Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

O.K. after a name

• 12-02-2020 10:50am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

See attached image from the Belfast Newsletter in 1879.

The bride's father is listed as "the late Mr E. Ure, Esq, O.K. of Dublin".

I have lots of info about this man (Ebenezer) and have posted about him before here but I've never seen OK after a name. I have the marriage record, etc for the couple in question and have traced the family forward.

Any ideas?

Genealogy Forum Mod

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Ebenezer Ure was a paymaster in the civil service, based in Dublin castle, according to Hester's baptism [actually a junior clerk in the office in the post office directory 1858].

I see he served a term in prison for assaulting his wife & daughter in 1861 when he appears to have lost his good job.

The marriage announcement refers to the late Ebenezer although he is not recorded as deceased on the marriage certs & I can't find a death cert in Ireland.

He was a government servant on her sister's Helena's baptism in 1859 & a government official in 1895 when she married.

Maybe O.K stands for something like 'Office of the Keeper of the State Records'? - that was located in Dublin castle; otherwise could he have emigrated to somewhere like 'Outer Kenya' or some such far flung place?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Thanks for that. I actually have all this about him - he's a colourful character and with a name like that, he certainly pops out of the records. His death has eluded me for years but I've pinned it to the 1870s (wife died 1870 and is listed as married; and then the 2 daughters' marriages say he's dead by 1879).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Colourful character indeed - my suspicion is he skipped the country after his sojourn in prison!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭SophieLockhart

In the Nenagh Guardian excerpt about the marriage, he's also described as 'C.E.'

w0Gj9X.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

That could be a smudged C.E. in the first snip too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

spurious wrote: »
    That could be a smudged C.E. in the first snip too.

Having looked at it I think that too. I've seen a few possibilities for CE - civil engineer, Church (of) England, and Christian Endeavour. Make of those what you will.

mod9maple wrote: »
    Having looked at it I think that too. I've seen a few possibilities for CE - civil engineer, Church (of) England, and Christian Endeavour. Make of those what you will.

Oooh thanks for this. I will reconsider.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

CE is Chartered Engineer.

Oh! I wonder if there's records for them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement