Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N5 - Westport to Turlough [open to traffic]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 HabibiLibnen

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

It is a 2 part tender process, part 1 is the pre-qualification stage where contractors are shortlisted usually 5-7. The 2nd part is when the tender documents are issued to the shortlisted contractors for pricing.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

I mentioned this in N59 thread but it's worth adding here too, the N5 project will include the upgrading of the bad bends at barleyhill on the N59 outside Westport. See end of this article:

http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/105502/barley-hill-action-is-urgently-required-or-lives-could-be-lost

• Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the traffic management plan is going to be interesting an read, its crossing the n5 in more the place and the n60 close to the breaffy roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I mentioned this in N59 thread but it's worth adding here too, the N5 project will include the upgrading of the bad bends at barleyhill on the N59 outside Westport. See end of this article:

http://www.advertiser.ie/mayo/article/105502/barley-hill-action-is-urgently-required-or-lives-could-be-lost

I had to use google maps for barleyhill.:D

Some really bad bends out that direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Anyone worried this could be delayed due to NCH overspend.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

irishgeo wrote: »
    Most of the savings for this year will come from deferring the A5 scheme in Northern Ireland. I wouldn't be worried about this project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

New road to Micky Rings town, NEVER:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

Anyone know are there houses being knocked at Breaffy where the bypass will cross over.? Passed by recently and I can see the fencing on the right hand side as you head towards Castlebar but can't see much space for it on the left..???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭godskitchen

UsBus wrote: »
    Anyone know are there houses being knocked at Breaffy where the bypass will cross over.? Passed by recently and I can see the fencing on the right hand side as you head towards Castlebar but can't see much space for it on the left..???

I was thinking the exact thing last week, looks like something will have to be knocked alright

• Advertisement

You're not the only one thinking this, now Mayo councillors are kicking up a stink saying N5 project is at risk. If Govt end up breaking this promise to Mayo electorate after 20 years of promises by FG and FF, Michael Ring and co will be crucified at the polls!

http://www.mayonews.ie/news/33543-national-children-s-hospital-could-stall-n5-holmes

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/03/30/4171823-mayo-councillor-questions-new-170m-n5-road-start/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Can't see Ring allowing that to happen given the personal impact it would have on his own career.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Absolute nonsense. The required cover for the overspend in 2019 is €100m. The share of this coming from the DTTAS budget is €27m - all from the A5 project

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Yep, there’s no risk - the Mayo councillors are probably just impatient. As are we!

spacetweek wrote: »
    Yep, there’s no risk - the Mayo councillors are probably just impatient. As are we!

I went to a public consultation for the preferred route in Westport leisure centre back in 2001, and the projected opening date was 2005 - so I agree with you about people being impatient :)

This project as presented then is far inferior to the current one though - it was only single carriageway, with no Westport relief road included. And it ended at a new roundabout on the current Castlebar relief road, which was badly congested at peak times even back then.

It's been a long wait but thank goodness that version wasn't built!!

I went to a public consultation for the preferred route in Westport leisure centre back in 2001, and the projected opening date was 2005 - so I agree with you about people being impatient :)

This project as presented then is far inferior to the current one though - it was only single carriageway, with no Westport relief road included. And it ended at a new roundabout on the current Castlebar relief road, which was badly congested at peak times even back then.

It's been a long wait but thank goodness that version wasn't built!!
    Indeed. The three schemes starting this year, N4/N5/N22 have grown many legs over the years and whilst waiting for them has been torturous, the schemes we are getting now are absolute top notch.

If we ever get the ambition to complete the 2+2 schemes as planned on routes like the N2/N3/N4/N5/N11/N13/N14/N15/N17/N21/N22/N24/N25/N26 then this country will be absolutely transformed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,944 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Anyone got detailed maps of this? The one on RegDesign is indicative only.

Anyone got detailed maps of this? The one on RegDesign is indicative only.
    There is one in the tender documents: https://irl.eu-supply.com/app/rfq/publicpurchase_frameset.asp?PID=129639&B=ETENDERS_SIMPLE&PS=1&PP=ctm/Supplier/publictenders

Thanks, but the route in the pdf there is too low res to see properly.

Thanks, but the route in the pdf there is too low res to see properly.

Try the Mayo NRDO website, go to N5 page, then project development, phase 3 Design, then design report, volume 2 part 2.

http://www.regdesign.com/?page_id=493

Proper hardcore maps in there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭12 element

Try the Mayo NRDO website, go to N5 page, then project development, phase 3 Design, then design report, volume 2 part 2.

http://www.regdesign.com/?page_id=493

Proper hardcore maps in there :)

Those drawing have the road all the way to Turlough but that's not being built now. Not sure what other differences there are

12 element wrote: »
    Those drawing have the road all the way to Turlough but that's not being built now. Not sure what other differences there are

Best thing to do is to use the tender docs as a reference and the older maps for detail

Scheme being built includes N59 realignment out to Kilmeena also.

12 element wrote: »

Only differences should be ones stipulated by ABP in their decision, which, apart from cutting the online upgrade to Turlough, were mostly minor. For example they wanted freeflow slip lanes at one or two of the roundabouts omitted and pedestrian and cycling provision improved along Westport relief road.

Great maps, thanks!

I'm surprised the junctions with the new road and the old N5 east and west of Castlebar will be big roundabouts, but even Islandeady is getting a grade separated one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

Coming back from Castlebar yesterday there were workers marking the road with GPS units near where the roundabout is going on the N5 on the Turlough end.

4 tenders for this project being evaluated. SIAC/Colas, Wills/BAM, Roadbridge/Sisk and Clonmel/Sacyr/John Craddock.

Tender award in September with work to begin in Q4, after Leo and co arrive in town for a photoshoot and PR stunt.

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/06/10/4175370-four-tenders-competing-for-200m-mayo-road-project/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

What on earth are they doing with the greenway where it intersects with the ring road in Westport? For clarity: I'm saying 'what on earth', because it's unclear.

However, the drawings of the cycling provision around Westport are the usual poor quality.

I really hope they have already done work to improve these. I've yet to look at the rest of the route but I don't have high hopes based on the first drawings and what I've heard the people tell me what the council said to them.

482534.PNG

attachment.php?attachmentid=482535&stc=1&d=1560281562

Can't make any sense of that drawing.

Many of the conditions ABP added as part of its approval relate to improved provision for cyclists around Westport. See Order pdf at this link: http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/HA0042.htm
    monument wrote: »
    What on earth are they doing with the greenway where it intersects with the ring road in Westport? For clarity: I'm saying 'what on earth', because it's unclear.

However, the drawings of the cycling provision around Westport are the usual poor quality.

I really hope they have already done work to improve these. I've yet to look at the rest of the route but I don't have high hopes based on the first drawings and what I've heard the people tell me what the council said to them.

482534.PNG

attachment.php?attachmentid=482535&stc=1&d=1560281562

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Can't make any sense of that drawing.

Sorry -- that was an extract from a map in the tender documents. Here's the key:

482681.PNG

Advertisement