Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favourite quote?

• 10-11-2017 11:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭

I see quotes posted all over Instagram every day , motivational ones , inspirational etc etc etc

Is there a single one that stuck in your head ?

From a historical figure , a celebrity or even something somebody you knew said.

My favourite quite is a cartoon of Winnie the Pooh responding to Piglet.

Piglet: some day we're going to die Pooh...

Pooh : true. But every other day we won't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Piglet: What day is today Pooh?
    Pooh: It's Monday, Piglet.
    Piglet: Well fcuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

That Pooh lad is wise beyond his years.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,719 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It’s the fcukin catalyna winemixer

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭paulpd

"I missed Italia 90. I was in Italy at the time"

Con Houlihan

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Tommy Ferguson

Make it Happening - Tony Beets Gold Rush

• Advertisement

"I can't help that I have a heavy flow and a wide-set vagina!"

- Mean Girls, 2004.

also:

"The true measure of a man is how he treats somebody who can do him absolutely no good"

- attributed to Samuel Johnson, but could be anybody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Candie wrote: »

"The true measure of a man is how he treats somebody who can do him absolutely no good"

- attributed to Samuel Johnson, but could be anybody

Oh, I like that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Two of my favourites

'Please accept my resignation, I don't care to belong to a club that would have someone like me as a member'

Groucho Marx

'I spent all my money on booze, gambling and women. I wasted the rest of it'

George Best

You never open your mouth until you know what the shot is - Ricky Roma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

"I've learned that life is one crushing defeat after another until you just wish Flanders was dead." - Homer Simpson

and

"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of the women." - Conan the Barbarian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Oh, I like that one!

We all do. Cos it's Candie's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

'Luck is when opportunity meets preparation'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

"Hell is other people" - Jean Paul Sartre.

We all do. Cos it's Candie's.

Aw! <3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Quote from a Yeats poem but it's stuck with me for many years;

'And pluck til time and times are done, the silver apples of the moon, the golden apples of the sun'

• Registered Users Posts: 12,719 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

“Assumption is the mother of all fcuk ups”.....The bad guy in under seige

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Carl Sagan on The Pale Blue Dot
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pale_Blue_Dot

We succeeded in taking that picture, and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there – on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light.
    [...] To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

The second mouse always get the cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭DaithiMa

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" and "I can resist everything, except temptation" both Oscar Wilde.

• Advertisement

"I'm kind of a psychic, I've got a fifth sense. It's like I have ESPN or something. My breasts can always tell when it's going to rain...Well - they know when it is raining"

- also Mean Girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

Never argue with an idiot... They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Have a cup of tea and a biscuit - my Granny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Orson Welles improvised classic from The Third Man
    After all it's not that awful. You know what the fellow said – in Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace – and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock. So long Holly.

People often say quotes are a bit silly and kind of empty but I love them. Most I take from favourite poems. Here are three of my current favourites :)

"There is a loneliness in this world so great that you can see it in the slow movement of the hands of a clock
    People so tired
    Mutilated either by love or no love

People are just not good to each other"

Charles Bukowski.

"I keep remembering. I keep remembering.
    My heart has no pity on me"

Henri Barbusse.

"The past beats inside me like a second heart"

John Banville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

More of a dialogue I guess but from Trainspotting..

Tommy: Useless mother****er, that's what she called me. I told her, I'm sorry, but these things happen. Let's put it behind us.

Spud: That's fair enough.

Tommy: Yes, but then she finds out I've bought a ticket for Iggy Pop the same night.

Spud: Went ballistic?

Tommy: Big time. Absolutely ****ing radge. 'It's me or Iggy Pop, time to decide.'

Spud: So what's it going to be?

Tommy: Well, I've paid for the ticket.

This is one I think of whenever I see people insisting that everyone is hateful and selfish and uncaring at heart:

“We don't see the world as it is, we see it as we are”
    ― Anaïs Nin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭tastyt

Even a broken clock is right twice a day

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

I’ve two that have stuck with me.

Life is mainly froth and bubble
    Two things stand like stone
    Kindness in another’s trouble
    Courage in your own

Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done; because they want to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

The Winnie the Pooh one is good.

I have to say, I ****ing hate seeing these on LinkedIn though. Some pretentious twat posts something like “employees don’t leave companies, they leave managers” and loads of pricks with an inflated sense of their own importance are on it acting as if it’s the most insightful, 100% true quote of all time. Nonsense.

Or another one a few weeks ago I saw was by Malcolm X. “When you use ‘we’ instead of ‘I’, even ‘illness’ becomes ‘wellness’.” Now as catchy and clever as it is, it’s not really that insightful, it’s just a coincidence of spelling. People were acting as if Moses had just come down off the mountain with the tablets of stone.

Advertisement