Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Birth Cert

• 06-10-2019 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

This is my first post here but when encountered with a strange birth cert, this forum was my first thought for help.

I am here with my cousin and we have just discovered that his father was born in the County Home, Manorhamilton in 1924.
    My cousin has a copy of his fathers birth cert which was issued in 1963.
    It lists his name, DOB, District of Registration and county, nothing else.
    No mothers name or fathers name. They weren't omitted there is no actual field for them.
    I have in all my years of genealogy never seen a birth cert like this. I wonder can anyone help?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

If there's no field for parents names then it isn't a birth certificate.

By definition, all Irish civil birth records will have fields for both mother and fathers names.

Can you post a copy of the image (with names omitted if necessary)?

Genealogy Forum Mod

On second thoughts, I wonder is it a short form birth cert?

I've just checked one I have and as you describe, they don't have fields for parents names.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Manuseo

Hermy wrote: »
    On second thoughts, I wonder is it a short form birth cert?

I've just checked one I have and as you describe, they don't have fields for parents names.
    Thank you, Hermy!
    I was about to send you the image but that makes sense. He'll have to order a full certificate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭webpal

Hermy wrote: »
    If there's no field for parents names then it isn't a birth certificate.

By definition, all Irish civil birth records will have fields for both mother and fathers names.

Can you post a copy of the image (with names omitted if necessary)?

All birth certs? What if parent(s) wants to remain anonymous? How do you get a "full" birth cert?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

webpal wrote: »
    All birth certs? What if parent(s) wants to remain anonymous? How do you get a "full" birth cert?

Link in the post above. There is no right to anonymity in public records.

Plenty of certs have no rather mentioned at all but that's due to non supply of the name

All civil records of births, marriages and deaths in Ireland are public record and as such are open to inspection by any member of the public.

I'm not sure that remaining anonymous is an option when it comes to the recording of life events - unless your child is adopted.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

And indeed they did away with the short form birth cert.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

pinkypinky wrote: »
    And indeed they did away with the short form birth cert.

We used them years ago (when applying for jobs etc), because they were cheaper than the long cert. When did they stop?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,613 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Not sure - suspect the 90s.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
Advertisement