Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So what is your record?

Options
  • 07-12-2018 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭

Boxing boardsies ever climbed between the ropes? Amateur or Pro?

I had 1 amateur exhibition fight- great fun
    I judged for 6 years at National level (easily 1000 fights) and reffed for 1. (20)

Whats your card like?

0-1-0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭weemcd

Last time I shadowboxed, the shadow won!

Never had a real fight, only ever did basic training from 25 onwards, and I haven't been training much this year at all. I'm 30 BTW.

Subscribing to see what other users have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Can't remember exactly. Didn't have a huge amount though. I think I had about 20 or so down on my card. Probably 13-7 or that kind of proportion. Won a few more than I lost but lost a few as well along the way.

BTW, you can't get a draw in amateurs except for dual internationals or some exception like that :-) .............. so you'll unlikely get anyone needing the third column

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Can't remember exactly. Didn't have a huge amount though. I think I had about 20 or so down on my card. Probably 13-7 or that kind of proportion. Won a few more than I lost but lost a few as well along the way.

BTW, you can't get a draw in amateurs except for dual internationals or some exception like that :-) .............. so you'll unlikely get anyone needing the third column

Mine was exhibition so officially- a draw!

I have never given a draw as a judge

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I got a draw in the stadium once. Lost on countback?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Judges always had to pick a winner though. Even if you scored the bout even on paper, you were forced to chose a winner. There was a place to write in why you chose one over the other - style or aggressiveness etc. In your case, you didn't get a draw, you just had equal scores at the end of the bout. If the countback (I'm assuming we're referring to the computer system where they went back to total individual button presses) was equal as well then the judges would have had to still pick a winner.

The only exception, as far as I remember, was for international dual matches. And even that was just a technicality. I just seem to remember it from the reffing and judges course back in the day.

(Although as mentioned above for exhibitions....I thought were just no winner rather than actually being declared a draw!......I thought that "exb" or something like that would be marked into the card)

• Advertisement

Thats an L

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

Try_harder wrote: »
    Thats an L

Yes I know it was an L.
    Misunderstood the post, doh.

Yes I know it was an L.
    Misunderstood the post, doh.

Sorry I didnt mean to be a pedant.

One fight I had to press a colour I couldnt split them, so went with the more attacking boxer

Judges always had to pick a winner though. Even if you scored the bout even on paper, you were forced to chose a winner. There was a place to write in why you chose one over the other - style or aggressiveness etc. In your case, you didn't get a draw, you just had equal scores at the end of the bout. If the countback (I'm assuming we're referring to the computer system where they went back to total individual button presses) was equal as well then the judges would have had to still pick a winner.

The only exception, as far as I remember, was for international dual matches. And even that was just a technicality. I just seem to remember it from the reffing and judges course back in the day.

(Although as mentioned above for exhibitions....I thought were just no winner rather than actually being declared a draw!......I thought that "exb" or something like that would be marked into the card)

Some exhibitions are scored others arent. Got a draw.

Anyone else wanna post their record?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

11-3.
    Early 80's schoolboy boxing in Dublin. Phoenix BC on Parkgate St with Tony Davitt training and coaching us.

Great bunch of lads, great club, great atmosphere -with Tommy and PJ Davitt both training as pros at the time.

A young Jim Rock and a host of other amateur Irish champions training in the Phoenix club at the time including Gerry Creighton Jr who is now a zoo keeper in Dublin zoo and regularly appears on the tv programme The Zoo.

Great days and great memories.

Heard an interview with Paschal Collins recently that he started out boxing at The Phoenix club - he must have been around then but I don;t remember him.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,588 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Tony D still at all the local shows.

Walshb did you box?

Any more boxers on here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Try_harder wrote: »
    Walshb did you box?

Yes, EFB, Walshb did box- he was unbeaten- as he is on here:P

Yes, EFB, Walshb did box- he was unbeaten- as he is on here:P

Same as me then!

You box Nacho? I think you did- cant remember

Back training and moving around with lads- love it

walshb wrote: »
    Tony D still at all the local shows.

Yes he is still very involved in boxing. I see him up at the Celtic Warrior gym in Corduff from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭CCR

I've a 100% record of 0-7.

Liked boxing but was terrible at it.

I do have a 15s Munster title by default when I was the only one who weighed in.

• Advertisement

CCR wrote: »

I do have a 15s Munster title by default when I was the only one who weighed in.

Well at least ya got in there and gave it a go! Unlike most of the posters on here, none of whom seemed to have ever laced up a glove - based on their lack of response to the OP's question!

CCR wrote: »

You got through the ropes man

Well at least ya got in there and gave it a go! Unlike most of the posters on here, none of whom seemed to have ever laced up a glove - based on their lack of response to the OP's question!

It certainly has shown me plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭normanoffside

I know there's quite a few posters here with excellent records, just maybe they don't want to identify themselves/boast...

I know there's quite a few posters here with excellent records, just maybe they don't want to identify themselves/boast...

They dont have to give records nice to know their level tho

Yes but they could at least participate and let us know where and when they boxed and who they fought and what their records are! No-one is going to publicly identify them! It's just a bit of fun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Yes but they could at least participate and let us know where and when they boxed and who they fought and what their records are! No-one is going to publicly identify them! It's just a bit of fun:)

Hopefully they do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,505 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

4-1 juvenile record, broke my nose in the fifth fight and my father said never again.

eagle eye wrote: »
    4-1 juvenile record, broke my nose in the fifth fight and my father said never again.

Good on ya! Which club did you box for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,505 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Good on ya! Which club did you box for?
    Roscommon, coached by the late great Tom Foxe.

Advertisement