Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

My wisdom tooth extraction experience

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

harr wrote: »
    getting my 4 wisdom teeth out in clane on thursday morning but i have a wedding nine days after the op will i be ok to go and enjoy the day dont want to be in pain for it.what do u think should i be ok after nine days :confused:

I think you'll be fine after 9 days.

BTW I may see you on Thursday:). Getting mine out in clane too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

I think you'll be fine after 9 days.

BTW I may see you on Thursday:). Getting mine out in clane too.
    how many are you getting out?i have to be there for 12.good luck and hope it dont hurt to much:D

how many are you getting out?i have to be there for 12.good luck and hope it dont hurt to much:D
    I'm getting them all out too. Was told when the app was made that I need to be there for around 12 too. Was also told I'd receive a letter the week before hand but haven't gotten it yet. I should probably call tomorrow and make sure they haven't forgotten about me! :)

I'll happily put up with the pain for the week off work:D

I'm getting them all out too. Was told when the app was made that I need to be there for around 12 too. Was also told I'd receive a letter the week before hand but haven't gotten it yet. I should probably call tomorrow and make sure they haven't forgotten about me! :)

same here no sign of my letter,hope i dont have to drink through a straw at the wedding:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭BizzyLizzie

You might be lucky like me and have no pain :D

• Advertisement

You might be lucky like me and have no pain :D
    Oh if only! :)

Had mine out yesterday, here's a quick run through my day...

12pm - Arrived at the hospital, was shown to my bed, I was weighed, nurse took blood pressure and asked me some questions. Chilled out for a while, listened to some music and browsed boards on my phone!:)

Sometime around 1pm-1.30pm the anesthesiologist came to see me, asked me a few more questions and told me I wouldn't be given a GA because of my weight :( So it was just a local for me! Soon after the doctor came to see me to run through a few things, and also said that because it was only going to be a local, that we'd take out 2 and see how we're getting on...

2.15pm (i think) - I was brought to the operating theatre where the nurse asked me a few more of the same questions and then I hopped up onto the bed. This is where it got a little daunting, so may people fussing around you! They hook you up to a load of monitors, your blood pressure is automatically taken periodically. The anesthesiologist hooked up the sedation to a vein in my hand. It was a new experience for me so anyone who's had any kind of surgery before will be used to it.

Once everything was prepped the doctor gave me a few injections on either side of my mouth, at this stage the sedation started to kick in and I felt quite woozy, and a little queezy, very strange at first but was quite nice after a few minutes:)

Then the doctor started going at it, obviously I couldn't feel a thing and it really wasn't that bad! I was half asleep due to the sedation, they put a rubber thing in your mouth to keep it open so there's absolutely no effort required from you during the whole thing. Sure, you can hear everything being done but it's grand! The doctor and nurses were fantastic, really making me feel at ease and the doctor was talking to me throughout, telling me what he was doing and what to expect.

Both teeth took about 15 minutes to do, the doctor said that we should probably leave the top two, as they're buried deep enough. Honestly, I was more than happy to keep going but I obviously trust his judgement more than mine :).

After that I was rolled into the recovery room, my BP was a little high afterwards so stayed there until it returned to normal and then I was rolled back to my room, where I was helped into bed and that was that. This was at 3.20pm.

I had some orange juice and a yogurt at around 4.30, and oh my god it was heavenly! I hadn't eaten or drank since the night before so seriously, I don't think OJ has ever tasted so good :D

After all that I was allowed home around 5.45, only reason I had to wait until then was I had to see the doctor first and he was in surgery. He gave me a prescription and some instructions on after care (in the form of a leaflet) and then I was on my way. Got the prescription on the way home and only cost €38, plus some Corsodyl mouth wash. The anesthetic was wearing off from just before leaving the hospital, so I really couldn't wait to get home and take some pills!

Right now I'm not feeling too bad, a little swollen and in a little bit of pain but I haven't taken any pain killers this morning so hopefully once that's done it'll be a little more comfortable. Plus I haven't really experienced any bleeding that I've noticed so thats good.

Overall, the worsts parts of the whole thing were the injections in my mouth and hand, and even that was ok! So to anyone who is worried, don't be! You'll be well looked after. It's not going to be anywhere near as bad as you think!

Oh if only! :)

Had mine out yesterday, here's a quick run through my day...

12pm - Arrived at the hospital, was shown to my bed, I was weighed, nurse took blood pressure and asked me some questions. Chilled out for a while, listened to some music and browsed boards on my phone!:)

Sometime around 1pm-1.30pm the anesthesiologist came to see me, asked me a few more questions and told me I wouldn't be given a GA because of my weight :( So it was just a local for me! Soon after the doctor came to see me to run through a few things, and also said that because it was only going to be a local, that we'd take out 2 and see how we're getting on...

2.15pm (i think) - I was brought to the operating theatre where the nurse asked me a few more of the same questions and then I hopped up onto the bed. This is where it got a little daunting, so may people fussing around you! They hook you up to a load of monitors, your blood pressure is automatically taken periodically. The anesthesiologist hooked up the sedation to a vein in my hand. It was a new experience for me so anyone who's had any kind of surgery before will be used to it.

Once everything was prepped the doctor gave me a few injections on either side of my mouth, at this stage the sedation started to kick in and I felt quite woozy, and a little queezy, very strange at first but was quite nice after a few minutes:)

Then the doctor started going at it, obviously I couldn't feel a thing and it really wasn't that bad! I was half asleep due to the sedation, they put a rubber thing in your mouth to keep it open so there's absolutely no effort required from you during the whole thing. Sure, you can hear everything being done but it's grand! The doctor and nurses were fantastic, really making me feel at ease and the doctor was talking to me throughout, telling me what he was doing and what to expect.

Both teeth took about 15 minutes to do, the doctor said that we should probably leave the top two, as they're buried deep enough. Honestly, I was more than happy to keep going but I obviously trust his judgement more than mine :).

After that I was rolled into the recovery room, my BP was a little high afterwards so stayed there until it returned to normal and then I was rolled back to my room, where I was helped into bed and that was that. This was at 3.20pm.

I had some orange juice and a yogurt at around 4.30, and oh my god it was heavenly! I hadn't eaten or drank since the night before so seriously, I don't think OJ has ever tasted so good :D

After all that I was allowed home around 5.45, only reason I had to wait until then was I had to see the doctor first and he was in surgery. He gave me a prescription and some instructions on after care (in the form of a leaflet) and then I was on my way. Got the prescription on the way home and only cost €38, plus some Corsodyl mouth wash. The anesthetic was wearing off from just before leaving the hospital, so I really couldn't wait to get home and take some pills!

Right now I'm not feeling too bad, a little swollen and in a little bit of pain but I haven't taken any pain killers this morning so hopefully once that's done it'll be a little more comfortable. Plus I haven't really experienced any bleeding that I've noticed so thats good.

Overall, the worsts parts of the whole thing were the injections in my mouth and hand, and even that was ok! So to anyone who is worried, don't be! You'll be well looked after. It's not going to be anywhere near as bad as you think!
    got mine done yeaterday in clane aswell nearly the same as above but i got a full GA and got the 4 out.got them out around 3 or so and was allowed home around 7.30,a bit of pain during the night took pain killers and got back to sleep.not to bad today i just take the pain killers at the right times and i should be fine my face is swollen a bit my jaw is sore and cant open my mouth that far had jelly and ice cream for lunch.so dont worry its not that bad .:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭BizzyLizzie

I was so scared I postponed it twice out of fear! Best thing I ever did though. Absolutely no pain whatsoever. Slight ache in my cheek bones about a week later, that's it. Wasn't so lucky with the GA though and had to be sedated after I woke up so maybe things balanced themselves out :pac:

3 days now and not much pain only a bit at night.i am a bit weak from not eating a whole lot they told me no solids for 4 days so haveing soup and mashed fruits.the meds are makeing me a bit sick on strong painkillers and antibiotics and diafine.

Yeah the meds are making me feel like crap too. Yesterday I felt awful although I'm not too bad today.

• Advertisement

day 5
    stoped taking my strong pain killers yesterday just on panadol every 4 hours or so.the pain before bed last night was very bad took the panadol and was ok slept through the night and not to bad this morning.gald i stoped the strong pain killers as they were makeing me very tired all day,still have my antibiotics and diafene to take.i think the lack of food is the worst thing i am very week at times.need solid food,and that corsodyl is rotten your taste buds go all funny and it leaves a horrid taste in my mouth for hours.:(

day 5
    stoped taking my strong pain killers yesterday just on panadol every 4 hours or so.the pain before bed last night was very bad took the panadol and was ok slept through the night and not to bad this morning.gald i stoped the strong pain killers as they were makeing me very tired all day,still have my antibiotics and diafene to take.i think the lack of food is the worst thing i am very week at times.need solid food,and that corsodyl is rotten your taste buds go all funny and it leaves a horrid taste in my mouth for hours.:(
    You know difene is a painkiller? I assume you had the same doctor as me, he prescribed me a 2nd painkiller (can't remember the name) but told me not to get it unless really needed because of the side effects. So I've just been taking the difene, antibiotic and the other tablet to help the difene, as well as paracetamol.

You know difene is a painkiller? I assume you had the same doctor as me, he prescribed me a 2nd painkiller (can't remember the name) but told me not to get it unless really needed because of the side effects. So I've just been taking the difene, antibiotic and the other tablet to help the difene, as well as paracetamol.
    i know difene is painkiller i was on tylex as well which cotains paracetamol and codiene,so between the difene and the tylex there were makeing me fairly sick.the difene and antibiotic will finished on thursday.i think they gave me the tylex because they had to take a bit of bone on my left side.is your face swollen at all?my left side is just along the jaw line it just came up sunday night.

i know difene is painkiller i was on tylex as well which cotains paracetamol and codiene,so between the difene and the tylex there were makeing me fairly sick.the difene and antibiotic will finished on thursday.i think they gave me the tylex because they had to take a bit of bone on my left side.is your face swollen at all?my left side is just along the jaw line it just came up sunday night.
    Nope, my swelling's gone down almost completely. Pain has increased on my right side though since yesterday!

Yeah I think it was tylex I was prescribed too, didn't get it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 willy_wonka

having all four taken out in a few week, anyone offer any advice on how long I should take off work for recovery or do i need to take any time off at all?

having all four taken out in a few week, anyone offer any advice on how long I should take off work for recovery or do i need to take any time off at all?
    you wil need time off work maybe 3 or 4 days, but you will still have a good bit of pain for a week or more. as for advice take your meds and painkillers every 4 hours you will need them.everybody is different it took nearly 2 weeks for my pain to go but some people it only lasts 4 or 5 days,as for food icecream,mashed spuds i lived on spuds for the week.good look

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mpeter92

I had my 4 wisdom teeth removed last week under general anaesthetic in St. James Hospital. The surgery took about 2 hrs i think. My biggest problem was figuring out what to eat. A week off work should be enough but everyone is differnet. I was really craving carbs. The swelling has gone down now completely, my chin is still numb not sure if this will go away but its not a problem.

I have to go back to see the consultant on in a couple of days for a check up. I was pretty worried about it before but i needn't have been. Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭accaguest

I got my two right side impacted wisdom teeth out last Feb in the dentist chair and it was 'as bad as dentistry gets' according to my dentist. It took the best part of two hours and I was laid up for about 3 days. Nonetheless it was worth it so I went back on thursday last to remove the left two.

This was even worse. I got into the chair for 9.30am for the l.a. and 5 mins later we started. After a short break around 11 for me to put more money in the parking meter and him to tell his next patient he'd have to cancel, and about 6 more l.a.s, we finished at 12.51pm. My face is a big as a football and I have now pushed the 'bad as it gets' dentistry procedure to another level.

Starting to recuperate already however and what I'm now concerned about is how much it's going to cost me. The first two cost me 300 and that included a bit of a clean when I got the stitches out. I'm not going to pay any more than that this time, surely I shouldn't have to? I know it took twice as long as expected but I feel that he over extended himself by trying to do it in the chair and the rate should be by the tooth not the hour. Am I in the right here?

(He may only charge me that, I got out of there without an invoice for the first time ever, I think all of us just wanted to get the hell out of there.)

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TheReverend

So i may have to get my top right wisdom tooth out, and was wondering if its covered on medical card, and if it is what will be used to numb the pain, not looking forward to this at all, currently have infection because of the tooth and am anti biotics, any information would be fantasic

gettin my four out in a few weeks, says he is not going to put me under local going to numb me even though there impacted, anyone got theirs out this way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cat_M

Got 2 out yesterday. Went ok, pretty sore and have hardly eaten anything, so starving! Am taking ibubrofen which is helping. What I'm wondering if that doc gave me a cert for 7days. I doubt at this early stage I will need a week tbh but just i case, I might well do.
    He didn't give me any form for illness benefit. If i take more than 3 days I think I have to claim illness benefit but does that mean I have to go back to the hospital to get the form? Or can I pick one up at my local dentist and ask her to sign it? I presume you need a doctor to sign but have never filled one out before.
    Is it odd that the doc didn't give it to me there and then? I was half out of it after sedation and didn't think of it til much later.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Anyone going for top wisdom tooth extraction thats no bother had my top ones removed by my dentist in England and dont remember it being too bad, bottom impacted wisdom teeth however are another story and I had mine removed one in England and one in Ireland both in hospital was not aware that people took time off work for this? I went back to work the same day even with the stitches etc, I will warn people to be careful though the one I had done in Ireland was infected when it was removed the doctor just sutured up the wound and discharged me with no antibiotics.
    Around 2 days later the sutures burst and the infection was rampant had to get 4 couses of antibiotics to clear it up and my gum has been left badly scarred so food etc gets stuck in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

top wisdom teeth are not difficult it the impacted lower ones that people have trouble with usually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

So i may have to get my top right wisdom tooth out, and was wondering if its covered on medical card, and if it is what will be used to numb the pain, not looking forward to this at all, currently have infection because of the tooth and am anti biotics, any information would be fantasic

They use to be when I got them done, it was for the dublin dental hospital beside trinity
    your dentist would know though if its covered he wont bat an eyelid, if not he'll tell you how much you need to pay :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cat_M

ok, got 2 lower teeth out 9days ago. I had been doing ok but I have been in awful pain for the last 3 days. Have been taking prescription painkillers since then (had been managing fine with nurofen prior to that, had some prescription ones that I kept for emergency!) So now i'm guessing that I've got an infection on one side depite, as I thought, taking great care over the past week e.g. eating mashed foods, regularly rinsing with salt water...
    So will need to get onto dentist first thing in the a.m. as I'm at the end of my teher now. And I thought I was doing so well.... :(
    Prob got that awful dry socket thing that I'd been trying to avoid -dammit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭chiefbrody1974

I heard off someone before that having them out should only be recommended in the case of chronic and recurring pain. Its supposed to be a very important tooth, the wisdom ones. IM 36 and have only one of them, partially erupted. other 3 are still below the gumline, at an angle I think.
    I had 4 teeth taken out in 24 hours for braces, no big deal I though. lots of stitches and blood but over all, not so bad. I was eating omellette and toast that night and went the gym.

That said, I hate having that scale and polish thing done by the hygienist, does my head in, seems to take forever, although its realy 15 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Just to remind everyone that no names are allowed. Post that mention specific clinics or dentist/oral surgeons will be deleted. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Got 3 wisdom teeth removed on Wed 20th, 12 days ago - one lower (impacted) and 2 upper. All required to cut into the gum, and the lower to be cut into the bone (!).

Surgeon told me he'd be cautious about going for the last one since it was buried really deep and there would be a greater chance of complications (permanent tingling). I'm glad he didn't now, since the other lower wisdom tooth that was removed was the worst one to recover with.

I've still some stitching, apparently they should dissolve at some point. Although the bleeding has stopped, gums still a bit tender. Some blood in the morning etc. Face was swollen and slightly bruised for near enough 5 days tho.

Also, had a reaction to either the anti-biotic (augmentin), or the pain killer (difene) - terrible rash covering most of my back! Seems to be fading now anyway, since I stopped taking the meds a week ago after my mouth got better.

I'll be glad when my mouth starts feeling "normal" again, and hopefully won't need to worry about the last one giving me any trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Loraco

Hiya,
    Just found out need to have the 2 lower wisdom teeth out but after reading some of the threads I am feeling much better about the whole thing than i was earlier. The thing I am worried about is the cost-no insurance and have been told that the right one is close to nerve so will need to have a GA. There seems to be v little info online about fees and where I can get this done (my dentist can't admin the GA). Any help or advice on the cost would be great...well as great as paying for a dentist can be!:)
    Thanks L

• Advertisement

had mine taken out last wednesday, been doing ok, not really had any issues with pain so far, worse part by far is eating nothing but yougurt for the last few days, tried toast this morning but found it very difficult to chew, the surgery itself was ok except for all the injections i had to get in my gums, was all done in under an hour, have a slight tingling in my tongue since but this should go away in a week or two hopefully

Advertisement