Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

World Cup

• 27-12-2009 8:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭

Soccer / football World Cup

If you use Betfair you probably know the answers as I've asked these before.

(1) He came on as a substitute, scored the last goal in the World Cup, and was substituted. He scored the first goal in the next World Cup.
    (2) There was something odd about the goals in the 1986 World Cup final.
    (3) All four teams in a World Cup group ended on four points, and same goal difference. Name them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Number 3 was Irelands group in 1994
    Ireland , Italy, Mexico, Norway. All had one win, one loss and one draw. Norway went out on goals scored I think, making Aldridges consolation against Mexico oh so Important.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

1. Is Allesandro Alltobelli. Came on early in 1982 final scored 81 minute, hooked at 83 minutes. Then he scored the first goal of the the 1986 world cup against Bulgaria.

Can't think of 2 for the life of me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭newestUser

Was the last one Irelands group in U.S.A. 94? Let me check...Wikipedia says yes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

kincsem wrote: »
    Soccer / football World Cup
    (2) There was something odd about the goals in the 1986 World Cup final.

Shirt numbers of the five goalscorers were odd.

Argentina 3 – 2 West Germany

Brown 23' (5)
    Valdano 55' (11)
    Rummenigge 74' (11)
    Völler 80' (9)
    Burruchaga 83' (7)

I had the Germans backed at 14/1 :(

Altobelli and Irish group in USA 1994 answers correct.
    Traditionally the World Cup holders play the first game in the following WC so there is always a chance a player can finish one WC with a goal and start another WC with a goal.

Advertisement