Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 242: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs Dustin Poirier [7 Sep, 19:00]

1121314151618»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    The Nal wrote: »
    A lot of McGregor fanboys are reluctant to acknowledge his greatness. However I do think he needs another couple of top 5 wins to cement that legacy. He hasn't really beaten a great (Ferguson) yet.
    Eh, Aldo?

Edit: ignore me being a derp and thinking of the wrong fighter

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cupp3r

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Eh, Aldo?

When did he fight Aldo?

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Ugh never mind, I thought he was on about McGregor when he mentioned his fanboys.

I need more coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Cupp3r wrote: »
    When did he fight Aldo?

I guess you missed that fight?

I think Tazzimus read your original post as McGregor needing more top 5 wins, rather than Khabib.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Khabib Nurmagomedov on Points
    Fall_Guy wrote: »
    Not as much as he could afford to pay for it himself! A nice gesture for sure, but when you have just made a few million for your nights work, you'd think he could have offered up a small percentage of his purse for the charity himself rather than a t-shirt that someone much less well-off than him will be shelling out for :D
    Looks like he kept the shirt but will sell the gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Cupp3r

Ugh never mind, I thought he was on about McGregor when he mentioned his fanboys.

I need more coffee.

I was like must of definitely been sleeping on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO
    eagle eye wrote: »
    Can you name the great fighters he has fought?

Not sure what this has to do with anything I said?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I must say, the logic disappoints me.

Someone comes along who is the very best at his weight class, beats all comers and looks dominant in doing it and it's HIS fault that he's not disadvantaging himself and fighting bigger and stronger guys than him and until he does he hasn't proven himself?

Khabib, Jon Jones, Anderson Silva, Mighty Mouse......... it's happened to them all.

For some people, being the best isn't good enough.
    McGregor climbed to the top of featherweight division and wanted to test himself in another weight class. He did well for himself, got a world title out of it. He even went to welterweight against Diaz twice. Man has no fear. If Conor never left FW there'd be people including him in the greatest lists.

Because of Khabib's style using his natural size advantage to force on opponent's, moving up weight puts his outstanding quality fairly obsolete. Like if he's so good why doesn't he move up? My reservations with him being talked about as great are the same with Mighty Mouse. They're afraid.

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    McGregor climbed to the top of featherweight division and wanted to test himself in another weight class. He did well for himself, got a world title out of it. He even went to welterweight against Diaz twice. Man has no fear. If Conor never left FW there'd be people including him in the greatest lists.

Because of Khabib's style using his natural size advantage to force on opponent's, moving up weight puts his outstanding quality fairly obsolete. Like if he's so good why doesn't he move up? My reservations with him being talked about as great are the same with Mighty Mouse. They're afraid.
    He did not go to Welterweight.
    He fought at 170, which is average ish for a Lightweight on fight night, also roughly his usual weight.

It was billed as a Welterweight fight, but it was just two Lightweights who didn't cut weight to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Khabib started and stayed in the division he's naturally closest too. McGregor started at a lower division with brutal weight cuts. Can't see him ever fighting featherweight again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,924 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Because of Khabib's style using his natural size advantage to force on opponent's, moving up weight puts his outstanding quality fairly obsolete.

What size advantage do you think Khabib over the rest of the average top LW?

It was billed as a Welterweight fight, but it was just two Lightweights who didn't cut weight to fight.
    It wasn’t a welterweight fight.
    But Diaz couldn’t make LW either.

It was almost booked at super lightweight. Could have been historic.

xckjoo wrote: »
    Khabib started and stayed in the division he's naturally closest too.
    Khabib has also fought at welterweight.
    And has missed weight at LW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

Khabib started and stayed in the division he's naturally closest too. McGregor started at a lower division with brutal weight cuts. Can't see him ever fighting featherweight again.
    Khabib's weight cuts to LW have a tougher track record than Conor's to FW. He complained about feeling sick & the cut's having a detrimental effect to his health, + missing weight at least once. He puts himself through it because he knows he can't mix it at WW. If he could he wouldn't be putting himself through the above.

Dustin Poirier by Sub
    Khabib's weight cuts to LW have a tougher track record than Conor's to FW. He complained about feeling sick & the cut's having a detrimental effect to his health, + missing weight at least once. He puts himself through it because he knows he can't mix it at WW. If he could he wouldn't be putting himself through the above.
    Conor looked like a corpse weighing in at 145
    Both weight cuts were equally tough, Conor just had better weight discipline, no tiramisu, etc.

Mellor wrote: »
    Khabib has also fought at welterweight.
    And has missed weight at LW.
    In UFC? Can only see mention of some pre-UFC fights at welterweight.
    Seemed like more of a lack of knowledge on how to cut weight than anything. But that could just be my perspective. He also had recurring injury issues that seem to be under control now with a proper team behind him.

In UFC? Can only see mention of some pre-UFC fights at welterweight.
    You refer the weight he “started at and stayed at”. Looking at his whole career seems relevant.
    Seemed like more of a lack of knowledge on how to cut weight than anything. But that could just be my perspective. He also had recurring injury issues that seem to be under control now with a proper team behind him.
    I doubt russian wrestling coaches, or those around his camp are unfamiliar with cutting weight. He was simply bigger then than he is now. He was getting up into the 190s before camp.

Mellor wrote: »
    You refer the weight he “started at and stayed at”. Looking at his whole career seems relevant.

I doubt russian wrestling coaches, or those around his camp are unfamiliar with cutting weight. He was simply bigger then than he is now. He was getting up into the 190s before camp.
    I just realised I mixed up welterweight and featherweight :o:pac:
    Welterweight must be the most competitive division in UFC at the moment. That and the extra jump in weight between divisions makes me think we'll never see him trying it. I've a feeling we're only going to see a few more fights out of Khabib before he retires.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Dustin Poirier by KO/TKO

Again,

A) I'm not sure what any of this has to do with what I said

B) I'm certainly not sure what any of what I said has to do with Conor McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭Homelander

I don't think there's anything wrong with being afraid of moving up a weight class. Khabib is in the right place (LW) at the right time (no decent wrestlers). Imagine retiring with a 30-0 record. He'll go down as the most dominant fighter ever (regardless of the breakdown or the particulars of how he got the record). Personally I think McGregor should've stuck at FW, he had absolutely unreal KO power at that weight. How many FW's have a record like he does, what was it, 16 or 17 KO/TKO's out of not many more fights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I'd say the man has the fear every few days now.

• Advertisement

the step up to Welterweight from Ligthweight is a much tougher proposition compared to going from Featherweight to Lightweight.

bigger jump in weight (15lbs compared to 10lbs) and power.

would not be advisable for Khabib and I doubt that he will do it.

McGregor was a guy who for a period of time could cut down to Featherweight and effectively be large for that division.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,331 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

glasso wrote:
    McGregor was a guy who for a period of time could cut down to Featherweight and effectively be large for that division.
    And Khabib is surely cutting weight to get down to lightweight. He is huge at that weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Post fight analysis from Roddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭dashoonage

https://www.instagram.com/p/B2RoVvSB-CZ/?igshid=1qxtx86s0bfz2

Felder ok to run it back as a 5 round main event.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,456 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How far away from the top 5 is Gregor Gillespe ?
    If theres one light weight who has the tools on "paper " to beat Khabib its Gregor , but can he make the jump and look the same aginst top guys and can he get there before Khabib packs it in

• Registered Users Posts: 12,406 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

How far away from the top 5 is Gregor Gillespe ?
    If theres one light weight who has the tools on "paper " to beat Khabib its Gregor , but can he make the jump and look the same aginst top guys and can he get there before Khabib packs it in

Assume he would need a win on a PPV card and then another win against a top 5?

Whos knows though there so much left to chance in the UFC with injuries etc he could get up there sooner. Seems hes started to realise he has to call people out to get ahead now though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Wayne Jarvis

Khabib and Tony's last 8 opponents. This fight just has to be next.

n5metedsl3m31.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

eagle eye wrote: »
    And Khabib is surely cutting weight to get down to lightweight. He is huge at that weight.

Khabib never struck me as particularly big looking, stubby arms and squat shoulders .............his core strength is clearly huge

Don't think he'd look big at all at 170, quite the opposite

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Don't think he'd look big at all at 170, quite the opposite

Khabib fights at lightweight.
    He is saying Khabib is cutting a lot to get down to 155. He wouldn' be cutting a lot to get down to 170.
    Just like Conor was cutting a lot to get down to 145, but isn't cutting a lot to get down to 155.

• Advertisement
Advertisement