Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lenovo Smart Clock / Smart Clock Essential

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,000 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

My essential came this morning. Very happy with the turnaround time.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

All out of stock (:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭budgemook

Reserved one yesterday in Curry's and picked up it today. Thanks to the poster for letting us know Curry's have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Ordered two from the Curry shop, at least you can order them in black!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

Would recommend anyone seriously looking at the Lenovo models to also consider the Google Nest Hub. This is approx €60 currently but has 7inch screen, camera and better down, also better google assistant integration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Agent_47 wrote: »
    Ordered two from the Curry shop, at least you can order them in black!

I caved and bought one on Currys there now. It was the black version that tipped me over the edge! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

BBMcQ wrote: »
    Would recommend anyone seriously looking at the Lenovo models to also consider the Google Nest Hub. This is approx €60 currently but has 7inch screen, camera and better down, also better google assistant integration.

Where its available for €60?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

coldfire1x wrote: »
    Where its available for €60?
    Someone posted a link on page 5, is approx. 68 euro. A waiting list I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

august12 wrote: »
    Someone posted a link on page 5, is approx. 68 euro. A waiting list I think.

I know about that. When you said 60, I thought its a different source.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I was going to buy my dad the Echo Dot with the clock but think one of these will do the job just as well ?

It will be used for clock alarm and tunein radio ,I might add a smart light for him at some stage .

What ye folks think,just go with the essential or is the cheaper one going to do the job required just as good ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

BBMcQ wrote: »

Camera would put me off tbh.

yabadabado wrote: »
    I was going to buy my dad the Echo Dot with the clock but think one of these will do the job just as well ?

It will be used for clock alarm and tunein radio ,I might add a smart light for him at some stage .

What ye folks think,just go with the essential or is the cheaper one going to do the job required just as good ?

I got the essential for my folks as that's all they'll use it for. It also has a nightlight option that I think they'll appreciate

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭curranbaz

beauf wrote: »
    Camera would put me off tbh.

Google Nest Hub doesn't have the camera, only on the Max which is over €200 last time I checked!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Caranica wrote: »
    My essential came this morning. Very happy with the turnaround time.

Hi ,
    Sorry to ask but just wondering who shipped the order.
    I got a tracking number on Tuesday but it doesn't work on ups.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Hi ,

Thanks.

Same issue here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Hi ,

Thanks.

That always happens coming from Lenovo. It'll take a couple of days from that notification until it arrives.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

Hi ,

Thanks.

It was UPS. Got a text yesterday that it would be delivered today but then it arrived about an hour later.

Mine hasn't even arrived yet but I'm already curious.. I'm guessing there's no play store of course, but can you sideload apps?

People mentioned TuneIn above but I much prefer the RadioPlayer app.. plus it's free.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Mine hasn't even arrived yet but I'm already curious.. I'm guessing there's no play store of course, but can you sideload apps?

People mentioned TuneIn above but I much prefer the RadioPlayer app.. plus it's free.

Think of it more like a Chromecast - they are no apps to install. When you say "OK Google, play XYZ" - it will look across the services available to you to see what it can find to play (either TuneIn, YouTube Music, Spotify etc.).

BTW, TuneIn is free - I know their mobile app nags you to subscribe but it's 100% free.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Genghis wrote: »
    Yes Newstalk the same. Probably a Communicorp thing, I don't think it happens with RTE or BBC, albeit nearly sure have heard it on some other UK stations too.

So I presume these ads will happen, regardless of if I use TuneIn or another one- correct

• Advertisement

dinneenp wrote: »
    So I presume these ads will happen, regardless of if I use TuneIn or another one- correct

Happens with Newscorp stations on Radioplayer as well. Not any of the other stations though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭shnaek

Can anyone tell me how to change the time format on the smart clock essential to 24hr? I've asked it a few different ways and it just sets alarms and timers. Other than that it's very nice. Small, bright, sound isn't bad at all. Just arrived 10 minutes ago so no real time to test it properly yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭drogon.

shnaek wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to change the time format on the smart clock essential to 24hr? I've asked it a few different ways and it just sets alarms and timers. Other than that it's very nice. Small, bright, sound isn't bad at all. Just arrived 10 minutes ago so no real time to test it properly yet.

Same issue here. There is a thread on the Lenovo forum but doesn’t seem to be available for me. Maybe it will be pushed out in the future.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Smart-Display-Lenovo-Smart-Clock-with-Google-Assistant/Smart-Clock-Essential-24h-format/m-p/5046857

Also hate that it has a leading 0 in the hour field and lack of showing the date

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭shnaek

drogon. wrote: »
    Same issue here. There is a thread on the Lenovo forum but doesn’t seem to be available for me. Maybe it will be pushed out in the future.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Smart-Display-Lenovo-Smart-Clock-with-Google-Assistant/Smart-Clock-Essential-24h-format/m-p/5046857

Also hate that it has a leading 0 in the hour field and lack of showing the date

For sure. It's a serious irritation. How can it be difficult to set it to a 24 hour format? And that leading 0 is also annoying and purposeless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Tracking working for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,823 ✭✭✭budgemook

Kinda sorry I haven't got one of these for myself now. Maybe someone will get me one for Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭wiz569

Ush1 wrote: »
    Tracking working for anyone?

Nope didnt work at all but it just arrived at the door in the last hour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Same here. UPS site didn't recognise the tracking they gave, but it showed up today, 3/4 days after ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

My two arrived today , no hassles .

Wouldn't fancy not being able to track a laptop or something of value.

Are Lenovo generally safe enough with off the shelf items ?

• Advertisement

Are Lenovo generally safe enough with off the shelf items ?

I have a Lenovo Chromebook that's 5 years old and it's perfect. Never had an issue with it.

Advertisement