Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Current affairs in Sweden

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

It's so, so unbelievably depressing how the left, which used to embrace cultural libertarianism as a fundamental core value, has become so unbelievably, gleefully supportive of ubiquitous political and ideological censorship over the last six or seven years. Truly depressing.

Come on, 'the left' or at least as it's known today, is a construct of the fearful right IMO. Anything conservative and uncool, the left. Banning a licence plate is more of a classic right wing move than left, just because it's Trump?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Get the violins out for this poor chap, he's had a rough experience.....

Not sure what your major defect is, son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Muzzlims, wha?

'Triggered' is a word used to try shut down opinions. You can only disagree or be annoyed at certain things it seems. For example, you felt the need to shut him down because you didn't like what he said so you use 'triggered' to make him seem like he's over reacting. Seems like he 'triggered' you into action ;)

latest?cb=20190503213157
    And I saw that same member getting very annoyed at someone giving out about tattoos. Much more annoyed than Deedles got - Deedles didn't even get that annoyed at all, but because it's a view the poster didn't like, the auld "triggered" sneer.

Anyway, I didn't think vehicle registration plates could be just modified willy nilly? If the guy got into trouble for tweeting something pro Trump, I'd understand concern, but there are restrictions on licence plate modification.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Seems Trump Derangement Syndrome is now a worldwide epidemic.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Chain of fast food shops over here called MAO, even have images of him in their establishments, the son of a bitch is responsible for millions of deaths and unimaginable suffering, the PC SJW folk have zero problem with this, now thats a strange one.
    I wonder why?
    Are you sure about that?

I assume you have been in touch with them to register your disgust and are trying to get them to change their ways, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Likely a message to Trump. Might even be a set up.
    Trump has a thing for Sweden, an odd thing.

It's a general alt-right thing and has been for some time.

While it might seem weird to be so concerned with the internal affairs of a country in northern europe with a population of 10 million people, you need to remember that every time an immigrant commits a crime in Sweden, breitbart gets a new front page. These guys know more about Sweden than the Swedes themselves. It's really quite impressive.

To be fair, I can see where the obsession came from. Various Swedish governments over the years have leaned a bit to the loony side of social issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Political plates routinely get rejected all the time, especially political plates or those that can be seen to misrepresent someone as an official - in this case TRUMP but in other cases eg. POTUS MAYOR GOVNR etc. get rejected too. Politically aggressive plates are even more regularly applied for and denied, eg. FKTRUMP, NOBAMA, etc.

NY State did at one time approve an OBAMA 08 plate but the driver found themselves constantly under threat of having the plates vandalized and stolen right off his vehicle.

Frankly I'm not sure what the fuss is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

biko wrote: »

Oh my god. I'm so angry. Somebody kill the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Simple solution: Have a normal reg plate and stick as many "Trump" political stickers as he wants on the bumpers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

notobtuse wrote: »
    Seems Trump Derangement Syndrome is now a worldwide epidemic.

TBF, Trump is deranged. They did him a favour :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

What opinion did he shut down?

All I saw was a question without a question mark. Leading me to believe its a rhetorical question. Can you shut down a rhetorical question?

Are you for real?
    What are you smoking?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I have, and in the city I stayed in white Europeans were very much in the minority.

What city was that? By very much, do you mean like 25% of the population?

Overheal wrote: »
    Political plates routinely get rejected all the time, especially political plates or those that can be seen to misrepresent someone as an official - in this case TRUMP but in other cases eg. POTUS MAYOR GOVNR etc. get rejected too. Politically aggressive plates are even more regularly applied for and denied, eg. FKTRUMP, NOBAMA, etc.

NY State did at one time approve an OBAMA 08 plate but the driver found themselves constantly under threat of having the plates vandalized and stolen right off his vehicle.

Frankly I'm not sure what the fuss is here.
    It's likely this is the reason, but of course it's being blown up as Trump derangement syndrome or a depressing example of censorship by the left. Exceptional dishonesty.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Overheal wrote: »
    In US I understand you cannot be driving around with POTUS, MAYOR etc, but this is a country on the other side of the world.

If US itself allowed a OBAMA 08 plate then for Sweden to reject a TRUMP plate is pure nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

greencap wrote: »
    Are you for real?
    What are you smoking?

You lads are gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

In US I understand you cannot be driving wound with POTUS, MAYOR etc, but this is a country on the other side of the world.

If US itself allowed a OBAMA 08 plate then for Sweden to reject a TRUMP plate is pure nonsense.
    But aren't there restrictions in general regarding licence plate modification? I mean it's virtually non existent here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Kista

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

I have, and in the city I stayed in white Europeans were very much in the minority.

Really? Thats interesting, what city was this? Reason I ask is because I live in Sweden, and have been to every major city in the country yet I must have clearly missed out on something? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Dr.Sanchez wrote: »
    Really? Thats interesting, what city was this? Reason I ask is because I live in Sweden, and have been to every major city in the country yet I must have clearly missed out on something? :confused:

Lagos.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

Kista

Kista is a small district in a borough in Stockholm, not a city. To say "...the city I stayed in white Europeans were very much in the minority." is utter horsesh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Kista

Kista's not a city. It's a small district in Stockholm. So the city you were in was Stockholm.

According to the SCB (http://www.statistikdatabasen.scb.se/), there was 320,902 people with a "foreign background" in Stockholm in 2018. That would include white Europeans from other countries.

There were 641,252 people with a "Swedish background"

So native Swedish people aren't in any way in the minority, let alone white Europeans.

Maybe the same brown people were walking past you multiple times?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

They have the stupidest off licence rules in the world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 328 ✭✭HailSatan

Raconteuse wrote: »
    But aren't there restrictions in general regarding licence plate modification? I mean it's virtually non existent here.

Here being Sweden? Or here being Ireland, with a pretend German plate passing you every minute in any decent traffic?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This is a complete non-story. It's right there in the OP:
    Therefore, signs that are deemed inappropriate are rejected, for example if they contain political messages or offensive words

It's a political message so therefore isn't allowed in accordance with the existing rules. I'm not entirely sure why it warranted a thread of its own in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I remember watching a Tim Pool documentary when he was in Sweden and some guy put up on Facebook he thought Trump would make a good president, he was then contacted by his friends and family to remove the post incase he gets fired from his job, They certainly have issues over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Sweden be Sweden.

Sweeds guna sweed?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

In US I understand you cannot be driving around with POTUS, MAYOR etc, but this is a country on the other side of the world.

It’s their prerogative is what it is. They probably don’t want to police all the potential vandalism, petty theft and road rage that could result.

Raconteuse wrote: »

If by here you mean Ireland, you can't legally have personalised/customised plates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Muzzlims, wha?

'Triggered' is a word used to try shut down opinions. You can only disagree or be annoyed at certain things it seems. For example, you felt the need to shut him down because you didn't like what he said so you use 'triggered' to make him seem like he's over reacting. Seems like he 'triggered' you into action ;)

latest?cb=20190503213157

Aww you went through the trouble of posting a pic of trigger from only fools and horses. How sweet of you. That determined I get your pointless point across. Nice try though. I’ll applaud your effort

Advertisement