Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Royal Enfield

• 21-09-2019 10:40pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3

Thinking of getting one.

Anyone got one?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭H_Lime

New model or an older one?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

OP is banned so don't hold your breath! :)

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Lol, must have been a bold boy on an old acc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

I have a 2019 Himalayan......

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Breezin

Thinking of getting one.

Anyone got one?

2019 Interceptor 650.

What's this banned business? Not very RE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

I have a 2005 Bullet 500, 4 speed kickstart model, basically a 1950s bike with some concessions to modernity (indicators, etc). Surprisingly nice to ride, good handling, great 1950s British big single experience. :) Stay away from motorways, though. :o

Thinking of getting one.

Anyone got one?

Which one are you thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Nabidana

Breezin wrote: »
    2019 Interceptor 650.

Hey breezin,

How do you find the interceptor?

NBD.

Nabidana wrote: »
    Hey breezin,

How do you find the interceptor?

NBD.

Hi Nabidana. The Interceptor 650 is a joy to ride, pure and simple. One of the most common comments made is that it just puts a smile on your face :p

Most of the reviews are 95% positive, and the recent MCN face-off with the Triumph Street Twin, which the RE won, was an out and rave. All reviewers report some niggles, but they are minor -- and they would do that anyway.

I have 1,100 miles up now, and haven't been able to ride as much as I would like, but I can't get enough of it. I've had Japanese in-line fours in the past, and my last bike was a Bullet, but the Interceptor is in a different league.

Not the fastest, but I didn't buy it for speed. (I won't bore you with the ongoing cost in insurance premiums of my three penalty points incurred for speeding in a car years ago.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

With rumor of a 650cc Himalayan doing the rounds I wouldn't touch a new Himalayan just yet, and looking at the specs on the RE range in Bikeworld they're last years stock (new stock at rear disc brakes and other little mods).

I fancy the 500 Classic if I wanted a little play thing for weekend spins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

With rumor of a 650cc Himalayan doing the rounds I wouldn't touch a new Himalayan just yet, and looking at the specs on the RE range in Bikeworld they're last years stock (new stock at rear disc brakes and other little mods).

tbh, on a bike of that performance a drum on the rear is fine. better feel too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭listermint

galwaytt wrote: »

Crap for maintenance tbh. I wouldnt recommend one over disks. No thanks.

listermint wrote: »

potato/potatoe (no H-D joke intended), but rear calipers are the most often ignored anyway.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Bought my Himalayan in July from Bikeworld and it has a rear disc. I don't think any Himalayan had rear drum.

Keep waiting for the new model and you'll never ride.

Rear disc brakes are a pita for seizing up on a lot of bikes. Drums you just have to turn an adjuster every once in a while. Slightly more awkward for getting the rear wheel off.

Life ain't always empty.

Rear disc brakes are a pita for seizing up on a lot of bikes. Drums you just have to turn an adjuster every once in a while. Slightly more awkward for getting the rear wheel off.

Rusty springs and offset pads.

No thanks . There's a reason it's cheap technology and it's not for simplicity.

potato/potatoe (no H-D joke intended), but rear calipers are the most often ignored anyway.

They shouldn't be if one wants to master slow control.

Key feature for slalom. Turning circle amongst other things like riding in the wet. Stay away from the fronts unless necessary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I get what you're saying, and I never use a rear brake unless like my GS its linked. But if I'm going to buy a new bike (or anything else for that matter) I want the current model.

I get what you're saying, and I never use a rear brake unless like my GS its linked. But if I'm going to buy a new bike (or anything else for that matter) I want the current model.

I hear ya, but this is a Royal Enfield we're talking about......

Ode To The Motorist

They shouldn't be if one wants to master slow control.

Key feature for slalom. Turning circle amongst other things like riding in the wet. Stay away from the fronts unless necessary

You're comment, I get :) :

...but what I meant was that from a maintenance perspective that they're one of the most ignored....on a bike full dress tourer esp so, not such an issue on more open architecture bikes where at least you can actually see the thing

Ode To The Motorist

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭mattser

I hear ya, but this is a Royal Enfield we're talking about......

What do you mean ?

Disc wears out you swop it, pretty straight forard, not so a drum lining.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,871 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mattser wrote: »
    What do you mean ?

The new Royal Enfield is still a 60 year old design.

Rusty springs and offset pads.

No thanks . There's a reason it's cheap technology and it's not for simplicity.

Had a Bullet for years, and other than the very occasional turn on the adjuster never had to pay attention to the rear brake. It just worked.

(But this is academic, as it's been pointed out the the Himalayan has a rear disc, as has the Interceptor.)

H_Lime wrote: »
    Disc wears out you swop it, pretty straight forard, not so a drum lining.

The only time I ever wore out a rear disc was because the caliper seized!

Life ain't always empty.

The only time I ever wore out a rear disc was because the caliper seized!

Not the disc faults that you allow brakes seize:D

I have two rear wheels with drum linings worn. So what does that involve
    ...pull wheel, remove trye and tube, cut and remove spokes, buy new hub, buy new spokes/nipples, have respoked, buy new bearings, install new bearings, re shod tube n tyre and pull asunder again in 1000 miles to retrue and then yer sorted. Time and money there my man!

Versus

Pull caliper, remove wheel, remove disc, fit new disc, fit caliper, reinstate wheel.

Shouldn't have let the shoes score the drum :p

Life ain't always empty.

Shouldn't have let the shoes score the drum :p

They didn't, they wore the drum linings down;)

Dont get me wrong, my fav bike has a drum rear whos performance is sweet, but I accept its a bigger pain than an hydraulic dics braked model when the linings are shot.

The lining is the friction material attached to the shoes.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

The lining is the friction material attached to the shoes.

For sh1ts n giggles, jap bike with drum rear from '88. Cheapest oem supplier being Megazip prices in $
    Hub; 246.47 Shoes; 53.14 Spoke set: 119.56 Bearings; 33
    100 to have wheel built and say 35 euro dismount/mount and balance tyre = €535. Even if you use spurious pads and bearings your over 500 squid:cool:

Same bike from '89 went disc rear.
    Ebc disc and pads 79 gbp.

The reason why I have all this info to hand and bother having an opinion about it???

20191023-190629.jpg
    My 88 dr. Drum is worn as the eagle eyed might spot (shoes are new)

20191023-190612.jpg
    My 89 dr and its disc is worn.
    Ones a half hour fix and the others a pain the left bollix and a big dent in the wallet;)

Advertisement