Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quinn Director abducted and assaulted

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,219 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Indo reporting that there has been over 70 incidents in the last two years and that a Quinn executive rang the Gardai last year to report a death threat he received to and basically got fobbed off. Definite line of enquiry focussing on dissident republicans with connections to the gang being investigated for the spate of ATM robberies up there.

That Guard wasn't going to entertain it, he'd end up on nights for years to come.

The people behind it will have got some bollicking from friendly senior officers for going psycho like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

walshb wrote: »
    I may have missed, but have Sinn Fein been very quiet on this as regards comment and/or utter condemnation?

funny - i heard them condemning it on newstalk during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Was Sean Quinn at the protest march, does anybody know?

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Sinn Fein are a big political presence in the border areas. Doesn't seem unreasonable for them to be asked to comment.

Their local MP was at the march to support lunney.

Effort from the Govt has been quite though, now it is such a big story though Garda HQ might straighten out practices in Cavan.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

I didn't hear but it would have sent out a strong message if he did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Danzy wrote: »
    Their local MP was at the march to support lunney.

That is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

He wasn’t, he’s waiting until their campaign works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Rashers Big Log

I thought it was interesting that Seán Quinn issued a statement condemning the attack but most of the text I read in the paper was him voicing concern that his family would be blamed for it. I think a simple condemnation would have been sufficient

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Who is the equivalent of Thomas ‘Slab’ Murphy up on the Cavan/Fermanagh border?

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Who is the equivalent of Thomas ‘Slab’ Murphy up on the Cavan/Fermanagh border?

There is a clue on the tittle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I thought it was interesting that Seán Quinn issued a statement condemning the attack but most of the text I read in the paper was him voicing concern that his family would be blamed for it. I think a simple condemnation would have been sufficient

Also if you listen back to the radio interview Sean Quinn constantly refers to Kevin Lunney as "that man". The two of them worked side by side for over 20 years but if you didnt know better you'd think Quinn has never even met him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Also if you listen back to the radio interview Sean Quinn constantly refers to Kevin Lunney as "that man". The two of them worked side by side for over 20 years but if you didnt know better you'd think Quinn has never even met him.

Can we clear one thing - church of Ireland and Arlene Foster spoke as they know him well so I take it Kevin Lunney is Protestant!
    Sean Quinn is catholic ?

How the hell did all that work for 20 years and if I’m right about that no wonder there’s no problem getting takers to sort it out !
    The troubles never went away , just stayed out of the media!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭celt262

Can we clear one thing - church of Ireland and Arlene Foster spoke as they know him well so I take it Kevin Lunney is Protestant!
    Sean Quinn is catholic ?

How the hell did all that work for 20 years and if I’m right about that no wonder there’s no problem getting takers to sort it out !

How can you clear something up by making assumptions?

celt262 wrote: »
    How can you clear something up by making assumptions?

But sure if the people talking here can’t clear it up with there knowledge then we must go on assumptions !
    Why can u draw different conclusions from the facts that are before us !

its Just a sectarian punishment beating get over it , common as muck - knee capping did same thing only it was not as time consuming as Lummey was !

If a person took over my business from a vulture fund that I had spent years building up and even worse they were part of it ! Do they not think there was going to be repercussions?
    Why were the government intent on taking down Quinn when so many walked away with debt wrote off and back in the driving seat ASAP.
    I would believe a certain party benefited nicely from Derrylin Enterprizes!
    U can’t feel sorry for these people , they knew what they were getting into - Sean Quinn wasn’t dead just waiting for his time to get control from the greedy banks .
    And I know it was his own fault but who knows what **** he was spun to buy Anglo !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Millionaire do you know what actually happened with Quinn?

The govt didn't take him down, he did.

He bought billions of shares in Anglo on CFDs which obviously went south badly as that bank failed. He had to borrow money to keep the shares, this is how CFDs work, so ended up going broke. No one made him buy billions of shares and even when Anglo found out they met him to tell him how bad it was that one person owned so much of the bank. He then went out and bought more shares in Anglo.

His businesses in the construction sector were doing very well as there was a property boom. When the boom ended these started to struggle.

His insurance company was messing around with claims and also lost a pile of money in the UK. He personally, and the company, was fined the biggest ever fines given out by the regulating body for the messing around he was doing. There was a levy put on every policy in Ireland to cover the financial hole he created.

its Just a sectarian punishment beating get over it , common as muck - knee capping did same thing only it was not as time consuming as Lummey was !

One fact for sure is that it wasnt a punishment beating for sectarian reasons.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Millionaire do you know what actually happened with Quinn?

The govt didn't take him down, he did.

He bought billions of shares in Anglo on CFDs which obviously went south badly as that bank failed. He had to borrow money to keep the shares, this is how CFDs work, so ended up going broke. No one made him buy billions of shares and even when Anglo found out they met him to tell him how bad it was that one person owned so much of the bank. He then went out and bought more shares in Anglo.

His businesses in the construction sector were doing very well as there was a property boom. When the boom ended these started to struggle.

His insurance company was messing around with claims and also lost a pile of money in the UK. He personally, and the company, was fined the biggest ever fines given out by the regulating body for the messing around he was doing. There was a levy put on every policy in Ireland to cover the financial hole he created.

Oh I all know too well what Quinn has done - we did building for him back in 90’s and he failed to pay last of his bill!
    Only for we had the bill in high enough !

My point was he’s old school involved with parliamentary with god knows how long !
    He must have had some agreement with Lunney and co. To regain control .
    they knew what they were letting themselves in for !
    That’s all I was saying , Quinn is ruthless, and they might be just as bad .
    But depending on ordinary people to safe them is utterly wrong these people have brought there own destiny on them!

Listening to tripe of were saving jobs ! Rubbish talk , they were there to make themselves millionaires

One fact for sure is that it wasnt a punishment beating for sectarian reasons.

Yes sorry ur correct -a sectarian type punishment beating by parliamentary for over stepping the mark , ie cutting off donations or after receiving a healthy donation to carry it out !

And still no one here’s wants to comment on Kevin Lunney relationship with church of Ireland minister and Arlene Foster presents at the walk and open add mission to knowing him well
    Sectarian, power , ego, money there all related .
    Let them at it leave the ordinary decent people of Ireland out of it !
    Adrian Donoghue would rather be home with his family this evening than lying 6 ft under !

And still no one here’s wants to comment on Kevin Lunney relationship with church of Ireland minister and Arlene Foster presents at the walk and open add mission to knowing him well
    Adrian Donoghue would rather be home with his family this evening than lying 6 ft under !

How much do you know about the relationship other than them been at the March? There were political reps from both sides present.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,519 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

Its hardly surprising the local business people and politicians all know each other.

Derrylin, Kinawley, Lisnaskea, Ballyconnell, Swanlinbar etc is a very small area. Everybody knows everybody.

I wouldn't regard the attack as sectarian from anything Iv heard.

How much do you know about the relationship other than them been at the March? There were political reps from both sides present.

Do u seriously think a church of Ireland and dup would speak out so boldly only that his one off there own ?
    Anyway I really couldn’t care less only be responsible for ur own decisions !
    Same as Quinn is being responsible for what he started no one else , for Americans to come in - now piss off back to America they own too much of this country as it is !
    Why wasn’t Quinn allowed to cut a deal same as all the rest , I’m sure a lot of the hidden assets would have appeared if they played ball .
    Wouldn’t blame him one bit with the banks - criminals with collars .

I bet u all the money Quinn had or not had or all the bad decisions he made there’s no one more sorry. He’d settle quiet well for his business in Ballyconnell/ Derrylin today and nothing else !
    As for the insurance in fairness he shook it up while he was there , they were the only people to get a responsible quote, getting a settlement might have been different but sur maybe they were right not like what goes on with the rest .
    Dishing out settlements far too long for false claims !

Do u seriously think a church of Ireland and dup would speak out so boldly only that his one off there own ?
    Anyway I really couldn’t care less only be responsible for ur own decisions !
    Same as Quinn is being responsible for what he started no one else , for Americans to come in - now piss off back to America they own too much of this country as it is !
    Why wasn’t Quinn allowed to cut a deal same as all the rest , I’m sure a lot of the hidden assets would have appeared if they played ball .
    Wouldn’t blame him one bit with the banks - criminals with collars .

I bet u all the money Quinn had or not had or all the bad decisions he made there’s no one more sorry. He’d settle quiet well for his business in Ballyconnell/ Derrylin today and nothing else !
    As for the insurance in fairness he shook it up while he was there , they were the only people to get a responsible quote, getting a settlement might have been different but sur maybe they were right not like what goes on with the rest .
    Dishing out settlements far too long for false claims !

Recalling how Mr Lunney told him of this moment, local priest and family friend Fr Gerry Comiskey, struggled to hold back tears as he told Extra.ie of the moment Mr Lunney nearly lost all hope.

He said: ‘He told me that as twilight was turning into darkness he could see a light from a house and it was only a very short distance away but because of his almost-unconscious state he didn’t think he would make it.

From several news reports today

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Quinn's debt was different than all the rest, I presume you mean developers here, as it was on shares/cash and not property.

The value of the property may, or has, recovered but the value of the shares hasn't. They're still worth nothing.

As for the insurance, yeah he did shake it up. He undercut everyone else and then delayed paying out claims. By the time the claims had to be paid he'd gone and the blame was put squarely on the shoulders of the new management. As I mentioned earlier Quinn himself got the largest ever fine for how he was operating the insurance company.

Everyone makes mistakes we wudnt be human if we didn’t!
    Sean Quinn made a bad call on Several fronts no doubt mainly because he thought his core business was bulletproof .
    Now can anyone explain to me why we’re better off with a stranger running it - (Americans)
    He should have been allowed to buy it back over time but they choose to keep him out so the blood is on there hands !

No more than the bull McCabe it’s his field and it’s not about the money anymore

I’ve seen it down here they closed a quarry business in family for generations and left idle just to suit (roadstone -CRH) . Besides letting them trade out of it
    Part of the d4 gang I call it !

They don’t care about anything outside of Dublin

Sean Quinn is catholic ?

What relevance has that.

Your thinking is that Quinn looked at Lunney who may be a Prod, 20 years ago and thought I'll make that Orange bas5677 a millionaire, see how he likes that.

I think not.

It's important though to say it's sectarianism or dissident or ex provies.

Have to point over there.

Sean Quinn made a bad call on Several fronts no doubt mainly because he thought his core business was bulletproof .
    Now can anyone explain to me why we’re better off with a stranger running it - (Americans)
    He should have been allowed to buy it back over time but they choose to keep him out so the blood is on there hands !

No more than the bull McCabe it’s his field and it’s not about the money anymore

I’ve seen it down here they closed a quarry business in family for generations and left idle just to suit (roadstone -CRH) . Besides letting them trade out of it

Everyone does make mistakes but Quinn managed to keep digging and digging when he did. He seemed to blame Anglo for the fall in share price and him owing them money when it was his fault. Remember the tax payer had to fund the losses in Anglo and when he asset stripped the Quinn group we were the ones getting screwed.

His situation is very different than the Bull McCabe. This field would have just been left to rot if outsiders hadn't come in to help and the people who used to tend to it rot as well.

As for him being allowed to buy his old company back I just don't know. It was his actions that led to him being removed from it and you don't get to call who owns it after that. Could he even afford to buy it back as he was declared bankrupt in 2012 so where would the money come from to do so?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,507 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

True for you. He should be allowed use that money he hid from the Irish taxpayer in Russia and the Ukraine when he was "bankrupt" to come back and buy his empire back now. And sur if anyone disagrees with that we'll find a permanent solution for them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement