Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hiking boots recommendation

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Masala wrote: »
    I seen stuff in Sports Direct shops at €50++ range. They do Gelert stuff

I see Paco outlets doing HiTec boots around that price. A lot of Trespass boots knocking about in local shoe shops etc.

So plenty of choice....

Cheers! Seen a regatta pair for 50ish on Amazon. Would they be decent?

Also is there anything to look out for in terms of grip/waterproof or are they all similar enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Cheers! Seen a regatta pair for 50ish on Amazon. Would they be decent?

Also is there anything to look out for in terms of grip/waterproof or are they all similar enough.

To be honest.... I wouldn't know the specs of same but if u only wearing them casual / to local pitch to watch a match/ up a local trail path / etc I would say no problem.

I have a pair of €220 Meindl boots but find them heavy as casual wear so I bought a pair of trail shoes for casual walking and short trails etc. I bought a pair of Zamberland shoes for €100 in local outdoor shop which are really comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Weltsmertz

Regatta, Trespass and Hi Tech are not decent.
    They are cheap for a reason and won't stay waterproof for long which is essential in the Irish hills. Comparable quality to the €25 Aldi/Lidl boots.

But if you only want them for walking around the neighborhood than a pair of trail shoes rather than boots are the better option

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Weltsmertz wrote: »
    Regatta, Trespass and Hi Tech are not decent.
    They are cheap for a reason and won't stay waterproof for long which is essential in the Irish hills. Comparable quality to the €25 Aldi/Lidl boots.

But if you only want them for walking around the neighborhood than a pair of trail shoes rather than boots are the better option

But for 3/4 hikes a year like Craogh Patrick etc, they should be fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Would anyone have any recommendations for a cheap pair around 50 euro? Don't do a lot of hiking but would be nice to get a useful pair.

Hi-Tec are grand for a fine day walker.
    I also find Regatta Holcombe Low are good for everyday use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

But for 3/4 hikes a year like Craogh Patrick etc, they should be fine?

Absolutely yes they are fine; better at times than some dearer brands. Hi Tec products tend to get a lot of good write ups from reviewers so it's not like you are buying a pup here.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ebayissues

Can anyone recoomend me good winter boots maybe not specifically for hiking?

I'm heading to moscow and then oslo. It would help if I could use it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

These Timberlands would be perfect for the job. Team them with a marino Bridgedale sock and you would be set for anything thrown at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭derra

I got a pair of Meindl Peru boots recently. As much as they are a great fit and keep my feet dry, they are incredibly slippy.
    At first i was hoping after a while it wouldn't be a bother with a bit of wear and tear, but yesterday i nearly broke my neck in them on the Spinc boardwalk. On wet surfaces they are treacherous.

If anyone knows of a good spray or something that can be done then let me know.

Be sure to ask about the grips when buying, it wasn't something i considered as it was my first pair of boots like this and was just concerned about right fit and waterproofing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 442 ✭✭freak scence

derra wrote: »
    I got a pair of Meindl Peru boots recently. As much as they are a great fit and keep my feet dry, they are incredibly slippy.
    At first i was hoping after a while it wouldn't be a bother with a bit of wear and tear, but yesterday i nearly broke my neck in them on the Spinc boardwalk. On wet surfaces they are treacherous.

If anyone knows of a good spray or something that can be done then let me know.

Be sure to ask about the grips when buying, it wasn't something i considered as it was my first pair of boots like this and was just concerned about right fit and waterproofing.

Meindl have gone to **** surprised great outdoors and 53 still stock them , far better boots out there not made in china

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 Antoninus

I'd previously used Berghaus, so bought a pair Baltra Trek goretex boots late summer 2020. They had already lost water resistance by this summer. I'm looking for new boots and prefer the fabric types because I know I'll lapse when it comes to waxing and maintaining leather ones. I'm considering the Salomon Quest 4D 3 GTX, but I question if they'll be sufficiently water resistant for traipsing across the Bluestacks and the Sperrins. If anyone has any non-leather suggestions that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I had problems with sole separation on work boots. The manufacturer told me that they had to change the adhesive due to environmental regulations. I have since found out that this is why there are so many reports, of previously good brands, failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭HazeDoll

I wear a 4.5 or 5 and I have been wearing Meindl for years. Very comfy, great weatherproofing, and take a lot of punishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

I bought these boots in the summer of 2021, only did about 3 serious hikes, rest of the time was walking the dog up the side of a hill every day, about a 45 minute walk, sole now coming away, they were very comfortable, never let in a drop in a drop of water, but gutted in how quickly they gave out,

Anyone have any recommendations? Mate has a pair of asolo boots which he seems happy with but I've seen some reviews of those giving out pretty quick as well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Depending on how bad they are a good cobbler might be able to patch them.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,772 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'd have said over 18 months of daily cross-country wear was ok going for a pair of boots!

The boots I have I've had for years, but they're not daily wear - if they were I'd fully expect them to be falling apart.

As someone else said above, if the uppers are still good, see if they can be re-soled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fudge82

Another important factor regardless of which brand you buy which is relevant for use in the wet Irish climate is to try to get a model with the least amount of stitching. Many good pairs will be designed for use with much dryer climates in mind. In Ireland with our boggy mountains every hole in the leather is a possible way through for water to pass through to clog up the internal breathable liner (if there is one) or worse a path straight to the inside of the boot. The less stitching the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭johnytwentyten

Ok thanks, was thinking about this, constantly walking through bog where I am, not much in the way of dusty trails

Advertisement