Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your faviourite walk

• 07-11-2019 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for interesting walks and trying to figure out what types of walks people generally prefer- forests, parks, by the lakes or the sea.

The background is that i heard this tcd professor Shane o Mara wrote a book about the benefits of walking. So im looking to get out for more walks.

For me, i like walking around the local park, just because i dont have to get into my car to get to it first. its nearby. And i hate walking by houses with smoke coming out of chimneys choking my lungs.

So where do you like to do your walk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Great South Wall in Dublin is probably my favourite. If you go from Strand Road out through the nature reserve and all along the pier it's a 6-mile round trip.

The banks of the Liffey from the War Memorial Park up to Chapelizod (and indeed the WM Park itself is gorgeous)

Dun Laoghaire West Pier

Along the banks of the Dodder from Ballsbridge all the way up to Rathfarnham (you can probably go further but that's as far as I've got so far!)

Killiney Hilll Park, esp on a winter's morning

Walking by the sea wins hands down for me, any beach anywhere will do.

Outside of Dublin, Glenveagh National Park and Ards Forest Park in North Donegal are fabulous, good for the soul.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 79 ✭✭aongo

I live in Strandhill, Co. Sligo; lots and lots of lovely walks
    https://sligowalks.ie/ has all the details; coastal, mountain hikes, lakes, rivers, the works!

My wife is from Clonmel, lots of lovely mountain walks there too; Sliabh na mBan, Comeraghs, Nire Valley etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

If you mean a short walk you can do in the evening or when you have a few hours or such, then you really cannot beat the lovely coastal route from glen beach car park to limekiln bay at Wicklow town.

I live in Glenealy so i'm surrounded by forests which gives me loads of options for late evening quiet walks in the woods before bed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Great South Wall in Dublin is probably my favourite. If you go from Strand Road out through the nature reserve and all along the pier it's a 6-mile round trip.

The banks of the Liffey from the War Memorial Park up to Chapelizod (and indeed the WM Park itself is gorgeous)

Dun Laoghaire West Pier

Along the banks of the Dodder from Ballsbridge all the way up to Rathfarnham (you can probably go further but that's as far as I've got so far!)

Killiney Hilll Park, esp on a winter's morning

Walking by the sea wins hands down for me, any beach anywhere will do.

Outside of Dublin, Glenveagh National Park and Ards Forest Park in North Donegal are fabulous, good for the soul.

Ards Forest Park heaen on earth :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Djouce mountain Frome Crone wood was recommended on here a few years ago and I've done it a few times since. There are lovely views of Powerscourt Waterfall from above it.

If it's just a quick walk at the weekend I'd generally do Montpellier Hill.

Sutton to Howth cliff walk is another one I'd do frequently during the summer months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement