Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M20 - Cork to Limerick [preferred route chosen; in design - phase 3]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭neddynasty

rounders wrote: »
    Covid. They are doing consultations over the phone and video call if you want one. There will be no in person ones or at least there is no plan at the moment unless a lot changes in the next month

Will be interesting to see if there is more or less feedback because it's virtual. I'm not sure I'd have known about it other than this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭rounders

neddynasty wrote: »
    Will be interesting to see if there is more or less feedback because it's virtual. I'm not sure I'd have known about it other than this thread.

Having the map available online is definitely an improvement on the one page flyer they sent out last time but yes I fear a lot of people don't know about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

**Online Public Meeting** M20 Limerick to Cork Motorway on Thursday 10th December at 8pm -All Welcome *Please Share*
    ⏩I am holding an online Public Meeting to discuss the #M20 #Limerick to #Cork Motorway Public Consultation Routes Document on Thursday 10th December at 8pm via Zoom.
    ��To join the discussion click here: http://kieranodonnell.ie/m20publicmeeting/ or email kieran.odonnell@oir.ie or call 061-204040. The Zoom link will be provided before the meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

I get the feeling that the 'M20 Steering Group' has been formed.

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/M20-route-option-could-decimate-local-connectivity-say-residents-in-the-area-f97e60cd-5177-4766-ae62-fe872057aa09-ds#.X8_gWA9dEzg.twitter

The proposed M20 route that follows the N20 route is being strongly opposed by hundreds of Whitechurch residents who say the motorway could potentially rip communities apart and destroy family homes and farms.

A newly formed action group has been actively engaging on social media and through virtual meetings since the public consultation on the new motorway opened on November 19, 2020.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

This shouldn't be too much of an issue. It's the blue (offline) route south of Mallow they are taking issue with. It would be daft if the existing N20 south of Mallow wasn't an online upgrade. It's a 15m+ wide road in places with earthworks complete. The alternative would be ferociously expensive.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    This shouldn't be too much of an issue. It's the blue (offline) route south of Mallow they are taking issue with. It would be daft if the existing N20 south of Mallow wasn't an online upgrade. It's a 15m+ wide road in places with earthworks complete. The alternative would be ferociously expensive.

I agree with what you’re saying, it’s wide enough in many places. Are they basically stating their case to keep it online? This thing will be costly enough without legal challenges

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I agree with what you’re saying, it’s wide enough in many places. Are they basically stating their case to keep it online? This thing will be costly enough without legal challenges
    The 2010 routing kept the M20 on the existing road alignment from south of HERE.

I would imagine something similar this time with some minor diversions in places. This would render the Whitechurch objection moot as they are objecting to the alternative route south of here rather than the motorway itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

if it's online, then surely it would not split communities and would be an improvement to now as suitable bridges and underpasses would have to be installed , which would keep their local journeys off the main roads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭cjpm

The first paragraph of the article is completely wrong. They are supporting an online upgrade, as proposed in 2010, not opposed to it. Read the full piece.

Its actually shambollic journalism to have such a massive mistake in the opening paragraph of an article.

Isambard wrote: »
    if it's online, then surely it would not split communities and would be an improvement to now as suitable bridges and underpasses would have to be installed , which would keep their local journeys off the main roads

None of the local communities between Cork and Mallow are opposed to the online upgrade (2010 design) as its such an improvement on the existing N20. I heard that there is huge opposition to the Navy Route.

• Advertisement

I get the feeling that the 'M20 Steering Group' has been formed. What makes me laugh......

It’s a public consultation. People are entitled to canvass for support for or against a particular route.
    Completely different to a few NIMBYs taking legal challenges to a selected route.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭E36Ross

Just been looking, Is they're any semi-detailed proposed routes? (Roughly the townlands they plan to go through?)

Or do they first decide on which route and then plan it after that?

E36Ross wrote: »
    Just been looking, Is they're any semi-detailed proposed routes? (Roughly the townlands they plan to go through?)

Or do they first decide on which route and then plan it after that?

There is an online map that shows 2 500m wide corridors.
    Www.corklimerick.ie

cjpm wrote: »
    It’s a public consultation. People are entitled to canvass for support for or against a particular route.
    Completely different to a few NIMBYs taking legal challenges to a selected route.

Trucker you’re a great poster, but it’s bad form to go publishing their spokespersons details. Maybe you should consider editing the post. IMHO

Edited.
    However I have no control over any quotes other than original post.

Edited.
    However I have no control over any quotes that fbyhe original post.

Fair play. We are all frustrated with the state of Cork roads but it must be 1000 times worse for truck drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

It looks like they are for the road and 1 particular route which is ,which is what the consultanion are for ,so not overly worried at the moment

Fair play. We are all frustrated with the state of Cork roads but it must be 1000 times worse for truck drivers.

It is. I remember one time being stuck in traffic when heading back to the depot in Mallow to finish a shift, there was a car crash involving 3 vehicles between Ballygibbon & Rathduff, the delay was over 1 hour stuck in traffic due to diversions, stop/go etc. Frustrated is definitely one way to describe it, when it’s the main artery to/from work 5 days a week it’s a nightmare,

MOD: I have edited the post in question above.

On a side note, I should have stressed earlier that this remains a route selection exercise with a public consultation element. The Whitechurch objection is purely against the offline navy route, rather than the motorway itself. The online option didn't seem to cause much issue in that area in 2010 and is likely (imo) to be chosen again, so once the route options are chosen we can work from there. A quick look at the topography of the area and the benefits of reusing the existing N20 New Mallow Road would let you see why the 2010 routing would likely be chosen again.

It is. I remember one time being stuck in traffic when heading back to the depot in Mallow to finish a shift, there was a car crash involving 3 vehicles between Ballygibbon & Rathduff, the delay was over 1 hour stuck in traffic due to diversions, stop/go etc. Frustrated is definitely one way to describe it, when it’s the main artery to/from work 5 days a week it’s a nightmare,

wait until they start building it. I recall suffering the Nenagh bypass rebuilding to motorway standard online and it wasn't a picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,124 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

wait until they start building it. I recall suffering the Nenagh bypass rebuilding to motorway standard online and it wasn't a picnic.

All because Tipp Co Council who did the by pass refused to do as requested by the NRA

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

All because Tipp Co Council who did the by pass refused to do as requested by the NRA

Can you please explain what you mean by the above post? Limerick were the lead authority for this project so not sure what Tipperrary could have done against the wishes of the NRA.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Limerick74 wrote: »
    Can you please explain what you mean by the above post? Limerick were the lead authority for this project so not sure what Tipperrary could have done against the wishes of the NRA.

Think he's talking about the original bypass when built in the late 90s.

I've never been to Nenagh :pac:

On a serious note though i can only imagine as it sounds similar to what happened with Watergrasshill when the bypass was "robbed" as some of the locals said in 2008

I've never been to Nenagh :pac:

On a serious note though i can only imagine as it sounds similar to what happened with Watergrasshill when the bypass was "robbed" as some of the locals said in 2008

completely off topic but last time I was that way, the village street had been re-opened to through traffic, rendering the expensive local bypasses pretty much redundant

completely off topic but last time I was that way, the village street had been re-opened to through traffic, rendering the expensive local bypasses pretty much redundant

I agree, it is. Waste of money then.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Ball boy

submissions date is extended to 15th January

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It's still fairly heavily used at "commute hours".
    A steady stream of cars southbound in the morning, from Rathcormac/Bartlemy direction. Toll dodgers use this route too, they don't go through the village, which loses priority for them and has traffic lights.

Definitely not redundant or a waste of money, as far as I'm concerned. It's performing its function. I use it reasonably often.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Limerick74

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

There is an online map that shows 2 500m wide corridors.
    Www.corklimerick.ie

Cant find a recent route options map on that site - last one seems to be from May 2020. Can you guide me please?
    I already have a link to the options on pinpointcloud.co.uk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

I find it a busy route with the HGVs going down to the Kepak factory, or the HGVs coming off the motorway to Tarrant in Sarsfield Court. Also Prompto Dispatch who are about 1Km off that road. All of which is traffic that could easily block up the main street, as is seen when the Centra is getting a delivery.

Advertisement