Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UCI World Road Race Championships 2019

• 11-09-2019 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

The Worlds are just around the corner. Anyone know how many places Ireland have this year for the Men's Elite race? How does it work with entrant numbers? Will Sam Bennett's stage wins and accumulated UCI points increase the number of riders we have on the team? And, who's most likely to be racing for Ireland?

Also, who should I be looking out for in the women's races?

AND, the mixed team time trial looks cool! Will we have a team in that?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

6 place I think. All thanks to Big Sam. I hope they fill them all and not scripm about.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

Yes Sam has secured 6 places which is great. Bit of a worry though that Roche will miss out, is Mullen a doubt as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Dow99

Its a lumpy course & sometimes that suits Sam....Is Dan and Eddie doing this too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Pauline Ferrand Prevot in the ladies race for me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

The u23s goes up the a relatively short, but 16.9 max% and 7.3% average climb just outside Pately Bridge that has broken better folk than me in the past. I went up it once and it was such a slog.

Edited above: It's actually longer than I thought, the first KM is brutal though

https://veloviewer.com/segment/1097296

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Rode it the other day (on zwift 😉) I don't think it'll suit Sam at all

Actually did they change to course or was the bridge that got taken out in the floods repaired?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Kwiatkowski as an outside bet but hes been having a rubbish year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Enfilade wrote: »
    Actually did they change to course or was the bridge that got taken out in the floods repaired?

Temorary Bridge should be in place in time - http://www.richmondshiretoday.co.uk/steel-tubes-arrive-on-grinton-moor-for-bridge-repair-work/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »

Hard to look beyond the Dutch I think - Anna van der Breggan, Annemiek Van Vleuten, Chantal Black, her greatness Marianna Vos.
    Then you have Cecile Utrig(sp?) Ludwig, Kasia Niewadoma, Marta Bastionaelli, maybe even Amelie Diedrekson again.
    The Aussies will have a strong team too with Amanda Spratt, Sarah Roy and co.

I think it will be a Dutch rider, van Vleuten and Vos are on fire again and the team is savage strong.

*I know I spelt all of their names wrong :o

The Dutch are indeed beasts on the bike. The Polish part of me wants KN to do it and she well could but I just think the PFP is special. She did it before across the disciplines and has just won the mtb champs after injury so the stars are alining.

The problem with the Dutch women is they are all Dutch :pac:. You'd love to see these ladies go head to head on this course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

The Dutch are indeed beasts on the bike. The Polish part of me wants KN to do it and she well could but I just think the PFP is special. She did it before across the disciplines and has just won the mtb champs after injury so the stars are alining.

The stars are aligning as they did before for her alright.
    Enfilade wrote: »
    The problem with the Dutch women is they are all Dutch :pac:. You'd love to see these ladies go head to head on this course.

Aye, there is that. Imagine the fight to be the protected rider!

Michael Matthews has to be a decent bet at 25/1 after his showing in Quebec.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm going for Remco

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Odds must be narrowing on Pogacar

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Finnrocco

Wiggins said ages ago during first week of the vuelta that he thought Sam could get top 10.

Haven't seen what course is like but it always works out harder than they thought it would be.

Suppose it will be the usual, early break goes and gets 9 minutes, the field keeps getting whittled down, until there's only an elite group left with 30 k or so to go.

You would think on latest form:
    Van Der Poel, Matthews', Gilbert, Stybar, Valverde
    Cavagna, Fuglsang, Louis Leon, Trentin, Teuns
    Van Avermaet, Alaphillipe, Sagan, Woods
    maybe Dunbar and hopefully Sam
    perhaps Gesink and Mollema

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think Sam has a chance, given some of the finishes he made it to at least contest in the Vuelta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Its the world championships. Its always (well Copenhagen and Qatar excepted.....) a difficult course and this year is no different. 285km on a tough, undulating and technical circuit is going to make it very tough on Sam and the sprinters, but it would be great to see him in contention. It looks harder than Milan-SanRemo.

Men-Elite-Road-Race-1.jpg

All the Belgys could be in the final selection - except Declercq because he will chase the break all day (if hes not in it).

Elite men: Tim Declercq, Remco Evenepoel, Philippe Gilbert, Yves Lampaert, Oliver Naesen, Dylan Teuns, Greg Van Avermaet, Tim Wellens

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

I would suspect 2 weeks recovery might not be enough they were racing hard every day on the vuelta

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

She wasn't selected.

Lizzie Deignan can't be ruled out racing on home roads.

Bernal, Nibali and Kwiatkowski out. Roglic decides to go all in for the TT's and road races.

nak wrote: »
    She wasn't selected.

Lizzie Deignan can't be ruled out racing on home roads.

Not selected!?!? Wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

I would suspect 2 weeks recovery might not be enough they were racing hard every day on the vuelta

I dont think its a problem

Wont be for Gilbert

Anyone have any idea of how hard the circuit is?

I know the first 180 K has some climbs but would not expect it to be too hard, you would think they would just cruise until they got to the 7 x 14 k laps.

What is this lap like - is it Liege type climbs or shorter Flanders type?

I know there are loads of corners so if its wet that will have an impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Finnrocco wrote: »
    Anyone have any idea of how hard the circuit is?

I know the first 180 K has some climbs but would not expect it to be too hard, you would think they would just cruise until they got to the 7 x 14 k laps.

What is this lap like - is it Liege type climbs or shorter Flanders type?

I know there are loads of corners so if its wet that will have an impact.

There will be no cruising

It is a race of attrition and fast from the off

Many team will put the hammer down very early to lose the fast men esp Belgium

The issue for Sam Bennett is that there is alot of fast climbing which he can get up if under 200k and still be fast at the end but maybe not so fast at over 200K

Dan Martin has always been very good on the long stages as is GVA, Gilbert & Sagan

But no one will want to bring Bennett ,Sagan,Matthews or Trentin to the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,494 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Advertisement