 :) if I think of more I'll post again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Best bet would be to look at his friends' profiles to see what they're playing if that part is important cause there's no point buying them something their friends don't have :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Get him Tekken 7 so he can learn a real competitive game ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dark Souls.

Family friendly and easy to pick up and play.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Dark Souls.

Family friendly and easy to pick up and play.

You misspelled Bloodborne.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,295 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Overwatch would have been my recommendation as well

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Why are you doing the work for him? When I was a kid I was reading Magazines and reviews to find what would interest me.

Why are you doing the work for him? When I was a kid I was reading Magazines and reviews to find what would interest me.

Because I'm his Dad and I want to get an xmas pressie for my son???? And I'm lucky to have kids who don't ask for much, if anything. When I did ask him what he wanted, he said he was grand, he didn't need anything. Looks like I've done something right

Its crazy the extent what some parents go buying Christmas presents for their kids. A friend of mine had spent over 6k on 4 kids.. In my opinion the time you spent making that 6k would have been much better time spent with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

killanena wrote: »
    Its crazy the extent what some parents go buying Christmas presents for their kids. A friend of mine had spent over 6k on 4 kids.. In my opinion the time you spent making that 6k would have been much better time spent with them.

and what has that got to do with the price of eggs in sweden? or the OP's question for that matter?

OP - Rocket league is a good bet, very competitive and cheap as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

killanena wrote: »

Aye, he'd be much better off being unemployed... That said, fifteen hundred on each child is bloody crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭CDBWhoop

Titanfall 2.
    Decent single player campaign and plenty still playing online. Cheap enough so if he doesn't like it no worries.

and what has that got to do with the price of eggs in sweden? or the OP's question for that matter?

I answered the ops question already giving several options. I was responding to the op stating that their son isn't looking for anything for Christmas and comparing it to what my friend was telling me yesterday.
    Aye, he'd be much better off being unemployed... That said, fifteen hundred on each child is bloody crazy.

He works overtime just to be able to meet his kids demands. And yeah it is crazy. Fair enough if it was a once off gift that meant the world to them.

Anyways op, have you showed any of the mentioned games to your son or looked them up yourself? Any ideas yet? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Black Ops 4. It's the best the series has been in years and the Blackout mode is current the best battle Royale game on the market for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Because I'm his Dad and I want to get an xmas pressie for my son???? And I'm lucky to have kids who don't ask for much, if anything. When I did ask him what he wanted, he said he was grand, he didn't need anything. Looks like I've done something right

if he is into the Battle Royale format but is just sick of the cartoony graphics,then either H1z1 or PubG..
    Rainbow 6 Seige is recommended too,team work is essential with that one..

• Advertisement

Many thanks to all for the recommendations. I'm going to have a chat tonight with him and drop a few game suggestions into the conversation to see if anything interests him.

Thanks again for the help all!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Overwatch is my recommendation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Black Ops 4. It's a great game, and it will show him what a good Battle Royale mode can be like. Plus the MP and Zombies is a haven for co-op if his friends have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Given he's 13 I'd also be inclined to say either Black Ops 4 or Overwatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Spider-Man is a good shout if he’s into single player games too.

What games did you end up getting your son OP? Curious to know :)

Advertisement