Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favourite quote?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

“Hold my beer, watch this” has spawned so many good YouTube clips.

“Trust the awesomeness” by skippy, from a series of books I’m listening to at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Jellon Lamb: (singing) Oh, Danny boy, the flies, the flies are crawling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Hotei

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Confucius

"You only fail when you quit trying"

- My dad, but he probably got it from someone else. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

'Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, nor hell a fury like a woman scorned'
    You can't bate a bit of auld William Congreve.
    Used only recently in the Dr.Foster tv series.
    Unfortunately, in my experience, rings true too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Too many favourites, so i'll give one by Ed from Youghal:
    Lecturer: the early bird gets the worm.
    Ed: but the early worm gets eaten...
    Class.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

If you think hiring a professional is expensive just wait until you hire an amateur

The difference between you and those you envy is that you settled for less

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My dad used to say something about people who constantly second guessed their actions or were stuck on events in history.

“It’s hard to move forward when your always looking behind yourself”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

All men are guilty of the good they did not do.
    Voltaire

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" - Socrates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

A quote from my oul fella

'Never walk first in a bog or second in a forest'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

My favourite quotes come from Ron Swanson
    'When people get too chummy with me I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don't really care about them'

'There's only one thing I hate more than lying:skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Edit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Brian Clough.."I wouldn't say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one."

And also from Mohammed Ali about Brian Clough..

"There is some fella in London named some Brian -- Brian Clough. Some soccer player or something. I heard all the way in Indonesia that this fella talks too much. He says that there is another Muhammad Ali -- there is just one Muhammad Ali.

"I'm the talker. Now Clough, I've had enough, stop it."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭Are Am Eye

Winnie the Poo and one of his side kicks traveling in as storm....

sidekick: what if one of these trees blows down and crushes us?
    Poo: what if it doesn't?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

No ones ever gotten out of their life alive yet.
    Or similarly - If your not living on the edge, your taking up too much room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

EPAndlee wrote: »
    My favourite quotes come from Ron Swanson
    'When people get too chummy with me I like to call them by the wrong name to let them know I don't really care about them'

'There's only one thing I hate more than lying:skim milk. Which is water that's lying about being milk'
    "You're welcome...Lester" - April to Ron

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Table Top Joe

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”

Usually attributed to Mark Twain but apparently it mightn’t have been him......either way, always loved it and in the age of Trump never more apt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

“When I was a boy of 14, my father was so ignorant I could hardly stand to have the old man around. But when I got to be 21, I was astonished at how much the old man had learned in seven years.”
    Mark Twain

H.L. Mencken — 'A philosopher is a blind man in a dark room looking for a black cat that isn't there. A theologian is the man who finds it.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

'Work is the curse of the drinking classes'
    Attributed to Oscar Wilde I think.

• Advertisement

"Stop insisting on clearing your head.
    Clear your fücking heart instead"

:) Good 'ol Charles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

As slick as a post coital penis.

-Anonymous

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Go home and get your fcuking shine box.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" - Socrates
    +1000.

"The greatest deception men from comes from their own opinions".

"Anyone who conducts his argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence, he is just using his memory". Both Leo DaVinci.

He also opined of marriage that was akin to; putting your hand into a bag of snakes in the vain hope of pulling out an eel. I'm on the fence on that one. :D

Though I have to say I always liked oul Leo. He lived in a time of some restriction, yet he was pretty open with his "eccentricities", not least of which his gayness(though he thought all "physical love" a bit icky), his constant questioning, flamboyant in word, deed and dress and wasn't exactly good with paying bills and often absconded with payments for work he'd only half done. Yet he was near universally liked, even loved, basically because he was great craic and kind with it. Pure sh1te poet mind you.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

"as a community, we are living away beyond our means...." ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Nothing fùcks up your Friday like discovering it’s Thursday.

Me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Charmeleon

“I hate quotations. Tell me what you know” - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

'You don't have to be quicker than the lion.
    You just have to be quicker than the guy in front of you.'

Billy Connolly.

Advertisement