Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE Investigates programme on greyhound racing industry

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Pigs running them companies, should have a bullet in their own head.
    Dept of Agriculture should shut them down, end of. Sound like a bunch of people with the IQ of a potatoe!!

I'm disgusted and angry at them dirty fkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thread moved from AH > CA and merged with existing thread on same topic.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

The Chinese actually boiled a greyhound alive in a big cooking pot. Utterly horrific.

dudara wrote: »
    Thread moved from AH > CA and merged with existing thread on same topic.

dudara

Thanks for getting on by board- please also register your disgust with Dept. of Agriculture.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/custo...ce/complaints/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Couldn't and wouldn't watch. There is a special place in hell for anyone who hurts animals dogs in particular.

Your man that was estimated to have killed 10000 dogs and buried them in mass graves on his land got a few hundred pounds fine. My god.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

But they are bred for that purpose, wouldn’t have had a chance of life without it. But they wouldn’t be here if we didn’t do this. But they are used for food. But they had good lives before they where killed. But they didn’t feel anything when they where shot. But it’s legal so it can’t be that bad. But they aren’t as smart or don’t have emotions like us. All common arguments made by people in after hours arguing against veganism, said by people who still use and eat animals. Hypocrisy is sad!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

I feel sick after watching the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I've tears in my eyes and ball of anger in my stomach now.

That last scene and the some of those scenes from China boiling the poor greyhounds alive, barbaric sh!t

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

very sad, and this needs to be stopped.
    - while I can't know too much about the Irish tradition on this (I would never go to dog races neither), I assume the government could introduce/enforce extremely harsh penalties for ppl who are treating cruel these beautiful animals.
    anyone knows if there is any public petition going on ?

Thanks for getting on by board- please also register your disgust with Dept. of Agriculture.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/customerservice/complaints/

That link is to “quality services “ and “appeals” .....I’m not sure if that’s the correct place to log complaints about the greyhound business in Ireland? The emails could all get dumped rather than redirected?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

The Chinese actually boiled a greyhound alive in a big cooking pot. Utterly horrific.

what else do you expect from a country that uses "Rhino Horn" as a aphrodisiac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

But they are bred for that purpose, wouldn’t have had a chance of life without it. But they wouldn’t be here if we didn’t do this. But they are used for food. But they had good lives before they where killed. But they didn’t feel anything when they where shot. But it’s legal so it can’t be that bad. But they aren’t as smart or don’t have emotions like us. All common arguments made by people in after hours arguing against veganism, said by people who still use and eat animals. Hypocrisy is sad!

Yeah boiling an animal alive is the same as humanely killing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

It takes a special kind of psychopath to sit in your car, engine running waiting for your €10 collar while in your wing mirror your dog is still shaking on the ground after being shot In the head.

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Yeah boiling an animal alive is the same as humanely killing them.

I think the original post by “pheasant tail” was being ironic ? I think we’re all on the same page here .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

peasant wrote: »
    Horse racing ain't much different, just more prestigious

This.

I'm always very uneasy about the lining the pockets of wealthy horse owners and bookmakers with 2 racing industries subsidised with tax payers money. While there are some (relatively low paid) jobs for stable hands and the likes, the whols thing is propped up with grants and drives a huge gambling industry..... for instance, in what other sport is the betting odds constantly referred to on the main news broadcasts?

It's plain wrong from a human point of view first and foremost, without ever looking at the obvious animal welfare issues. Should be left behind, along with elephants and lions in the circus

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

That was a hard watch, the entire industry is corrupt to fcuk and all funded by the Dept of Agriculture in the name of 'sport'

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭technocrat

A truly horrific watch!
    I would love to see a movement grow that involves peaceful protests outside the main dog tracks in the country to highlight the disgusting treatment of these poor animals.
    It might finally force the IGB to take action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I went to the dogs for the first time for a communion party last month. Everyone was like “Oh, it’s such craic, you’ll love it!”. It was hugely boring and all I could think about was the welfare of the dogs. Rightfully as it turns out. The fretting fed into my non-enjoyment, to be honest. I just couldn’t.

Greyhounds are dotes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,859 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Do not support this industry.

Do not attend any fundraisers / hen parties/ office parties that promote a night at the dogs.

Speak out.

Our office suggested it as a night out - about 10 ppl had a very strong objection...that was the end of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭selectamatic

A very sad watch. Life is cheap in the greyhound world and this is the result.
    peasant wrote: »
    Horse racing ain't much different, just more prestigious

That's very disingenuous to say. The treatment of race horses and thoroughbreds is widely acknowledged as being top notch. Especially in this country.

There are also many outlets for horses who may not be of grade 1,2 or 3 competing quality. Be it handicap racing or indeed show jumping or other such ventures.

Greyhounds don't have this going for them with the result that they can move from being an asset to being viewed as a hindrance very quickly.

When you see abuse cases involving horses you'll generally find it's not the thoroughbreds or 3/4 breds being abused but rather the piebalds favoured by the more unsavoury characters.

• Advertisement

That link is to “quality services “ and “appeals” .....I’m not sure if that’s the correct place to log complaints about the greyhound business in Ireland? The emails could all get dumped rather than redirected?

If you or ye on this thread have a better one, do please post it . And Thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Yes, I would think the Customer Complaints avenue would be for poor service provided to customers of the Department in relation to how they have interacted with the Department.

It wouldn't be the correct route for major concerns in relation to policy or legislation - the best route for that is to write to your local TD and ask them to lobby the Department on your behalf and to raise the issue with every politician that knocks on your door. The threat of losing a seat is a great motivator for politicians.

I’m a little surprised that so many people are shocked by this program.

We have a truly abysmal record of animal welfare in this country and a population that actively see no evil, hear no evil supports it.

You only have to visit your local animal shelter to see the neglect, abandonment and cruelty that animals are subject to and yet we fancy ourselves as a nation of “animal lovers”.

Think about that the next time you arrange to meet someone in a Tesco car park to buy a “teacup Yorkie” from a litter in their boot. Or you attend your office party at the dogs.

This goes on because we, as a nation allow it to, we pay for it with our taxes and we support it with our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

And lets not forget the Fox hunts...they can match everything in that documentary, and then some!.

And also recipients of taxpayers money.

anewme wrote: »
    Do not support this industry.

Do not attend any fundraisers / hen parties/ office parties that promite a night st the dogs.

Speak out.

Our office suggested it as a night out - about 10 ppl had a very strong objection...that was the end of that.[/QUOTE]

Especially around the google area of D2 and D4

Worth raising with anyone on social committees in that area

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I’m a little surprised that so many people are shocked by this program.

We have a truly abysmal record of animal welfare in this country and a population that actively see no evil, hear no evil supports it.

You only have to visit your local animal shelter to see the neglect, abandonment and cruelty that animals are subject to and yet we fancy ourselves as a nation of “animal lovers”.

Think about that the next time you arrange to meet someone in a Tesco car park to buy a “teacup Yorkie” from a litter in their boot. Or you attend your office party at the dogs.

This goes on because we, as a nation allow it to, we pay for it with our taxes and we support it with our money.

Our regulations are better for animals bred for food than most of Europe, including other developed countries. There’s a lot of room for improvement but we do okay in that regard.

Our regulations are better for animals bred for food than most of Europe, including other developed countries. There’s a lot of room for improvement but we do okay in that regard.

And there’s only one reason for that: money.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

We have an appalling record on puppy farms and dog breeding. Think that's what previous poster was referring to

What happens them after export is not our concern though right?

• Advertisement

OK as in kill one in 3 Greyhounds born in Ireland?

That “OK” with you?

Shall we sit on our fcking hands and just let Europe pat ourselves on our back?

Like fck we will...

Advertisement