Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork Vs Limerick for MMA/BJJ clubs??

• 06-08-2019 8:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭

Any gyms that consistently enter fighters in to pro mma shows;

And/or compete in national class BJJ competitions.

Between these two cities - do they both have clubs that meet this criteria?

I'm a Cork/Limerick blank slate - educate me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

If you're looking for pure JiuJitsu in Cork I would recommend BJJ Cork run by Black Belt Liam Beechinor.

If you're looking for pure JiuJitsu in Limerick I would recommend Fergal Quinlan whos also a black belt.

There are no MMA gyms in Limerick as far as I am aware with professional fighters.

Liam Beechinor has had a hand in a lot of guys development in MMA in cork but at the moment I think MMA Cork is being run by Aaron Maguire, Jack Maguire and maybe John Mitchell is training there too, I'm not sure on what his story is atm, fighting soon I know.

SBG Cork City have produced an Amatuer world champion in Ryan Spillane.

Outside of that, you have Team FM ,T45, and Black Riders all operating out of Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Liam in BJJ Cork runs the Cork Open and Co-Organises the Irish Open with Barry Oglesby. I've lost to his students plenty of times in competition, he competes himself regularly throughout the year and he probably has the best jiujitsu team in the south of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭cletus

Shark Bait MMA in Limerick is run by Ger Healy. It has (or used to have) close ties to Limerick BJJ. Don't know if there are pro fighters there at the moment, but he definitely has amateur fighters competing regularly

• Registered Users Posts: 38,925 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Personally I think the biggest factor should location of the gym in relation to your home, workplace, and the timing of your travel to/from work.
    that's going to have a much bigger impact on you personally than how successful a team is in competition.

For example, BJJ Cork (Liam Beechinor) and Limerick BJJ Academy (Fergal Quinlan) are about a two hours apart. If one was 15 mins away, it would be insane to spend 3 hours extra travelling to the other one.
    The difference in coaching at either gym is definitely not going to justify that.

Advertisement