Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ethiopian Restaurant?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

RasTa wrote: »
    What was the one in Manchester called?

Asmara Bella. 37 Port Street. Tiny little place in the Northern Quarter. Like someone's kitchen. There are others, but we picked it based on the reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

mrcheez wrote: »
    Coffee ceremony with incense etc? :)

Doubt it. Tiny little place. The owner does roast beans in a pan to order though, the aroma fills the entire place up. Super cheap too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Doubt it. Tiny little place. The owner does roast beans in a pan to order though, the aroma fills the entire place up. Super cheap too.

Thanks for the tip. May get a few pals to meet up down there and give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

spurious wrote: »
    Asmara Bella. 37 Port Street. Tiny little place in the Northern Quarter. Like someone's kitchen. There are others, but we picked it based on the reviews.

Going to Manchester today might give this place a spin, since it looks like we'll be waiting a while in Dublin. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,616 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

• Advertisement

Came to Athlone today to try Red Sea Bistro in Athlone. Delicious food and as always a tremendously friendly host. Highly recommend ii if anyone is in Athlone. Book in advance and she will do a selection of food for you. Lovely woman. Turns out she is a friend of the woman in the Manchester place.

Came to Athlone today to try Red Sea Bistro in Athlone. Delicious food and as always a tremendously friendly host. Highly recommend ii if anyone is in Athlone. Book in advance and she will do a selection of food for you. Lovely woman. Turns out she is a friend of the woman in the Manchester place.

Asmrith is legitimately one of the nicest people I have ever met. Glad you enjoyed the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

ah crap I was only in Athlone last week and completely forgot about that place.

What dishes did she do for you spurious?

So wait a sec. Athlone has an Ethiopian restaurant but the capital city does not?!?

Lol Ireland.

So wait a sec. Athlone has an Ethiopian restaurant but the capital city does not?!?

Lol Ireland.

An Eritrean restaurant, to be specific.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote:
    What dishes did she do for you spurious?

I only know the names of one but I will describe the others.

She has trouble getting teff so she makes her own version of injera which she can keep in the fridge for unexpected customers. We booked and I suggest anyone else planning a trip do so. She was telling me she has regulars who come from Dublin, Sligo and Ballinasloe.

We had lamb tibsi, the dish with the chicken and hard boiled eggs (which was fantastic), a lentil dish, one with her own home grown kale, a spicy rice dish and one with sweetcorn and peas all served with her injera.

Afterwards we had a fruit and nut dessert which I think may have had semolina flour in it. It was not 'spongy' but very tasty. Then we had the coffee which she presented in a lovely traditional clay pot. She suggested adding some ginger to it, which was an interesting combination that I will try again.

Such a nice woman. You really feel like you've been visiting a friend. I'm planning to get a group of my friends to come down with me and maybe stay a night in Athlone after.

An Eritrean restaurant, to be specific.

ah true, but is there much difference in the cuisine?

Do they do the coffee ceremony with incense etc?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I did that ceremony in Brussels, was great. Coffee was very different.
    Fantastic ethiopian food if anybody is over that way: https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g188644-d778285-Reviews-Kokob-Brussels.html

Well even within Ethiopia there is a massive range of cultures, 85 million people with 75 distinct languages and umpteen ethnicities, but the food over laps a lot.

But yeah lot of food in Ethiopia and Eritrea/Somaliland would be very similar. Injera/engera served with firfir, shiro, tibsi etc. And would be largely influenced by the traditional foods of the Habesha people.

Unfortunately I never asked but she (the owner) does roast fresh beans in a little pot on a stove to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,962 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Just seen on Instagram that their is an Ethiopian popup restaurant going to be in Cloud Cafe in North Strand Rd on the 9th & 10th August and every Friday/Saturday after that.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bz_riqtilX4/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

i shall have to charge across the road.

That's Friday lunch sorted :D

I think it might just be the evenings, but Cloud cafe very nice for lunch too.

**edit
    Just checked. It will be from 7pm and will need bookings as they are limiting it to 30 per evening.
    The booking link will be on their facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/Gursha-817342758645113

I think it might just be the evenings, but Cloud cafe very nice for lunch too.

**edit
    Just checked. It will be from 7pm and will need bookings as they are limiting it to 30 per evening.
    The booking link will be on their facebook page.
    https://www.facebook.com/Gursha-817342758645113

is this just a concept to test the waters before they open a proper restaurant later?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

is this just a concept to test the waters before they open a proper restaurant later?

Would imagine so, a good opportunity for them to test the menu and get feedback before deciding to rent a place with a long lease.

Sound great but at only 30 covers would imagine bookings will get snapped up quick.

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Would imagine so, a good opportunity for them to test the menu and get feedback before deciding to rent a place with a long lease.

Sound great but at only 30 covers would imagine bookings will get snapped up quick.

indeed... things like this book out well in advance in Dublin.

It would be quite a clever use of facilities to run it in the same place once Cloud Cafe shuts for the day.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I really hope that this is the beginnings of a full Ethiopian restaurant in Dublin. The food I had at one in San Francisco was delicious - we loved it so much we went back twice - and the city and country are more than ready for one.

Fingers crossed! :)

wow loads have sold already. I'll wait till the restaurant opens properly, as I've no idea when I can get people organised to join for the meal :rolleyes:

I asked about drink (cos, you know....). There will be wine and soft drinks on sale in Cloud Cafe. Not sure about beer, but I suppose they are testing things out at the moment.

I wonder if they'll expect people to actively participate in Gursha? :)

I wonder if they'll expect people to actively participate in Gursha? :)

Could make for some interesting new friendships.

Could make for some interesting new friendships.

You never really know someone until you have their fingers down your throat

• Advertisement

Booked for the second weekend. Niiice.

Advertisement