Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

When/why did SF become so pro EU ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,174 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Odhinn wrote: »
    Or the difference between "back then" and "now". It's a bit Father Dougal, really.
    maccored wrote: »
    SF have always been pro-EU

I asked for someone to show me where Sinn Fein have supported an ever closer political union. I am still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,832 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

blanch152 wrote: »
    I asked for someone to show me where Sinn Fein have supported an ever closer political union. I am still waiting.

WHO claimed that they have?

Will this allow you to say sensatinally that they are 'RABIDLY' anti closer union? :):):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Batty Boy wrote: »
    I remember not long ago, SF were against every EU project/treaty/law/Euro currency, Nowadays their elected representatives are as europhile as FG, using expressions like "Ireland at the heart of Europe"

When they found out there is a LOT of money available in Brussels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Sinn Fein opposed joining the EU and have campaigned for a "No" vote in every EU referendum since 1972, frequently using lies and misinformation to scare people into voting the way they want. Anyone recall their "crushing family farms" poster campaign? They even shared a platform with Nigel Farage when it suited them -- and yet we're now expected to believe that they're "pro-EU." What utter nonsense.

Sinn Fein opposed joining the EU and have campaigned for a "No" vote in every EU referendum since 1972, frequently using lies and misinformation to scare people into voting the way they want. Anyone recall their "crushing family farms" poster campaign? They even shared a platform with Nigel Farage when it suited them -- and yet we're now expected to believe that they're "pro-EU." What utter nonsense.

If it's utter nonsense then show us were they have advocated leaving it. Bound to be a link or phrase somewhere.

Not holding my breath.

• Advertisement

Next thing is we will be told that they never supported the IRA.

If it's utter nonsense then show us were they have advocated leaving it.

If they're so pro-EU, show us where they ever advocated joining it.

If they're so pro-EU, show us where they ever advocated joining it.

They didn't and didnt hide the fact.
    They are not hiding their position on it now either if you'd look a bit further than the Indo.

From the "pro-EU" Sinn Fein, which has consistently spread lies and misinformation about every single European treaty the people have ever voted on.

sflisbon3.jpg?w=584

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

A couple of posts ago you said SF had "joined forces" with Nigel Farage,now that's been dialled down to "sharing a platform"?

Your catching yourself out with your own lies and misinformation and have made an amazing ten minute u turn in two posts while criticising others for u turns.

• Advertisement

And here's another gem from the "pro-EU" Sinn Fein:

sflisbon1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Batty Boy wrote: »
    I remember not long ago, SF were against every EU project/treaty/law/Euro currency, Nowadays their elected representatives are as europhile as FG, using expressions like "Ireland at the heart of Europe"

Well it's clear to see why. To be Irish is to be European. To be British isn't. Therefore by SF logic to not be European is to be British.

Well it's clear to see why. To be Irish is to be European. To be British isn't. Therefore by SF logic to not be European is to be British.

So because they opposed the EMU they are like the British or 'shared a platform' with them? ðŸ˜

Serious question: 'What would a consistent position be with regards to treaties proposing closer integration be for a party that opposes 'closer integration'?

Btw, I don't support their opinion on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

To hazard a guess... I would say that Sinn Fein know that Ireland needs close economic partners to retain prosperity. The Irish economy was so reliant on the British economy and if we were to ever leave the EU, it would mean becoming over-reliant on the UK again. The EU is what allowed Ireland to somewhat drift away from the UK policy wise.

Serious question: 'What would a consistent position be with regards to treaties proposing closer integration be for a party that opposes 'closer integration'?

If this closer integration means further deviation from the UK then I would suspect a U turn on that parties policy.

The more we deviate from the UK in the long term its more likely NI will have to adopt some EU laws or deviate from the UK in some way its inevitable.

tipptom wrote: »
    A couple of posts ago you said SF had "joined forces" with Nigel Farage,now that's been dialled down to "sharing a platform"?

Semantic games? Or maybe you just find images like these an embarrassment?

Mary Lou McDonald and Nigel Farage join forces (or "share a platform," if you will) to oppose an EU treaty in 2012.

image.jpg

If this closer integration means further deviation from the UK then I would suspect a U turn on that parties policy.

The more we deviate from the UK in the long term its more likely NI will have to adopt some EU laws or deviate from the UK in some way its inevitable.

Maybe they will.
    I think Brexit has been an eyeopener for everyone.
    FG's decision to finally represent all the Irish of the island may mean SF can go into government with them now.

Who knows how parties will evolve...because 'evolve' they all have and will continue to do.

Maybe they will.
    I think Brexit has been an eyeopener for everyone.
    FG's decision to finally represent all the Irish of the island may mean SF can go into government with them now.

Who knows how parties will evolve...because 'evolve' they all have and will continue to do.

Its never been up to SF whether or not they obtain a coalition agreement.

Its never been up to SF whether or not they obtain a coalition agreement.

They've been asked about it often enough.

As I have said, Brexit has changed the entire political landscape here as well. Who knows what way parties will now shift position. It has seen FG leaders openly discussing the possibilities of a UI for instance and committee work on the shape and look of a UI has been undertaken,

We live in interesting times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

maccored wrote: »
    hows it false? Have they stated they dont what to be in the EU? Where and when?
    I think advocating against joining the EU is stating they didn't want to be in it.

You have a strange definition of "always". 40 years ago counts as always btw, your little disclaimer makes no sense.

It's convenient for them now because of the Brits, but considering they're always (and I use that correctly) against absolutely every treaty, you'll forgive me if I don't believe that their newfound love for the EU is in any way genuine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

I think advocating against joining the EU is stating they didn't want to be in it.

You have a strange definition of "always". 40 years ago counts as always btw, your little disclaimer makes no sense.

It's convenient for them now because of the Brits, but considering they're always (and I use that correctly) against absolutely every treaty, you'll forgive me if I don't believe that their newfound love for the EU is in any way genuine.

In the 1970s. Jaysus catch a grip there. Desperate barrel scraping going on. The ‘now’ you talk of is at least 20 years old at this stage. Bit late noticing now

Just checking...but what do you define as 'new found'? SF were happy to be in the EU when the GFA was signed in 1998 and I posted a link to Mary Lou 'wanting to be at the heart of Europe' in 2005.
    FG and FF were virulently against gay rights and women's rights in the 70's and 80's...is their change 'new found' too?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Just checking...but what do you define as 'new found'? SF were happy to be in the EU when the GFA was signed in 1998 and I posted a link to Mary Lou 'wanting to be at the heart of Europe' in 2005.
    FG and FF were virulently against gay rights and women's rights in the 70's and 80's...is their change 'new found' too?

Plus, anyone who thinks sf of the 70s bears any resemblance to sf after the mid 80s (and certainly since the late 90s) clearly havent a notion

So because they opposed the EMU they are like the British or 'shared a platform' with them? ðŸ˜

Btw, I don't support their opinion on this.

https://irishelectionliterature.com/2010/01/27/pat-doherty-dermot-guy-caoimhghin-o-caolain-sinn-fein-1989-european-elections-connaughtulster/

"SF wants a negotiated withdrawal from the EC while keeping close economic and trading links"

Couldn't have been said better than Boris.

blanch152 wrote: »
    https://irishelectionliterature.com/2010/01/27/pat-doherty-dermot-guy-caoimhghin-o-caolain-sinn-fein-1989-european-elections-connaughtulster/

"SF wants a negotiated withdrawal from the EC while keeping close economic and trading links"

Couldn't have been said better than Boris.

Why do you insist on telling me something I already know and accepted and posted links where others have said it (in a less ranty and more intelligent way?)

ALL parties evolve their policy positions, that is a given, I can demonstrate that to you about any party on this island. People also evolve their positions. But do I really need to demonstrate it?

The OP stated that 'nowadays' SF talk about 'being at the heart of Europe' which has been their position since 2005 at least (link to that posted too) but are not as the OP stated 'as Europhile as FG' as I also linked to Matt Carthy stating openly and transparently what their current postion is.

If you want to keep harking back to 30 years ago, do so. But it is just a conspiracy fed rant tbh. Knock thyself out on that one.

If it's utter nonsense then show us were they have advocated leaving it. Bound to be a link or phrase somewhere.

Not holding my breath.

Per the election leaflet posted above by blanch152, they were calling for a "negotiated withdrawal from the EC" in 1989. An "Irexit," if you will.

Just imagine what would have happened if Ireland had followed Sinn Fein's advice 30 years ago and left the EC.

Now, Sinn Fein and its supporters are attempting some kind of Orwellian historical revisionism along the lines of "We have never been at war with Eastasia," pretending that SF have been pro-EU all along.

This is despite the historical record showing that SF opposed accession in 1972, refused to participate in European elections until 1984, were calling for Ireland to leave the EC as late as 1989, and have opposed every single European treaty to date, happily sharing a platform with Farage to campaign for a "No" vote in 2012.

If it were up to Sinn Fein, Ireland would never have joined the EU, would never have ratified a single European treaty, and would still be an isolated, economically stagnant backwater on the fringes of Europe, probably with the Troubles still going on.

Gerry was never in the IRA.
    Sinn Fein were never anti-EU.

It's amazing that there are people who actually believe the cult-like brainwashing that SF try to engage in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's amazing that there are people who actually believe the cult-like brainwashing that SF try to engage in.

It's also amazing the amount of non-SF voters willing to spend hours of their spare time defending every SF policy position on social media.

Per the election leaflet posted above by blanch152, they were calling for a "negotiated withdrawal from the EC" in 1989. An "Irexit," if you will.

Just imagine what would have happened if Ireland had followed Sinn Fein's advice 30 years ago and left the EC.

Now, Sinn Fein and its supporters are attempting some kind of Orwellian historical revisionism along the lines of "We have never been at war with Eastasia," pretending that SF have been pro-EU all along.

This is despite the historical record showing that SF opposed accession in 1972, refused to participate in European elections until 1984, were calling for Ireland to leave the EC as late as 1989, and have opposed every single European treaty to date, happily sharing a platform with Farage to campaign for a "No" vote in 2012.

If it were up to Sinn Fein, Ireland would never have joined the EU, would never have ratified a single European treaty, and would still be an isolated, economically stagnant backwater on the fringes of Europe, probably with the Troubles still going on.

Gerry was never in the IRA.
    Sinn Fein were never anti-EU.

If you can show me where I said at any point that SF were never 'anti EU', knock yourself out too.

Otherwise try and deal with the actual points I am making?

It's also amazing the amount of non-SF voters willing to spend hours of their spare time defending every SF policy position on social media.

The party even recruits people to become Sinn Féin Online Supporters (aka Shinnerbots) and devote their time to promoting/defending Sinn Féin online.

It's an organized operation across social media.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

I was a member of SF for years. SF used to be wholly anti-EU, then would have been what’s called ‘Eurosceptic’ in the sense they thought that the EU eroded sovereignty and was integral to neo-liberal capitalism and now they seem to have become a lot more pro-EU.

It has been a gradual shift in their politics as the party has gravitated more and more toward the centre ground, which is natural enough. They also used to think that “it would be the cutting edge of the IRA that would remove British imperialism from Ireland” and now they support the GFA and a six-county border poll.

The situation politically has changed and so has their politics.

(The EU is a big pile of sh*te though)

Advertisement