Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So Michael D IS running again!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

GarIT wrote: »
    If you received a letter on government headed paper from a foreign country asking you to let someone out of jail would you honestly think it was a personal letter sent from a citizen and not a request coming from government?

One would have to be a bit thick to just assume that it was coming from a member of the government.

Politicians make representations all the time and often for not very nice people. In the wake of the Norris affair wasn't it exposed that several members of the Oireachtas had made representations on behalf of murderers?

I agree he shouldn't have got involved but to call him a scumbag is rather a bit much.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭jelutong

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Very happy with the job he's doing, best of luck to him

Am I right in thinking that when in Government he lobbied for a separate licence fee to be levied on each individual radio,tv be it in a home,car etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

So when Michael D was campaigning for president and said it would be a one off term he was lying?
    Many voted for him because he was only going for one term and wasn't trying to hog the job for 14 years.

I am open to correction,but I think he may have said seven years ago that he would be seventy seven years old next time and it depended on his health.His health appears to be still very good and is probably a factor in his decision to seek a second term.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,780 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

jelutong wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that when in Government he lobbied for a separate licence fee to be levied on each individual radio,tv be it in a home,car etc?

havent a clue to be honest, maybe another boards member can clarify this to both of us?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I'd vote him in for four terms if I could.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

I see Sean Gallagher is throwing his hat in the ring again.

Yikes !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

raymon wrote: »

Yikes !!!!!

Somebody has to lose...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I am open to correction,but I think he may have said seven years ago that he would be seventy seven years old next time and it depended on his health.His health appears to be still very good and is probably a factor in his decision to seek a second term.

I don't know what he said about his health 7 years ago. I do know that 7 years ago he said he would only take the job for one 7 year term. I also know that this was put out there as one of his selling points. I also now know that he is just another cute hoor.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,464 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

raymon wrote: »

Yikes !!!!!

Will he actually be running for FF this time :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Will he actually be running for FF this time :rolleyes:

No-one will be running for FF.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I would vote for Higgins again. But 14 years is too long really for anyone. We should limit it to 7 and be done with one stint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

No-one will be running for FF.

I think they backed Michael D.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,336 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think they backed Michael D.

He is running as an independent - so not for FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

bobbyss wrote: »
    I would vote for Higgins again. But 14 years is too long really for anyone. We should limit it to 7 and be done with one stint.

I'd go for 4 year term length, max two terms and sync it up with the local elections to have one less election.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That'd be a 5 year term. Would need a VP system to handle deaths or retirements

• Registered Users Posts: 15,279 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

He did an ok job nothing amazing.

In my opinion he’s too old now to think about another 7 years.

So i am glad there will be an election now to remove him hopefully and he can retire with some honour.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

So i am glad there will be an election now to remove him hopefully and he can retire with some honour.

I would agree that he could retire with honour if he wanted to.

But there is not going to be an election to remove him, he will win by more than he did last time. The only reason for an election is so SF can put up SF posters and Gallagher can be humiliated again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

So when Michael D was campaigning for president and said it would be a one off term he was lying?

Lying is an intentional act, a deliberate intent to deceive. I don't believe Michael D lied when he said he woould be a one term president. I believe he thought that at the time, but he has now changed his mind. I wouldn't accuse him of lying, which is a fairly serious accusation to level against anyone.
    Many voted for him because he was only going for one term and wasn't trying to hog the job for 14 years.

I can only speak for myself, but I voted him because he is an experienced politician who knows how our government works, because he is cultured, speaks Irish fluently, conducts himself with dignity and because I felt he would be a good representative for Ireland on the world stage.

Right now, I would vote for him again as none of the potential candidates to date would outdo him on the criteria that I've listed above.

I would agree that he could retire with honour if he wanted to.

But there is not going to be an election to remove him, he will win by more than he did last time. The only reason for an election is so SF can put up SF posters and Gallagher can be humiliated again.

Wouldn’t be so sure. Lot of ppl are sick of the sight and sound of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭bobbyss

GarIT wrote:
    I'd go for 4 year term length, max two terms and sync it up with the local elections to have one less election.

That sounds reasonable. Perhaps have a look at his salary too. Does he earn more than President of USA? Maybe look at salary of all Oireschteas members and those expenses.

• Advertisement

Wouldn’t be so sure. Lot of ppl are sick of the sight and sound of him.

Lots of people are still laughing from last time at the idea that Sean Gallagher, FF brown envelope handler, thinks he is presidential material.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,468 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m delighted to hear he’s running again and I’ll vote for him again too.

Yes he said he would only do one term but everyone is entitled to change their mind and it’s really petty of people to say he lied about doing one term, I’ve no doubt at the time that’s what he felt and believed. It would be a sad thing if we called everyone who changed their mind an outright liar.

He’s a figurehead for our country and as that he’s well educated, well spoken and seems to get on well with everyone he meets.

I just wish he would dress a bit better, often his clothes look ill fitting, isn’t it great that after a term in office that’s my biggest gripe.

Lots of people are still laughing from last time at the idea that Sean Gallagher, FF brown envelope handler, thinks he is presidential material.

Probably won’t vote for SG but he must fancy his chances against MDH this time out.

MDH is too old and has been repeating himself for years at this stage. And has gone back on his promise to be a 1 term president.

Ppl want change at this stage.

Ppl want change at this stage.

Yes, but probably not change to a boom-era FF bag man.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Many comments in here in and around mould of 'lot of people...' or 'many folks voted...', etc etc - without backing up with any hard evidence beyond the contributors' own obvious bias: has there actually been any polls or stats compiled about this election - or indeed were there any about how the public voted in 2011?

Think the decision to re-run is based off an old man originally weighing up the realities of his age, versus now realising that he's still feeling sound. IMO it's being blown way out of proportion by people who might otherwise have an axe to grind, or political chip on their shoulder about some magical theory of what the President should be doing.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Many comments in here in and around mould of 'lot of people...' or 'many folks voted...', etc etc - without backing up with any hard evidence beyond the contributors' own obvious bias: has there actually been any polls or stats compiled about this election - or indeed were there any about how the public voted in 2011?

So you reckon polls & stats is the way to go?
    Maybe you should check with Paddy Power who paid out on Hillary winning the election and also paid out on Brexit being defeated before the actual results came in , and ask them what they think of polls & stats. BTW just because your opinion is only equal in value to mine doesn't entitle you to refer to mine as 'the contributors own obvious bias'.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Maybe you should check with Paddy Power who paid out on Hillary winning the election and also paid out on Brexit being defeated before the actual results came in , and ask them what they think of polls & stats. BTW just because your opinion is only equal in value to mine doesn't entitle you to refer to mine as 'the contributors own obvious bias'.

Everyone has a bias, that's what shapes opinions; doubly so when it comes to politics, where affiliations and political leanings skew viewpoints. That's inescapable and hardly a particularly extreme point of view.

I'm asking because there's no data, and it's a valuable piece of info to know in the face of a possible election. Only one I can think of from 2011 was Sean Gallagher's broad lead in polls before his 'brown envelope' remark. Not sure what Hillary has to do with anything; one swallow doesn't mean a summer. It also tends to be the actual format of debate here: being challenged to back up a claim is fair game.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

God, no. Uninformed opinion has replaced all that old discredited "statistics", and "mathematics". It's about time we stopped listening to those dumb-ass "experts" and "scientists", and started relying on the infallible wisdom of the randomer on the bar stool.

It's gas the way you mods all gather round to support one another and high five:D BTW I've heard of a 'flock of geese' or a 'herd of cattle', what's a bunch of Mods called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Miggledy should/will win. But I do recognise there is an element of change needed. The problem is that with FF & FG backing him officially, and SF possibly nominating their own, it leave the likely contenders to be 1 independent (if they can get the votes from TDs/senators - I did read somewhre that there is talk of an informal primary between the likes of Craughwell/Ó Céidigh/etc to get 1 nomination), 1 SF and MDH. He'll romp home with that sort of competition.

It is important there is a vote though, if you turned 18 just after the last presidential election and we don't have one now the first time you get to vote for president is when you are 31. Which is a bit mad...

Advertisement