Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Private Numbers'

• 15-09-2011 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I thought I'd throw this in here as it is afterhours :) Some intrepid person keeps trying to ring me using a 'private number.' However, I will not answer 'private numbers.' I don't know it irritates me on some level I suppose.

Am I alone? Am I the only one who thinks in the day and age of 'own number sending' that it's bloody rude to hide your phone number?

SD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i know loads of people that wont answer private numbers. it pisses me off because my house phone is not listed so comes up as private no. just answer your phone, whats the worst that could happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Will usually answer but not when in the grip of the fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Alot aren't hiding it on purpose. Don't be such a chicken.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i never answer private numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

FatherLen wrote: »
    i know loads of people that wont answer private numbers. it pisses me off because my house phone is not listed so comes up as private no. just answer your phone, whats the worst that could happen?

It could be my mother?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It's O2 that was calling you.

You are alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

eh some want to make a work call on their personal mobile so..

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

I don't answer private numbers because it's usually the bank wanting to shout at me. :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

put 0024 before the number you are dialling e.g. 00240861234567 when you use the landline next time and your number will appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

just answer the feckin phone wilya?????????????

• Advertisement

could be a serial killer who decides his next victim by whoever answers the phone? that would be pretty bad..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I never answer private numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Saila wrote: »
    could be a serial killer who decides his next victim by whoever answers the phone? that would be pretty bad..
    i will take the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

i never answer private numbers.
    why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭ Killian Orange Victor

Just answer the phone ffs. What are they gonna do? Stab you through the headset?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Answer it, wait for the caller to say ''Hello...'' and if you don't like who it is or you just don't want to talk to them, just respond with: ''Que?''

The person who rang will probably hate you from that point on, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 912 ✭✭✭whatsamsn

I hate that mentality :mad:
    Fair enough if you're getting prank calls. Why answer the privates then. But if your not, not answering private is retarded.

I can throw many situations out where I needed to ring people and couldnt do so with my phone (out of power etc). Such as ringing a person from my landline (which automatically hides its number for some reason) to asking a mate to borrow his phone to ring someone and the mate says "hide his number" because he doesnt wanna get a text or call few days after saying "whos this?" as has happened many times.

J. Marston wrote: »
    Answer it, wait for the caller to say ''Hello...'' and if you don't like who it is or you just don't want to talk to them, just respond with: ''Que?''

and hope they are not spanish speaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

ha, I got the same thing once for several months. I refused to answer as I was convinced it was an ex that had refused to move on.

Eventually I got fed up and answered.

It was Chorus NTL :D

Shamed!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Saila wrote: »
    and hope they are not spanish speaking

Yeah, you're kind of fúcked then....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

@ Anyone who refuses to answer a private number call

Not answering a ringing phone is the height of ignorance.

Someone is trying to speak to you and you refuse to answer?

If knowing who's on the line is in any way important you'll answer the call.

If a strange number (one you don't recognise) show, do you answer it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

I answer anything.

never had i had any hassle

got a fecking job off a private number once !

if you dont answer private number then your a fecking oulwan :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Always answer private numbers...it's usually people looking for me to do a job for them and job = money so I actually look forward to receiving them. Then again I come from a time in history when you didn't know who was calling you before you said "Hello?"...
    Why the nervousness surrounding not knowing who's calling? Perhaps understandable if companies are calling looking for money, but if they don't get you that way they'll be door stepping you or sending the bailiffs round at some stage so best sort that sh*t out sooner rather than later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

My phone shows up as private number, even though I've got it set to "Send my Number." Noticed yesterday while going through my phone settings, that my phone doesn't seem to actually know what the number for it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭StudentDad

I wasn't expecting such a flood of replies lol The way I look at it is if it's important enough they can leave me a message and a bloody phone number :)

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I don't answer them myself. I seem to get a few and they never leave a voicemail.

Either the bank or some chick I don't want to talk to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

however did people cope with old phones that were just...phones? no caller id?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

bluewolf wrote: »

"We'll ring 3 times, hang up, then ring again"

Was what the folks used to do when they were out and wanted to call us.

Fecking paranoia with the phones is nuts.

Gophur wrote: »
    @ Anyone who refuses to answer a private number call

Not answering a ringing phone is the height of ignorance.

Someone is trying to speak to you and you refuse to answer?

If knowing who's on the line is in any way important you'll answer the call.

If a strange number (one you don't recognise) show, do you answer it?

Here's the thing. What have you got to hide that you conceal your number?

Yes, I will answer a strange number. At least I can call you back, coz I have your number.

• Advertisement

bluewolf wrote: »

I don't remember............

Advertisement