Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Witcher 3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

new gameplay

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,985 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

That's looks brilliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Really looking forward to this. <3 CD Projekt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Wait until you finish first one. Keep attention to stuff, it will leave you with "my mind is blown". I actually went googling about the ending.

Witcher 2 is fantastic too. Real definition of " you make your own decisions".
    Something stayed with me that Triss said - "Alvin could've travelled anywhere through space or time."

Then he appears in the final Ice level but otherwise we don't hear from him again.

The grand master is found with an aged version of the amulet he was given - I also don't remember if we saw him before he turns up in the swamps.

There's obviously some shenanigans going on here and presumably the obvious conclusion is that the Grand Master is Alvin but I'm not really sure why or what that means. Did the way you "raise" him effect the Grand Master's behaviour later?

I've only played it through once so I'm not sure how much the story can change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I actually thought the Witcher 2 was really really really short.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I actually thought the Witcher 2 was really really really short.

I thought it was a good length for a non-open world game like this. All though it feels short after the first game.

I'm definitely looking forward to the open world aspect of Wild Hunt though. It'll be nice having quests in more varied locales

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Steviemoyne

Gbear wrote: »
    There's obviously some shenanigans going on here and presumably the obvious conclusion is that the Grand Master is Alvin but I'm not really sure why or what that means. Did the way you "raise" him effect the Grand Master's behaviour later?
    It would seem that way, the grandmaster has different dialogue depending on different things you tell Alvin earlier in the story. Some "light" reading: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Alvin#Speculation_about_Alvin

• Registered Users Posts: 8,890 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

35 min demo

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Something stayed with me that Triss said - "Alvin could've travelled anywhere through space or time."

Then he appears in the final Ice level but otherwise we don't hear from him again.

The grand master is found with an aged version of the amulet he was given - I also don't remember if we saw him before he turns up in the swamps.

I've only played it through once so I'm not sure how much the story can change.
    Thats the thing, the whole game just drips and drops with Alvin and Grand Master lore, but it never goes "THIS IS WHATS HAPPENING"
    As Steviemoyne said, your actions do influence Grand Master actions and Dialogue.
    I really damn love Witcher 1. :) Really felt that you actually part of the story and you are not spoon fed information. Alvin and Grand Master thing was Briliant

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Sarky wrote: »
    It's looking like what Skyrim would be like if it had better combat and characters that weren't insufferably boring.

"Skyrim if Skyrim were good."

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That looks absolutely brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,140 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

"Skyrim if Skyrim were good."

Ah Skyrim was good. The next ES game needs to be on a new engine though, that should improve the combat.

On topic: this looks amazing, but id say ill have to upgrade my PC to play it at decent settings. My rig struggled with 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Just finished reading The Last Wish and I'm wondering if reading Blood of Elves is going to spoil The Witcher 3 storyline or not. Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Just finished reading The Last Wish and I'm wondering if reading Blood of Elves is going to spoil The Witcher 3 storyline or not. Anyone have any ideas?

No it shouldn't, the first witcher game is set around 5 years after the end of the last book.

This is the chronological order of the books

The Last Wish
    The Sword Of Destiny
    Blood Of Elves
    Time Of Contempt
    Baptism Of Fire
    Tower Of The Swallow
    Lady Of The Lake

http://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher_2/fan_translation_of_the_witcher_stories_and_novels/page1

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/16494-Our-Community-Fan-Translations

I've read them all using the above links for fan's translations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Pre-ordered this. Looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

How do you reckon it's going to look on PS4? Might just wait until I can build a PC to play it on..

It won't look at good as on a top of the range pc, but it will still look pretty great. Witcher 2 looks good on the old consoles (from what i remember).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

jc4517 wrote: »
    How do you reckon it's going to look on PS4? Might just wait until I can build a PC to play it on..

As a PC gamer, I am really confident that PS4 version will be very good. CD Project Red will pull it off!

Consoles are reacting pretty badly so far, they have it running which is good at least and they expect it to run well on consoles by release...even if that means sacrificing a bit of quality in favor of performance which isn't a bad thing at all.

They expected it not to run at all because there are so many independent objects like the below link says.

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/08/22/the-witcher-3-may-not-be-1080p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jc4517

As a PC gamer, I am really confident that PS4 version will be very good. CD Project Red will pull it off!

I have a lot of faith in CDPR, they seem like the kind of guys who would never sell out by doing **** like console exclusives and that sort'o carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Just finished Witcher 2 there.

A little bit bummed by the gameplay to be honest. Everything else apart from the combat was brilliant but I just found the combat itself completely tedious.
    I started off with the vanilla version and then installed the combat rebalance. Neither were up to much. Buggy, unintuitive, grindy and wildly inconsistent in difficulty.

Eventually I turned it down to easy to get through it. It definitely diminished my enthusiasm for W3.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Can be got here pre-order for €20.56 on PC

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Just finished Witcher 2 there.

A little bit bummed by the gameplay to be honest. Everything else apart from the combat was brilliant but I just found the combat itself completely tedious.
    I started off with the vanilla version and then installed the combat rebalance. Neither were up to much. Buggy, unintuitive, grindy and wildly inconsistent in difficulty.

Eventually I turned it down to easy to get through it. It definitely diminished my enthusiasm for W3.

Agreed but don't let that dampen your desire for W3. They have changed the combat quite a bit. I'm confident it will be much better.

Game of the year - 2015

I've a lot of faith in CD Projekt Red, and it looks bloody amazing.

Kirby wrote: »
    Agreed but don't let that dampen your desire for W3. They have changed the combat quite a bit. I'm confident it will be much better.

Late to the party with this but there's also a semi-official mod that overhauls the combat for TW2: http://redkit.cdprojektred.com/index.php?c=mod&m=show&p=77

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I quite liked the combat in 2. Didn't find it a slog apart from the occasional troll or boss fight.

Games intro has been released. Sure enough, it's pretty awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,300 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

looks like Yennefer finally makes an appearance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

So obviously it will detect your save game from W2 too, right? I'm wondering will W1 save matter at all?

Advertisement