Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTÉ2 + 1

• 15-01-2019 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

Hidden Channel 12 on Saorview has been labelled RTÉ2 +1 with info saying Launching 5th Feb (3 weeks from today)

Presumably it will launch on the other platforms on the same day

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭batistuta9

How come this is launching?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Hidden Channel 12 on Saorview has been labelled RTÉ2 +1 with info saying Launching 5th Feb (3 weeks from today)

Presumably it will launch on the other platforms on the same day

In beautiful SD no less...

You'd have to wonder about the benefit of these +1 channels now, most people have access to some sort of DVR, and the player is there too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

dulpit wrote: »
    In beautiful SD no less...

All +1 channels are in SD with the exception of Channel 4 +1 which is exclusively on Freeview in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

All +1 channels are in SD with the exception of Channel 4 +1 which is exclusively on Freeview in HD

No, I know this. It's another reason I don't understand the need for these sorts fo channels any more..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

If these channels were taking space preventing other channels from launching i'd complain but as they're not I welcome the addition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It seems strange to launch this when people can use internet based services. I presume they will also be limited re advertising.

The bbc iplayer has watch from the start which eliminates the need for these +1 channels and is a better service as you can watch straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

So does RTÉ1+1 break out as a standalone full-time channel instead of its current timesharing with RTÉjr.?

The bbc iplayer has watch from the start which eliminates the need for these +1 channels and is a better service as you can watch straight away.

The RTE Player allows this too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

@FRIENDO Any developments on Saorsat?

lertsnim wrote: »

Not on saorview connect yet. It still has the old player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

I said it before and I'll say it again that RTE should stick to the original plan for Saorview to gives us RTE 3 HD with all new programming :mad:

lgs 4 wrote: »
    I said it before and I'll say it again that RTE should stick to the original plan for Saorview to gives us RTE 3 HD with all new programming :mad:

I wonder would an rte sport channel work better. Use it for their live sport (simulcast on rte 2) but they could use it for match clashes and could run reruns or radio sport programmes to fill it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭lgs 4

I wonder would a rte sports channel work better. Use it for their live sport (simulcast on Rte 2) but they could use it for match clashes and could run reruns or radio sports programmes to fill it out.

That would be another channel idea , like a free sports box office channel in HD

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

No change on Saorsat yet, but loads of space to add the +1 channel

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Another attempt to convince the nation that the licence fee is being well spent. And the same easily-amused million Irish households who tap their feet to Daniel O'Donnell and think Ryan and Miriam are saints will lap it up, for the most part.

So does RTÉ1+1 break out as a standalone full-time channel instead of its current timesharing with RTÉjr.?

Hopefully. I guess the relevant minister or his dept will outline the changes in the next couple of weeks. Virgin won't like it, but considering they manage to fill 3 channels with rubbish they haven't a leg to stand on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

To think Virgin could have used some of that bandwidth on HD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

To think Virgin could have used some of that bandwidth on HD :)

Virgin have no interest in ever doing that - it doesn't suit their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will it be 24 hours a day or just appear at 7pm like RTE1+1?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

And more importantly, if it is 24 hours, will RTÉ 1+1 be going 24/7 as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

lertsnim wrote: »

I can't see how you can do this on the new rte player so can you please explain how you start a show from the start when it is live and 15 mins in like you can on the BBC iPlayer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Prince William

Ffs, they'd be better off trying to give rte2 some sort of identity, I don't know if it's meant to be a youth channel or RTE 1 and a half, the odd evening mix of repeats of RTE 1 shows, old episodes of top gear mixed with the big bang theory is very confusing.

reni10 wrote: »
    I can't see how you can do this on the new rte player so can you please explain how you start a show from the start when it is live and 15 mins in like you can on the BBC iPlayer?

Click on the circular arrow to the left of the progress bar and that will take you back to the start of whatever is on at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

At the moment, the information tag stating the 5th February launch date and the RTÉ2+1 channel label have both been removed.....

But, it is carrying subtitles for RTÉ One.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

PFMC84 wrote: »
    And more importantly, if it is 24 hours, will RTÉ 1+1 be going 24/7 as well?

Would it make sense to go 24 hours though? For either channel, that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

New test channel screen on No. 12 solid beeb no epg (RTÉ +1 is 11) so possibly RTE2+1 wiil be 12.

The 3 other tests channels now have blank screens no noise, still showing test epg info

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I have a tvheadend back end and Kodi clients, can I make this channel visible now? Failing that, do I need to do anything when it officially launches to make it visible?

Life ain't always empty.

• Site Banned Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Dakotabigone

This is just the gig Raymond Darcy is looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I have a tvheadend back end and Kodi clients, can I make this channel visible now? Failing that, do I need to do anything when it officially launches to make it visible?

Figured it out. Configuration - Channel/EPG - Channels - Add.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

In today's Sunday Independent, "the minister has approved RTE plans to provide a new RTE2+1 television service as well as an extended 24-hour RTE One+1 service. Virgin Television had objected to these plans. RTE intends to make these services available on all platforms from February 13".

Advertisement