Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
05-02-2020, 00:31   #1
feargale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,114
Colonial Africa

I have read a comment in another site asserting that Africa's best years were in the colonial era. Please discuss, comment, criticise.
feargale is offline  
Advertisement
05-02-2020, 00:35   #2
yoke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 341
link - https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zmkwtfcAL...hands_1904.jpg
A father stares at the severed hand and foot of his five-year-old daughter as punishment for failing to make the daily rubber quota, in Belgian Congo, 1904.

Last edited by Manach; 05-02-2020 at 00:42. Reason: Removing NSFW imagary - link remains.
yoke is offline  
(2) thanks from:
05-02-2020, 00:59   #3
Peregrinus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by feargale View Post
I have read a comment in another site asserting that Africa's best years were in the colonial era. Please discuss, comment, criticise.
Very hard to discuss, comment or criticise when no reason is offered in support of this conclusion, and nothing is said about what is meant by "best years".

If what you have relayed is the full amount of what was posted in the other site, then my comment is: this is not worth my time.

If what you have relayed is less than the full amount of what was posted in the other site, then my comment is: why are you censoring this?
Peregrinus is offline  
(2) thanks from:
05-02-2020, 10:40   #4
Jim2007
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by feargale View Post
I have read a comment in another site asserting that Africa's best years were in the colonial era. Please discuss, comment, criticise.
This is not an exam. If you want to start a discussion, then start with a contribution, otherwise it is just trolling
Jim2007 is offline  
05-02-2020, 12:39   #5
feargale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoke View Post
link - https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zmkwtfcAL...hands_1904.jpg
A father stares at the severed hand and foot of his five-year-old daughter as punishment for failing to make the daily rubber quota, in Belgian Congo, 1904.
That is the first case that occurred to me, Leopold II and the Congo. Thank you for your constructive contribution.
Would you like to say more?
Would others like to contribute? Is there any merit at all in what I read on the other site?

If I might momentarily don the mantle of the Devil's Advocate:

Take Slavery:
From the same general direction as the assertion quoted lin my OP, admittedly a right-wing direction, came the assertion that more slaves were taken from Africa to the Arab world and Turkey than were taken by Europeans to the Americas,. There was much local collusion in the latter trade. I believe that Mauretania was the last country on the planet to officially abolish slavery, in 1962, while in reality it remains rampant there. If memory serves me correctly the "abolition" in Mauretania has resulted in just one prosecution.

Last edited by feargale; 05-02-2020 at 14:20.
feargale is offline  
Advertisement
05-02-2020, 14:05   #6
feargale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2007 View Post
This is not an exam. If you want to start a discussion, then start with a contribution, otherwise it is just trolling
This started with an assertion,
feargale is offline  
05-02-2020, 15:04   #7
yoke
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by feargale View Post
Would you like to say more?
What more is there to say?

“Were Africa’s best years in the colonial era?” - Yes, if you were a Belgian tyrant making money off rubber plantations.

If you already knew about the likes of Leopold and their actions, then I have serious misgivings about your motivation for asking this question.

Just because the Arabs did something before the Europeans doesn’t make it right. Sure it’s alright to rob the granny who lives down the street, some gang did it last week already so it’s acceptable now.

Last edited by yoke; 05-02-2020 at 15:13.
yoke is offline  
Thanks from:
05-02-2020, 20:43   #8
feargale
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 7,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoke View Post
What more is there to say?

“Were Africa’s best years in the colonial era?” - Yes, if you were a Belgian tyrant making money off rubber plantations.

If you already knew about the likes of Leopold and their actions, then I have serious misgivings about your motivation for asking this question.

Just because the Arabs did something before the Europeans doesn’t make it right. Sure it’s alright to rob the granny who lives down the street, some gang did it last week already so it’s acceptable now.
Of course what Arabs did doesn't make slavery by others right. Why should you question my motivation for asking a question? The trouble with boards.ie is that for many there can be no open-ended discussion about anything.
OK. Put it another way: was Arab slavery equally bad or worse? What era was/is better than the colonial era?

P.S. Would it ever occur to you that I might want to equip myself to answer the person who made the original assertion?

Last edited by feargale; 05-02-2020 at 21:33.
feargale is offline  
05-02-2020, 22:09   #9
riffmongous
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 9,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by feargale View Post
That is the first case that occurred to me, Leopold II and the Congo. Thank you for your constructive contribution.
Would you like to say more?
Would others like to contribute? Is there any merit at all in what I read on the other site?

If I might momentarily don the mantle of the Devil's Advocate:

Take Slavery:
From the same general direction as the assertion quoted lin my OP, admittedly a right-wing direction, came the assertion that more slaves were taken from Africa to the Arab world and Turkey than were taken by Europeans to the Americas,. There was much local collusion in the latter trade. I believe that Mauretania was the last country on the planet to officially abolish slavery, in 1962, while in reality it remains rampant there. If memory serves me correctly the "abolition" in Mauretania has resulted in just one prosecution.
MOD: This thread is really borderline.. it's far too open-ended and if you are not willing to make any effort then why should anyone else get invested?

And then when you do finally contribute something like here, please provide a source for it, an assertion is not acceptable
riffmongous is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
06-02-2020, 01:32   #10
Peregrinus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by feargale View Post
Take Slavery:
From the same general direction as the assertion quoted lin my OP, admittedly a right-wing direction, came the assertion that more slaves were taken from Africa to the Arab world and Turkey than were taken by Europeans to the Americas,. There was much local collusion in the latter trade. I believe that Mauretania was the last country on the planet to officially abolish slavery, in 1962, while in reality it remains rampant there. If memory serves me correctly the "abolition" in Mauretania has resulted in just one prosecution.
How in God's name does that help the thesis? There was already a lively slave trade in Africa before the European powers came along and made it much, much worse by opening up new foreign markets for slaves, greatly increasing demand and introducing chattel slavery to new countries and new societies. Is that supposed to have made things better?
Peregrinus is offline  
06-02-2020, 09:17   #11
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,988
Slavery cannot be discussed while ignoring supply factors such as the role of tribal warfare. Ban slavery and it is replaced by genocide. Most of Africa is a basket-case economically, largely due to corrupt leaders and complicit global trade partners and Swiss bankers. It's a stupid thread. Are we heading in the direction of Dr. Watson?
pedroeibar1 is offline  
06-02-2020, 09:49   #12
Peregrinus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 18,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedroeibar1 View Post
Slavery cannot be discussed while ignoring supply factors such as the role of tribal warfare. Ban slavery and it is replaced by genocide.
Only if we assume that the rate of tribal warfare is fixed, and is not affected by Western intervention.

But this is balls. The West African slave market boomed when the whiteys turned up, looking to buy large numbers and offering top dollar. Wars expanded to increase the supply of new slaves to meet booming demand. The rulers of the coastal slave-trading states used the cash they got from selling slaves to buy western arms to increase their capacity to attack their neighbours and capture more slaves. What else would you expect them to do?
Peregrinus is offline  
07-02-2020, 00:17   #13
Yellow_Fern
Registered User
 
Yellow_Fern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by feargale View Post
I have read a comment in another site asserting that Africa's best years were in the colonial era. Please discuss, comment, criticise.
Africa is booming. There is enormous growth since the move away from soclalist and dictation ships in the 1990s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoke View Post
link - https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zmkwtfcAL...hands_1904.jpg
A father stares at the severed hand and foot of his five-year-old daughter as punishment for failing to make the daily rubber quota, in Belgian Congo, 1904.
You are cherrypicking. The DRC is the worst example of colonialism. British colonialism in East Africa did a lot of good, ending slavery and there was relatively little resource stripping and they also built rail. It wasnt all good but its a million miles from Congo
Yellow_Fern is offline  
09-02-2020, 05:47   #14
BalcombeSt4
Registered User
 
BalcombeSt4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 1,410
Yes, the Algerians loved the French, they loved the unspeakable torture that happened to them, they loved the French killing hundreds of thousands of their countrymen.

Quote:
Huf argued, "Such tactics sat uncomfortably with France's revolutionary history, and brought unbearable comparisons with Nazi Germany. The French national psyche would not tolerate any parallels between their experiences of occupation and their colonial mastery of Algeria."
Angolians loved the Portugues enforcing the forced cultivation of cotton, so much that they rose up in rebellion against their imperial masters. Or Guinea which became known as Portugal's Vietnam.

Kenyans had a lovely time under British Rule ...
Quote:
Although some were Mau Mau guerrillas, most were victims of collective punishment that colonial authorities imposed on large areas of the country. Hundreds of thousands suffered beatings and sexal assaults during "screenings" intended to extract information about the Mau Mau threat. Later, prisoners suffered even worse mistreatment in an attempt to force them to renounce their allegiance to the insurgency and to obey commands. Significant numbers were murdered. Prisoners were questioned with the help of "slicing off ears, boring holes in eardrums, flogging until death, pouring paraffin over suspects who were then set alight, and burning eardrums with lit cigarettes". Castration by British troops and denying access to medical aid to the detainees were also widespread and common. Among the detainees who suffered severe mistreatment was Hussien Obama the grandfather of Barrack Obama the former President of the United States. According to his widow, British soldiers forced pins into his fingernails and buttocks and squeezed his testicles between metal rods and two others were castrated
I think they got it wrong, that wasn't the British in Kenya it was ISIS.

Weren't Ireland's best years under Cromwellian occupation?
BalcombeSt4 is offline  
Thanks from:
09-02-2020, 21:53   #15
Yellow_Fern
Registered User
 
Yellow_Fern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalcombeSt4 View Post
Yes, the Algerians loved the French, they loved the unspeakable torture that happened to them, they loved the French killing hundreds of thousands of their countrymen.



Angolians loved the Portugues enforcing the forced cultivation of cotton, so much that they rose up in rebellion against their imperial masters. Or Guinea which became known as Portugal's Vietnam.

Kenyans had a lovely time under British Rule ...


I think they got it wrong, that wasn't the British in Kenya it was ISIS.

Weren't Ireland's best years under Cromwellian occupation?
Africa is an enormous place, yes there were terrible atrocities. But is a varied picture and some of the colonialist did amazing work. You can't compare Cromwell to what happened in Africa. Africa is a region where there was vastly less European influence. For example the vast majority of African arable land was never farmed by Europeans. Anyone who equates the British army of the 1950s to ISIS is a moron.
Yellow_Fern is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet