Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Man shoots dead neighbour in Co. Mayo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Have a look at this photograph of the scene from d'Examiner - I won't embed the photo, but it looks to me like the car nosed into the ditch after the driver was suddenly incapacitated, and from what I can tell the range involved wouldn't be beyond a standard 12-gauge:

https://www.irishexaminer.com/remote/media.central.ie/media/images/m/MayoShootingSept2019CredKeithHeneghan_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-951457

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PatsyJ

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Fine Gael Dublin.

Do you not have Fine Gael outside of Dublin then? I'm not a fan of them myself but it's not just Dublin who elects them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

For the love of jaysus. The next townland over from my parents’ house is literally across the road. A five metre walk at most. If you’re from rural Ireland, you know full well that the neighbouring townland is the same area.

Spot on, my address can be two different townlands, the road outside splits them. And if I go 200m up the road it's another one.

Hoboo wrote: »
    Spot on, my address can be two different townlands, the road outside splits them. And if I go 200m up the road it's another one.

Of course, it happens all the time - Woman's land is in two different townlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

It shows the fear people are living under in Rural Ireland with all the robberies and burglaries, any noise at night time is met with fear ..

No garda Stations and roaming traveller gangs have Rural Ireland under siege not that Fine Gael Dublin care.

Cheap shots and racism, well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

the racist card :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Racism? It is a fact that some of the roaming criminal gangs are made up of members of the travelling community.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Can't be racist of we are all one race as in we are all human beings.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

GooglePlus wrote: »
    He should be locked up so, simple as.

Regardless of the fact that he may have thought it was an intruder, you don't go firing "warning shots" about like you're in a western.

Should be found guilty of man slaughter. There should be no jail time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Your lordship needs to come down from the pulpit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I don't own a gun, but I was under the impression (open to correction here) that if you do have a licence you need to ensure it is stored in a safe or similar, with the ammo remote from it. So the old man here made a deliberate decision to get the gun and load it, which sort of discounts (to an extent anyway) the accidental nature of this.

If you do have a licence, I assume it needs to be renewed, and there's an element of oversight in ensuring the person is still capable of ownership?

Regardless of extenuating circumstances, from what is being reported it does sound to me like a crime was committed, tragic as it is. In 1 sense, it makes you happy we're not in a country like the States where so many more people can have access to weapons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

For the love of jaysus. The next townland over from my parents’ house is literally across the road. A five metre walk at most. If you’re from rural Ireland, you know full well that the neighbouring townland is the same area.

I’m from rural Ireland and there’s a nearby townsland about 6 miles away

Er, yes. If you live in Goleen, Co. Waterford is 100 miles away. If you live in Youghal, you can throw a blaa over the county bounds. You've never left Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

dulpit wrote: »
    I don't own a gun, but I was under the impression (open to correction here) that if you do have a licence you need to ensure it is stored in a safe or similar, with the ammo remote from it. So the old man here made a deliberate decision to get the gun and load it, which sort of discounts (to an extent anyway) the accidental nature of this.

If you do have a licence, I assume it needs to be renewed, and there's an element of oversight in ensuring the person is still capable of ownership?

Regardless of extenuating circumstances, from what is being reported it does sound to me like a crime was committed, tragic as it is. In 1 sense, it makes you happy we're not in a country like the States where so many more people can have access to weapons.

Yes, my father has two shotguns and a rifle in a very thick, very heavy gun safe. At some stage I think a garda has to come and inspect the safe. I'm the licensee for one of these guns and have to renew the licence every few years. There are some hoops to jump through but I've never had my competency callled into question. Might be different if I was older though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

jimgoose wrote: »
    Er, yes. If you live in Goleen, Co. Waterford is 100 miles away. If you live in Youghal, you can throw a blaa over the county bounds. You've never left Cork.

What I’m trying to say is, the papers are saying he wasn’t from the immediate area, but a nearby townsland.
    People saying their next townsland is the other side of the road, is effectively in the immediate area, a nearby townsland could be 2 miles, it could be ten miles.
    He wasn’t on his own doorstep at midnight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

True regarding townlands, the smallest one here is 12 acres, it's basically a few football fields.

My own one from one end to another is 1.5miles by a mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

That is a very large distance between townlands. And they still have to abut. So for people living closer to the dividing line between the townlands, it’s going to be a lot less than six miles. Unless there are townlands in between yours and the one six miles away. In which case, they’re not neighbouring townlands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Depends on if it’s a dead-end road or a through way. In my experience of growing up on a road that isn’t a dead end in a very rural, low population part of the west of Ireland, you could have up to five cars passing an hour at any time of the night. It’s not that quiet. People are greatly exaggerating on this thread. It’s not clear from the photos if this road is a dead-end. And whilst traffic would lighter on those roads, if there are other houses nearby, then there will still be a bit of traffic.

I am a rural dweller, living 12 miles from my nearest town, my nearest village is 5 miles away and I'd be very concerned if any car drew up outside my gate after dark. (And I'm not close to 80 years of age.)

The only cars that drive past here late at night are boy racers who are a right pain in the arse but at least they don't stop outside the gate! Or, if they do, it's because they've crashed at the tight bend just down the road and are waiting for one of their buddies to come and tow them away.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

dulpit wrote: »

A farmer is almost always going to get their license updated I'd imagine, it's just necessary.. at least they will up until we have a few more incidents like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Portsalon wrote: »
    I am a rural dweller, living 12 miles from my nearest town, my nearest village is 5 miles away and I'd be very concerned if any car drew up outside my gate after dark. (And I'm not close to 80 years of age.)

The only cars that drive past here late at night are boy racers who are a right pain in the arse but at least they don't stop outside the gate! Or, if they do, it's because they've crashed at the tight bend just down the road and are waiting for one of their buddies to come and tow them away.

Really? My interest would be piqued but concern wouldn’t be my first thought. I’m going on experience of obviously growing up in my parents’ house but also living there for a few short periods as an adult.

Boy racers are part of the late night traffic but far from the bulk of it. Quite frankly, I wouldn’t live in the countryside if it made me so easily fearful. It’s no way to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I’m holding back on feeling sad for the shooter for now. Many 80 year olds have their full faculties and the infantilisation of this guy based on his age is strange. My sympathies lie more with the victim at this time.

Agree with this, there is a man dead here at the end of the day yet people are sympathising with the man who killed him. At least he still has his life, his victim does not and now his family has to live with the consequences of losing a loved one for no good reason.

No matter whether the person outside his house was a friend or a burglar a couple of warning shots into the air would have quickly made them get out of there. But instead he pointed a gun at a car, shot and killed a man. His age doesnt matter or else all 80 year olds could go around trigger happy shooting people. This is manslaughter at a minimum IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I
    We’ve no idea if that elderly man had a phone in his house, if he had anyone to call, if anyone even checks in on him or how many times he may have dealt with trespassers on his property before.

If he was in such constant fear that he would shoot at someone as the first course of action, then he should have made it his business to own a phone , mobile or landline, and have the number of the Garda station.

Quite frankly, I wouldn’t live in the countryside if it made me so easily fearful. It’s no way to live.

I'm not at all fearful! Because, as I mentioned above, cars - apart from the odd boy racer - very rarely drive past my gate late at night! That's the joy of living in a remote and scenic part of this country.

You must have been responding to my hypothetical observation that if a car stopped outside my gate late at night then I would be concerned - not fearful mind, just concerned!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Agree with this, there is a man dead here at the end of the day yet people are sympathising with the man who killed him.

sympathy for the man who died and his family is not mutually exclusive with sympathy for the man who shot him

If he was in such constant fear that he would shoot at someone as the first course of action, then he should have made it his business to own a phone , mobile or landline, and have the number of the Garda station.

The top-notch whataboutery on this thread has now reached "United Ireland" levels of conjecture!

What I’m trying to say is, the papers are saying he wasn’t from the immediate area, but a nearby townsland.
    People saying their next townsland is the other side of the road, is effectively in the immediate area, a nearby townsland could be 2 miles, it could be ten miles.
    He wasn’t on his own doorstep at midnight anyway.

Do I get to shoot the farmer who came up our lane this morning at 01:45 to cut grass in the field behind my house for an hour then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Looks like there were a number of Burglaries in the area recently which has caused widespread fear, its the lowlifes who have driven law abiding people over the edge who have blood on their hands here and their apologists.

That Independant.ie article says there were burglaries in the area in the past, but nothing about recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I’m holding back on feeling sad for the shooter for now. Many 80 year olds have their full faculties and the infantilisation of this guy based on his age is strange. My sympathies lie more with the victim at this time.

Every time there's a story involving anyone vaguely old it goes like that. Sure look at the one with the 3 siblings getting evicted a while back. It was all "poor pensioers" it was 2 in their 60s and 1 in his 50s ffs.

I know a man of 82 that plays 5 a side football every week ( barring a recent layoff for a couple of months while sick). The rest of the lads are a mix from early 20's to late 50s and all that played football for years so it isn't walking football he plays. Majority of the time hes in goal but he still plays.

AulWan wrote: »
    That Independant.ie article says there were burglaries in the area in the past, but nothing about recently.

Nothing about current or future burglaries either - should we complain to the editor?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Portsalon wrote: »
    Nothing about current or future burglaries either - should we complain to the editor?

What current burglaries?

This is how stories grow legs on forums like these.

A very slight change in context e.g. changing "in the past" to "recent" and suddenly something appears in an entirely different light.

There was nothing reported about recent (or current) burglaries in the area. Those that happened in the past may have happened years ago.

Advertisement