Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV Licence - ALL TV licence discussion/queries in this thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Groinshot wrote: »
    I didn't say anything about the OP. Laws aren''t made for the minorities. .

Nope but if minorities arent taken into consideration when laws are drafted the result is a bad (and often unworkable) law
    Groinshot wrote: »
    I never said that there is any did I? I don't see anywhere in my post where it states there is.

Nope

You drew an analogy and I pointed out that it wasnt a particularly good one.

watty wrote: »
    The most recent legislation.

Which is called ?

(is it the Broadcasting Act 2009 or something even more recent ?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Groinshot

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    You drew an analogy and I pointed out that it wasnt a particularly good one.

I still think it was a decent analogy...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Could be.

watty wrote: »
    Could be.

Youre not really giving much away are you ?

Had a look through the TV licencing provisions of the 2009 legislation and there wasnt anything RE: Battery operated sets there. If there is such a provision its probably in a statutory instrument.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Three threads merged. Can we keep the TV licence discussion to this thread please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭sgthighway

My TV Licence has expired since November. It has expired every November for the last 10 years and I normally renew it every February when I am normally flush with cash. It is always back dated.

Instead of renewing it could my spouse go down next week and just get a new one under her name - she uses her maiden name.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

In relation to the FG Manifesto

1. The 4 year plan provides some of the licence fee to TG4
    2. The Department has to renegotiate An Post collection of the service each year.

Are they planning to stop exchequer funding to TG4?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Collecting the licence fee from the lecky bill is a sound idea as it is difficut to avoid paying, and when people move, they take their lecky bill with them. It is also collected every two months rather than once a year, and would cost almost nothing to collect. Also if it is added to all bills, then there is no argument as to whether a monitor is a TV or a USB stick is a receiver.

Small problem is whether it is liable to VAT, but I'm sure they will decide sometime in the future that it is.

If it is a sneaky way of reducing funding of TG4, then that is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭Apogee

Here's the quote again from the Manifesto regarding methods of collection. As noted in the other (locked) thread, this was something that Charlie Flanagan had made a point of in relation to the numbers being sent to jail each year for non-payment of the licence, something which could be eradicated by adopting the approach below.
    TV Licence: We will change the TV Licence into a household-based Public Broadcasting Charge applied to all households and applicable businesses regardless of the device they use to access content. We will look a new ways of collection including the possibility of paying in instalments through another utility bill (electricity or telecom), collection by local authorities, the Revenue or a new contract with An Post. This will reduce the cost of collection and widespread evasion and could yield a further €20m per annum. TG4 will be funded from the charge by 2014.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Good RTE page about the TV Licence

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

Yes I have done it multiple times over several years. When asked do you have an existing licence just say no and do as you suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

As we all know at lot of people on welfare get a free TV license

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/publications/sw107/Pages/1WhatallowancesareintheHouseholdBenefitsPackage.aspx#all3

I propose that if you qualify and avail of this service you cannot keep this benefit and subscribe to subscription TV like Sky, UPC or other cable providers.

Thinking, if you can afford subscription TV then you can pay a license. I am tired of all the loafers with the full sky pack including sports getting a free license.

Thoughts?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The free TV licence is not means tested. Perhaps that is what you intend.

It is unreasonable to restrict those who avail of a free TV licence as to how they spend their money. Perhaps they are house-bound and cannot get out to see sports, or go to the cinema. It is part of their pension, like the fuel allowance. Didn't a woman die last January because Dublin City Council turned of the heating in her apartment block in the coldest spell?

Why not restrict those who avail of unhealthy junk food? ... or those who smoke? Why not reduce social welfare so that they cannot afford Sky? Get rid of children's allowance as it only encourages people to have children.

I do not think so! Not many are on free TV licences anyway.

As we all know at lot of people on welfare get a free TV license....I am tired of all the loafers with the full sky pack including sports getting a free license.
    "a lot of people" = pensioners over 70
    "all the loafers" ??? Just exactly what age would you expect people to work to ?
    It is unreasonable to restrict those who avail of a free TV licence as to how they spend their money.

Isint giving them a "free TV licence" as opposed to an extra €160 per year doing exactly that :confused:

Isint giving them a "free TV licence" as opposed to an extra €160 per year doing exactly that :confused:

No, they are required to have a TV licence if they have a TV. If they do not have a TV, then the 'Free TV Licence' does nothing. Giving a free licence is a simple gesture on behalf of the state. To restrict it to those who do not have Sky/UPC is just weird. Perhaps the over-70s medical card should be restricted to those who do not have private medical insurance, and the 'free travel' to those who do not have a car. Or even the state pension to those who have no other income.

The new government have said that they will revise how the licence is to be collected, and that it will apply to ALL premises, whether in possession of a TV or not. Collection could well be by the electricity or phone bill. Obviously the electricity bill is easier, as everyone has electricty but not everyone has a phone.

They are also to introduce a form of property tax.

No, they are required to have a TV licence if they have a TV. If they do not have a TV, then the 'Free TV Licence' does nothing.
    Err Mon point exactement
    To restrict it to those who do not have Sky/UPC is just weird..
    Not taking issue with you on that one. (If anything pay TV subscribers have more of a case....)
    The new government have said that they will revise how the licence is to be collected, and that it will apply to ALL premises, whether in possession of a TV or not. .
    Just when I thought things couldnt get any worse........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

RTÉ HAS said it is “reviewing” the legality of a service offered by a broadband company giving people access to all the Republic’s terrestrial channels via the internet without the need to buy a television licence.

Magnet WebTV was launched five weeks ago and offers live web streams of RTÉ 1, RTÉ 2, TV3, e3 and TG4. The broadband company plans to enhance its offering to include both Dáil and Seanad TV in time for the first sitting of the 31st Dáil on Wednesday.

It says its service is a “small, but welcome, relief to cash-strapped consumers” and claims it will let people “eliminate TV licence fees and costly cable subscriptions”.

While the numbers watching its live streams remains small – just 600 users have been watching daily since it was launched at the end of January – the service now has more than 10,000 registered users and if it continues to grow, it will negatively impact on RTÉ’s revenues from licence fees.

An RTÉ spokeswoman said it had been in correspondence with Magnet about the issue in recent weeks. “The regulatory and legal framework around it is complex. We are currently reviewing it,” she said. Magnet, however, insists there is nothing complex about its new service and says it is entirely legal. A spokesman said it represented a “paradigm shift in how TV is viewed”.

He said the company would continue to offer the free service to everyone whether they use Magnet’s broadband packages or not. He said streaming live television online was allowed for under the Broadcasting Act 2009 provided the channels were free-to-air.

“Under this Act everyone in Ireland is entitled to receive the free-to-air channels irrespective of the device they wish to watch it on,” he said. “The Act and its obligations refer to the Republic of Ireland only and to this end Magnet WebTV has geo-blocked the service to ensure it is only available within the Republic.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/0307/1224291485000.html

It says its service is a “small, but welcome, relief to cash-strapped consumers” and claims it will let people “eliminate TV licence fees and costly cable subscriptions”.

What about costly Broadband connections?

Anyway RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 provide live services online

http://www.rte.ie/live/
    http://www.tv3.ie/live.php
    http://www.tv3.ie/3e/live2.php
    http://beo.tg4.ie/main.aspx?level=Ff

Oddly they aren't always on due to rights issues, I assume that RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 may ask how Magnet can show full live streams while they cannot!

Elmo wrote: »
    What about costly Broadband connections?

Presumably it is pitched at people who would want broadband anyway (ahead of a TV)
    Oddly they aren't always on due to rights issues, I assume that RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 may ask how Magnet can show full live streams while they cannot!
    Presumably the magnet service is only accessible to users of the ISP in question and there is less of a "problem" with users outside Ireland attempting to circumvent geolocking restrictions.

• Advertisement

Presumably it is pitched at people who would want broadband anyway (ahead of a TV)

Presumably the magnet service is only accessible to users of the ISP in question and there is less of a "problem" with users outside Ireland attempting to circumvent geolocking restrictions.

It is there to make magnet money.

You can sign up for the 5 TV channels online, I don't know if it is geolocked.

https://www.magnetwebtv.ie/web/login.jsp

It is really an ad for magnet. So there has to be some rights issues.

It is there to make magnet money.

what an interesting concept -who would have thunk it
    You can sign up for the 5 TV channels online, I don't know if it is geolocked.
    https://www.magnetwebtv.ie/web/login.jsp
    Unsupported Magnet WebTV Region
    Sorry but Magnet WebTV is not available in your area!

Guess that answers that question :(

what an interesting concept -who would have thunk it

Guess that answers that question :(

Sorry

Why do RTÉ, TV3 and TG4 all take programmes off their schedules on their on line feed and at the same time have ROI only live programmes???? I don't know if TV3 take their ads off programming online but both RTÉ and TG4 take their broadcast ads off line (TG4 used to show advertising online).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Have magnet got permission?

Just because they have agreed rights for their pay TV service, gives no implied right to stream on Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭nacho66

I don't understand one thing, and I'd hope someone can explain. If I have RTE on Sky and I'm already paying Sky for the whole packet, why the hell am I forced to pay anything to Irish government? Because it's not about the TV itself, is it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

nacho66 wrote: »
    I don't understand one thing, and I'd hope someone can explain. If I have RTE on Sky and I'm already paying Sky for the whole packet, why the hell am I forced to pay anything to Irish government? Because it's not about the TV itself, is it?

That is it exactly what it is all about. The TV licence is premission from the government to own a television set. You might find the idea of needing premission from the state to own a piece of electronic equipment strange, but that is the law.

You need a licence from the state to own a dog, to own a bull, to have a car on the road, to run a pub, to drive a car, to fly a plane, to sell stamps, to sell booze, and lots of other thing, as well as own a TV ( or any electronic apparatus capable of receiving broadcast TV images).

You do not need a licence to ride a horse, own a cow, own a cat, ride a bicycle, and a few other things, including owning a radio to listen to broadcasts.

So it's capability of receiving TV broadcast determines if TV license applies? Even if I don't receive a broadcast and have only Xbox connected to it? I mean, I have sky alright, but just in theory. So basically, government has no way to check if we actually watch TV on our TV sets so they assume this based on a 'capability' of an apparatus. Same thing they do with speeding ticket mail... they assume recipient got the letter.

As a matter of interest... if a license expires on 31st of March, how much time do I have to pay a standard, no penalty fee after that date? Cause paying such idiotic fees is the last thing on my list if it comes to utilizing the home budget

nacho66 wrote: »
    So it's capability of receiving TV broadcast determines if TV license applies? Even if I don't receive a broadcast and have only Xbox connected to it? I mean, I have sky alright, but just in theory. So basically, government has no way to check if we actually watch TV on our TV sets so they assume this based on a 'capability' of an apparatus. Same thing they do with speeding ticket mail... they assume recipient got the letter.

As a matter of interest... if a license expires on 31st of March, how much time do I have to pay a standard, no penalty fee after that date? Cause paying such idiotic fees is the last thing on my list if it comes to utilizing the home budget

Will you pay sky as a priority?

• Advertisement

Will you pay sky as a priority?

Of course. There are obvious reasons behind paying regular sky, phone, broadband or electricity bills, aren't there? Like continuity of the actual service for example. Sky is direct debit so it's kinda priority anyway

Paying license is just throwing 160e away. You don't get any service or material product for it. It's a very expensive feeling that you're 'clean', a 'protection money' in a way. So expensive and so frustrating in it's sense that no wonder people look for ways to avoid paying it.

Advertisement