Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hikes

• 27-08-2019 4:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭

Hi

Looking for recommendations for places to go hiking for 4-6 days in mid September, ideally in central/northern Europe. Pretty good fitness level, but not looking for a heavy duty mountain hike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Try the "Four Springs Trail" in Switzerland. It's in the mountains, but I wouldn't consider it "heavy duty" - myself and my son did one of the four stages last year as a "day off" between two more challenging treks. We met loads of people (especially young women ... :confused: ) who were doing the full trail. There are small inns along the route that offer food and accommodation, so you can keep away from civilisation for the whole length of your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭CardinalJ

Ryanair fly to Lourdes in the French Pyrenees. Im just back

Youre about 45 mins from nice villages at 1200m where you can base yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Have a look at " The fishermans way " . This is part of a walk called the " Rota Vincintina " on the west coast of Portugal.
    Fabulous scenic walking along the Atlantic ocean with beautiful villages to stay in . Great food , drink and value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Did you find a decent trail, OP, and where did you go if you did?

I was reminded of this thread when reading a NYT article about some Swiss walks earlier today, which included the following advice:
    The path is rocky but safe. Small children should be put in backpacks, or otherwise secured, at this point.
    :pac:

The article also says to "take the times indicated in the hiking brochures and on the trail signs seriously" - perhaps not the best way of warning that the times indicated on the signs are accurate if you're an Alpine resident, well used to belting along a hiking trail at 2500m after Sunday lunch. Myself and SonNo.1 are good, fairly fast walkers, well used to rough ground and "weather", but we found the times on the signposts to be the limit of what we could manage with our "sea-level" lungs! :D

Advertisement