Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Contaminated water supply?

Options
  • 23-10-2019 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Went to coffee shop this morning and they weren't serving because of the contaminated water supply so I went to the shop down the street and they were serving. After googling this I found that espresso machines do not boil the water enough to kill micro organisms so does it look I'm in a bit of bother?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

I filled up my coffee machine this morning had 2 cups and then remembered ukk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

Another problem at the plant in Leakslip.

Boilsports offering odds on solution date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

boardise wrote: »
    Another problem at the plant in Leakslip.

Boilsports offering odds on solution date.

Feckin joke they are now

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭Silane

I think if water is kept at 70 degrees for 5 mins it's enough to kill all pathogens. First time around we had no coffee in work for two days. This time, we're being told it's safe because it's kept above 70. I'd rather have the coffee and take my chances with the dodgy water to be honest.

"The results of these investigations, which are summarized in Table 1, show that bacteria are particularly sensitive to heat, and rapid
    kills – less than 1 minute per log (90%) reduction – are achieved at temperatures above 65 °C. Viruses are inactivated at temperatures
    between 60 °C and 65 °C, but more slowly than bacteria. However, as shown for poliovirus and hepatitis A, as temperatures increase
    above 70 °C, a greater than 5 log inactivation (99.999% reduction) is achieved in less than 1 minute. Cryptosporidium parvum oocysts
    are inactivated in less than 1 minute once temperatures exceed 70 °C"

https://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/Boiling_water_01_15.pdf

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cryptosporidium is killed well below 100 celsius if held at that temperature for long enough - it isn't that there is just one temperature that instantly kills a bacteria, just a temperature at which you can be sure it will be dead by - and boiling is enough for nearly everything

I would be almost certain this has happened loads of times before without anyone noticing; or noticing and not notifying. The affected plant is very old, it can't properly handle water with higher amounts of suspended muck and its not like this is uniquely heavy rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if you want a proper water supply you have to pay for it..there's no two ways about it...people should have thought of that before protesting

the government should have held strong and stood down those SF & marxist anarchists

• Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭boardise

fryup wrote: »
    if you want a proper water supply you have to pay for it..there's no two ways about it...people should have thought of that before protesting

the government should have held strong and stood down those SF & marxist anarchists

The setting up of IW was maladroitly handled but at least the effort was made.
    The real culprits here yet again are the reprehensible crew known as Fianna Fail who went back on their commitments dating back to 1999/2000.
    I agree the government should have stood firm but FF showed no principle or courage in not backing them in the national interest.On such a key issue there has to be buy-in from the general public /individual citizen to encourage conservation .
    It's incredible to think that even a paltry payment of about 3.50 euro a week could not be agreed on. We must be the laughing stock of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The real culprits here yet again are the reprehensible crew known as Fianna Fail who went back on their commitments dating back to 1999/2000.
    I agree the government should have stood firm but FF showed no principle or courage in not backing them in the national interest.On such a key issue there has to be buy-in from the general public /individual citizen to encourage conservation .
    It's incredible to think that even a paltry payment of about 3.50 euro a week could not be agreed on. We must be the laughing stock of Europe.

It was FG who gutted the budget for Water Infrastructure and then sunk a billion plus into a company that was set up just to be a cash grab.

If that fúcking thing was allowed borrow on the open market (which was the plan remember) we all would be paying for it for generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The water coming from Leixlip is grand. Nothing wrong with it. The Government want you to think that there's something wrong with it so that they can reintroduce water charges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

You mean the general public? :)

Cop on. If they hadn't protested and it went to plan we'd be in the exact same situation. It was barely going to fund the admin side.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

To paraphrase a close dear friend of mine, middle Ireland wouldn't wear it and won't. We know a con when we see one, lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

ae5-AKMp-460swp.png

Advertisement