Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Quinn Director abducted and assaulted

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I seem to be in the minority here but wtf is it all about ?! After reading the Times article it would insinuate this is a backlash against the group being sold to British hedge funds ?! Surely that can’t be it. Is it really that lawless ?

Sorry I'm with you on this.

I haven't a clue who is doing what in these attacks. Everyone is beating around the bush and hinting at this and that, but can anyone explain exactly what is happening and why?

OK, I'm going to guess these attacks are all the work of ex-IRA men. That's probably safe to say, no?

But what have they against the directors of the company? This is where I get lost.

Some are hinting that the Quinn family are behind the attacks, so are they meant to be hiring thugs to dish out beatings of the company just because old Sean ran up massive debts and had the company taken off him, and he's huffing?

If this isn't true, and the Quinn's have condemned the attacks, then why are they happening? What is the talk of UVF/UDA? How are they involved?

If anyone doesn't want to post public;y, I'd love a PM!

To do something like this is just so cowardly and bully behaviour. I really hope they are caught, publicly named so everyone knows what scum they are and get serious jail time.

The likely culprits aren’t in the ‘Bully’ category when it comes to their scumbaggery.

Nobody should be surprised by these sort of things. If you’re in your 30’s or older now and had eyes and ears to catch the news in the 80’s/90’s, even as a kid, this is all very familiar and doesn’t come as much of a surprise at all.

quinns are a disgrace
    thugs involved in this are a disgrace
    quinn supporters are a disgrace

not much more to say. every now and again you catch a glimpse of the ireland of the past, this os one of those times. border thugs that think the ability to commit violence makes them something special or worthy.

and locals who play their part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭lola85

Am I missing something here?

Why all the fuss about an assault case when it happens everyday in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,977 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So is this another hint that the Quinns are behind these attacks?

I wish I knew what was going on!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

reg114 wrote: »
    I have always been suspicious of how Quinn could operate in the border area through the height of the troubles and not become a victim of extortion by the paramilitaries. He became the wealthiest man in Ireland under the noses of the provos ? Something isnt right. Fast forward a few years and his empire is wiped out and company is under new ownership yet the new board become victims of an unrelenting campaign employing similar methods used by the provos back in the day? Far too much of a coincidence all of this. What mystifies me is that total lack of arrests and convictions, again this is very similar to what we see in gangland / terrorist crimes. Will someone have to die before the authorities take this seriously ?

There silly boys the new owners , there not respecting there own or there families lives !
    There in over there Depth wether it’s double crossing Quinn , provos or whatever , any amount of money is not worth that hanging over u . A death sentence only worse as u don’t know when it’s coming !
    Run while u can before it’s too late would be my opinion !

• Registered Users Posts: 17,391 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I suspect a lot of people in this country would like to break some of the Quinn’s legs. They personally owe me €600 in lost insurance money and a lot more than that if you factor in how much my insurance AND YOURS has gone up since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 irishman45

t believe they shook Sean Quinn down but do believe they are shaking the new owners down like in the Sopranos.

Omg it’s fair bad what they did to the poor man - Ud want to be a fair bad ba—-t to deserve that . Bleach stabbed finger nails slashed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Some one made the point earlier that I'd never tought about before. Is that a local business on the border couldn't of got as successful as it did with out coming to the attention of the paramilitaries from late 80s to 2007.
    Whether the Quinn's were directly involved which I'd think they'd be to cute for that or else turning a blind eye to some of their drivers doing let's say "cross border nixers"
    And now with the new owners not playing ball as in all vehicles tracked and a strict log system our enterprising paramilitary courier revenue stream has run dry.
    Hence resorting to the only way they know how to grease the wheels of industry . Ignorance and violence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭tjhook

It's all speculation for the moment, although some of that speculation does sound credible.

What's important is that the sad little men who did this are taken off the streets. They have no place stuck to the arse of a functioning society.

I do think this time the state will be forced to act - it was a challenge to the authority of the state. It's very likely there are a number of people who know who carried out this act. When the gardai think they know who's involved in something serious, they're capable of bringing it to a satisfactory conclusion. Hopefully they will this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

tjhook wrote: »
    It's all speculation for the moment, although some of that speculation does sound credible.

What's important is that the sad little men who did this are taken off the streets. They have no place stuck to the arse of a functioning society.

I do think this time the state will be forced to act - it was a challenge to the authority of the state. It's very likely there are a number of people who know who carried out this act. When the gardai think they know who's involved in something serious, they're capable of bringing it to a satisfactory conclusion. Hopefully they will this time.

Honestly, if anything is done this time, the only reason why will be because it may damage the international reputation of Ireland as a safe place to do business in.

If the US owners of QIH kick up a fuss then other US businesses may take note and increase their risk rating for doing business in Ireland, which cuts into profit margins, which deters FDI.

As long as tax keeps being paid the powers that be don't give two figs about the authority of the state outside of the leafy parts of South Dublin where they live. Just look at the 2011 funeral of Alan Ryan when dissidents were given free reign to shut down North Dublin suburb Donaghmede, managing traffic and doing a uniform and balaclava volley of shots by the graveside, while the Gardai did SFA. Obviously if that happened in Donnybrook they'd get baton charged but anywhere else it's open season.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Some one made the point earlier that I'd never tought about before. Is that a local business on the border couldn't of got as successful as it did with out coming to the attention of the paramilitaries from late 80s to 2007.
    Whether the Quinn's were directly involved which I'd think they'd be to cute for that or else turning a blind eye to some of their drivers doing let's say "cross border nixers"
    And now with the new owners not playing ball as in all vehicles tracked and a strict log system our enterprising paramilitary courier revenue stream has run dry.
    Hence resorting to the only way they know how to grease the wheels of industry . Ignorance and violence.

This I believe is what is happening reading through the lines. The Quinn enterprise did not become so huge at the height of the troubles on the border without the provos benefiting in some way financially, it is simply impossible. My guess would be the new management have resisted repeated extortion attempts by ex-provos who are none too pleased they are no longer coining it. Id say the thugs involved are probably panicking too at the prospect of a hard border post Brexit when things could look very different. Essentially this is a failing of policing both north and south of the border, but hey whats new there. The gardai absolutely know the identities of these thugs but are doing nothing, much like it was back in the day.

ATM money all gone too after getting caught !
    They should know well if u stay at something long enough u will get caught.

The other directors could jump ship now so it might work what is after happening!

Like would u stay there to find out will u return home from work in the evening!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Extremely harrowing story this. An absolute attack on the fabric of society, that a man cannot go about his daily business. Whomever is responsible for this needs to be severely dealt with. Life changing injuries....really is disgusting that people can do this to other people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

walshb wrote: »
    Extremely harrowing story this. An absolute attack on the fabric of society, that a man cannot go about his daily business. Whomever is responsible for this needs to be severely dealt with. Life changing injuries....really is disgusting that people can do this to other people.

I’m sure Sean is rubbing his hands at the thought of QIH cutting their losses and selling it back to him at a big discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

look garda o donoughue shot , no charge ,
    that boy paul the trucker murdered in a shed with 20 men , no charge
    do you really think you will get a charge ,

i will eat my hat

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

I’m sure Sean is rubbing his hands at the thought of QIH cutting their losses and selling it back to him at a big discount.

I’m sure he’s not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 872 ✭✭✭martyoo

That's hardly going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sorry I'm with you on this.

I haven't a clue who is doing what in these attacks. Everyone is beating around the bush and hinting at this and that, but can anyone explain exactly what is happening and why?

OK, I'm going to guess these attacks are all the work of ex-IRA men. That's probably safe to say, no?

But what have they against the directors of the company? This is where I get lost.

Some are hinting that the Quinn family are behind the attacks, so are they meant to be hiring thugs to dish out beatings of the company just because old Sean ran up massive debts and had the company taken off him, and he's huffing?

If this isn't true, and the Quinn's have condemned the attacks, then why are they happening? What is the talk of UVF/UDA? How are they involved?

If anyone doesn't want to post public;y, I'd love a PM!

Do you read the papers? The board received a threatening letter regarding land access to a now French owned company, (formally Quinn property) stating that:
    The threat last May addressed the “directors of Quinn Building Products”, whom the anonymous authors said “facilitated the sale of the Quinn manufacturing businesses” and the “trespass by a French company over... lands”. The wind farm is accessed by legal rights of way over nearby holdings, including the factory site.

“The directors responsible for the above are Liam McCaffrey, John McCartin, Dara O’Reilly, Kevin Lunney and Tony Lunney, ” the letter read, referencing the executives and board members.

“We are putting you on notice that if this... trespass is not stopped immediately, we will be implementing a permanent solution for at least one of the above,” the letter continued.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/manufacturing/abducted-quinn-executive-was-threatened-with-permanent-solution-1.4022817

It's locals or people pretending to be locals wanting resolution to a local issue.
    FYI: the youngest of any ex-IRA would be in their late 40's.

Nice to see Coveney take the man's serious beating as a chance to score points. I'd be more impressed if the state caught these guys.

It seems this is only the most high profile of a number of Quinn related intimidations around the area.
    There's certainly an element of the old guard not liking them foreigners coming over here etc.
    It's like The Field ffs...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

kerry cow wrote: »
    look garda o donoughue shot , no charge ,

Incorrect, a man has been charged and is for trial later this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭spodoinkle

NIMAN wrote: »
    So is this another hint that the Quinns are behind these attacks?

I wish I knew what was going on!

Sean Quinn wants to regain the businesses he lost and supporters are intimidating the board members of QIH to sell the company, very simple.

Of the key figures blamed for the financial crash Quinn seemed to be one of the few remorseful ones, I had some sympathy for him then, that sympathy has long since evaporated (I'm not suggesting he or his family is involved in the intimidation).

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Of the key figures blamed for the financial crash Quinn seemed to be one of the few remorseful ones, I had some sympathy for him then, that sympathy has long since evaporated (I'm not suggesting he or his family is involved in the intimidation).

His family and himself tried to leave all the loss on the tax payer. He's a poster boy for the crash and the persistent greed and passing the buck that followed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

The new garda Commissioner is perfectly placed to appreciate exactly who is involved in border criminality and the implications of it , yet he has sat on his hands. Something stinks here, people are being protected perhaps because the PSNI and gardai think its easier to turn the blind eye and indulge ex-provos criminal behaviour rather than go after them and risk turning this into a potential terrorist escalation.

reg114 wrote: »
    The new garda Commissioner is perfectly placed to appreciate exactly who is involved in border criminality and the implications of it , yet he has sat on his hands. Something stinks here, people are being protected perhaps because the PSNI and gardai think its easier to turn the blind eye and indulge ex-provos criminal behaviour rather than go after them and risk turning this into a potential terrorist escalation.

Seriously read the paper. The board was threatened by locals regarding a land access issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Seriously read the paper. The board was threatened by locals regarding a land access issue.

ssshhhh ... you'll be ruining thoughts of the armchair experts with actual information

• Registered Users Posts: 12,362 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

There seem to be two threads on this.

It is making a bit of sense now and is connected to the themes of a book I am reading.

In the Quinns time right of way delth with by the persona touch the local connection the usual interconnection and reciprocity of very rural communities aslo know as 'any chance of putting in a word for a bit of work for my son, or my wife's second cousin's brother in law who lives beside us', new board of directors its all delth with by a firm of solicitors in Belfast.

It the same with some small contractor in Quinns time the personal connection might have played a part now it's very professional. The more those without the skills talents and abilities or the education to operate in the new professional environment the more the resentment builds up against the new company or ways of doing things.

mariaalice wrote: »
    There seem to be two threads on this.

It is making a bit of sense now and is connected to the themes of a book I am reading.

In the Quinns time right of way delth with by the persona touch the local connection the usual interconnection and reciprocity of very rural communities aslo know as 'any chance of putting in a word for a bit of work for my son, or my wife's second cousin's brother in law who lives beside us', new board of directors its all delth with by a firm of solicitors in Belfast.

It the same with some small contractor in Quinns time the personal connection might have played a part now it's very professional. The more those without the skills talents and abilities or the education to operate in the new professional environment the more the resentment builds up against the new company or ways of doing things.

Could well be the case. Of course, normal well-adjusted people don't react to such developments with threats of or actual violence. There is something badly culturally wrong with some of these families. Four men did the recent attack, it is not just some lone nutter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 bimlico

Allinall wrote: »
    I’m sure he’s not.

Someone paid these thugs a lot of money to do this. Now who, in that area has that kind of cash and clout. Also, who in that area would benefit most from QIH having to be sold off at a knockdown price because they can't guarantee the safety of management staff.
    Hmmm 😞😒

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement