Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Ongoing Doctor Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭flazio

We have a date. Sunday, not Saturday, the 7th of October.
    https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1037309410408902656?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I am excite

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ooh, Sunday night? That's kinda interesting, wonder what the thinking at the Beeb is. Sunday works better for me - and of course that's the main thing :D

Just need a 'proper' trailer now!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sunday really sucks for me sadly. Who was the last programme I watched live as it aired and now I'm completely out of the habit.

I hope it works out, whatever the beeb is up to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

I usually end up recording it and watching it on Sunday anyway, so suits me grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Be nice if the BBC not reveal all the spoilers in advance of this season.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Fingers crossed: I can't think of a single show in SciFi more inclined to spoil its own surprises than Dr. Who

Couple of promo shots to get us in the mood: nothing spoiler'y, and I guess from the first episode given Whittaker is still in 13's clothes:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1042383416950513666

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1042383641383522305

Seems to be returning to a "mad (wo)man with a box" vibe going by the second picture.

Another trailer, this time with more FX / action. (I had read elsewhere that
    the Daleks / Cybermen etc. won't appear this season, that all adversaries would be new

• Advertisement

Also, according to an article in Variety, there will be (only) 10 standalone episodes in total; and for the cinematography geeks out there, the season has been shot with anamorphic, 2:1 lens - evident in the trailer now that I'm watching it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Apologies for harking back to the Jodie Whittaker backlash which was happening here, as well as on the wider web. But this really is quite depressing. TBH, I feel quite sorry for all the broflakes flouncing out of the fandom over this non-issue. Even over matters such as multi-racial casting.

The BBC is a public broadcaster, funded through a heft license fee. As such, it must represent the people who're paying for it (the British people). The British people are a highly racially diverse bunch of people. As such, that should be reflected in BBC programming.

As for the possibility of a female Doctor, this is not new (in fact, it's long overdue). Here's the late great Patrick Troughton discussing it in an old interview.

Edit: And Jody nailed it, so the broflakes will have to just keep on crying or change their awful attitudes.

It's actually just what always happens. People upset because the Doctor changing. A load of people just looking forward to the change. Different year, same ****.

Looking back through this thread, I have to say I feel I was quite justified in this statement. Not hearing a lot from the people who dismissed it.

Not that I'm saying it's all golden, the regen story doesn't necessarily give good indications where they're going.

Not a fan of using terms like 'broflakes', and would ask to keep things civil & respectful of others.

Am surprised how quiet things seemed to be around the time of broadcast; I had honestly expected another round of arguments as the first episode came closer, yet the mood seems to have been broadly warm & celebratory (unless I've missed some Twitter maelstrom, but my usual haunts delight in reporting on Tweet slude). The positive first impression Whittaker left with folk probably did a lot of the work.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Not a fan of using terms like 'broflakes', and would ask to keep things civil & respectful of others.

Am surprised how quiet things seemed to be around the time of broadcast; I had honestly expected another round of arguments as the first episode came closer, yet the mood seems to have been broadly warm & celebratory (unless I've missed some Twitter maelstrom, but my usual haunts delight in reporting on Tweet slude). The positive first impression Whittaker left with folk probably did a lot of the work.

Yes it's been pretty much silent in my twitter realms too. I would suspect those with an agenda might be waiting for the- inevitable, really- ratings dip before they come out to "I TOLD YOU SO".

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I enjoyed the episode pretty well. Haven't heard many complaints either, closest was one friend confused by Bradley Walsh being in the show :pac:

Bradley was involved with Doctor Who before.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Huh, never watched SJA so I didn't know he was around before.

Angron wrote: »
    Huh, never watched SJA so I didn't know he was around before.

Not sure how well it stands the test of time but at the time I thought it actually had some better stories then even Torchwood and Doctor Who were churning out. Touching on subjects like dementia, teenage deaths, broken families, the attraction of War games. It certainly wasn't just "Let's gunge the aliens"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I'm a bit behind on my viewing and have only just seen the Rosa Parks episode, which I loved. It was the kind of episode I've always wanted from a show that is supposed to travel in time as well as space. Very low key alien shenanigans, loads of history and it didn't feel like previous episodes with a message, like it was banging you over the head with it all the while thinking it was subtle. I also loved how they didn't interfere with Rosa herself. They never told her what she was supposed to do or pushed her towards it. They just made sure the situation presented itself to her. I feel like the last showrunner would have had some great pontificating speech to give and basically make the Doctor responsible for Parks' actions. Chibnall has pitched everything perfectly so far.

Loving the new gang so far. Not overly keen on Ryan, he seems like the weakest link, acting wise , but I'm loving Whittaker's Doctor, and even Bradley Walsh is doing a great job. I know he's not new to acting but I always associate him with light entertainment TV host kind of cheesy stuff.

Also, in the 3 episodes I've watched there's been some genuinely funny bits. The "Tim Shaw" moment in the first episode was brilliantly silly but Whittaker is very good at flipping from the silly to the serious. Her face at times during the Rosa Parks episode was a masterclass in expressing things without needing words.

So yeah, that's my 10p worth, only a few weeks behind :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

I'm a bit behind on my viewing and have only just seen the Rosa Parks episode, which I loved. It was the kind of episode I've always wanted from a show that is supposed to travel in time as well as space. Very low key alien shenanigans, loads of history and it didn't feel like previous episodes with a message, like it was banging you over the head with it all the while thinking it was subtle. I also loved how they didn't interfere with Rosa herself. They never told her what she was supposed to do or pushed her towards it. They just made sure the situation presented itself to her. I feel like the last showrunner would have had some great pontificating speech to give and basically make the Doctor responsible for Parks' actions. Chibnall has pitched everything perfectly so far.

Loving the new gang so far. Not overly keen on Ryan, he seems like the weakest link, acting wise , but I'm loving Whittaker's Doctor, and even Bradley Walsh is doing a great job. I know he's not new to acting but I always associate him with light entertainment TV host kind of cheesy stuff.

Also, in the 3 episodes I've watched there's been some genuinely funny bits. The "Tim Shaw" moment in the first episode was brilliantly silly but Whittaker is very good at flipping from the silly to the serious. Her face at times during the Rosa Parks episode was a masterclass in expressing things without needing words.

So yeah, that's my 10p worth, only a few weeks behind :)

Don't bother with next two, I like Whittaker & Walsh but the storylines have been awful this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

David Tennant has a podcast!?!?

FunLover18 wrote: »

Fairly recently launched, Jodie is his third guest. Olivia Colman was his first and Whoopi Goldberg was his second.

FunLover18 wrote: »

He will also star in that new Amazon prime TV show 'Bad Omens'

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

He will also star in that new Amazon prime TV show 'Bad Omens'

Good Omens, but indeed he is the bad one :pac:

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Good Omens, but indeed he is the bad one :pac:

Bahahahaha

Think I naturally prefer the dark sides.

Looks like the 13th Doc will get her own (VR) game; only a cinematic teaser for now. Do people en masse even play VR games?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Doctor Who and Video Games haven't really been that great. Nice little video on that very subject

• Advertisement

First season 12 promotion popped up too, must all be timed I guess.

https://mobile.twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1130926244801974273

Advertisement