Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Front door painted Eggshell, change to matt

• 18-09-2019 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭

Painted the front door (Munster joinery Nordic pine).
    Did a good prep, 2 coats of oil based undercoat two coats of oil based sandtex Eggshell.

Turns out we don't get on both the colour or sheen, so will be re-doing it in matt. Bugger.

I assume I need to abrade the paint with sandpaper, but can I use either a water based OR oil based matt paint?

Any downsides to matt paint for a front door, will it scuff easily compared to the eggshell?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Painted the front door (Munster joinery Nordic pine).
    Did a good prep, 2 coats of oil based undercoat two coats of oil based sandtex Eggshell.

Turns out we don't get on both the colour or sheen, so will be re-doing it in matt. Bugger.

I assume I need to abrade the paint with sandpaper, but can I use either a water based OR oil based matt paint?

Any downsides to matt paint for a front door, will it scuff easily compared to the eggshell?

Many thanks.

Depends on when you painted it. If very recent then the new coat will be merely a third coat (in a different colour/finish).

I'd stick with oil if current is anyway fresh, given the time for oil to fully go off. I wouldn't like putting water on something still chemically active. Oil is tougher, far tougher too. Better for a front door

Oil takes quite a while to go off so care if sanding that its not too soft-else you'll gouge, espec where paint is thicker.

You could invest in a bottle of easy surface prep instead of sanding.

Dunno about matt and showing up marks. Front door..mmmmn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Many thanks, great advice.

One other thing, is there a way to add something to the paint to 'de-gloss' eggshell? Final eggshell finish was quite a bit more glossy than expected.

Advertisement